My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Parts collector
3,342 Posts
I have a slopped yard that I turn on all the time. I've been running a 314 with turf tires for years but I have 80# hanging on the back with chains I don't take off after the winter and snowblower mode. I ran a 140 sideways on a run off swail at my first house with no problems you just need to scoot your butt to the high side of the seat. :tango_face_wink:

Just acquired a 332 with turf tires and no weight on the back and I don't spin much at all. I would love to get a pair of HDAPs for it and load them but I have better things to do with $200. I'll chunk chains on it and attach the snow blower and be done. :tango_face_grin:

The thing is with a 4x4 (trucks, cars, tractors) people tend to "believe" they are "invincible" and never think about what they are getting into. :tango_face_crying:I have 4x4 trucks SUVs but run them in 2wd until I need 4x4. :tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I find this a weird argument; don't have a capability because you might think you have a bigger capability.
If you're not smart enough to use a vehicle without getting stuck, you'll get stuck, even if it has tracks.

I definitely fall into this category; and I'm sure if I had 2wd I'd also get stuck.
But more often.

4wd is also great for steering sometimes, like when dragging a brush cutter or plowing, even when the rear traction will keep you moving.

If you just use your tractor to mow your lawn and don't get stuck, that's great too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Comparing apples to apples, a X495 weighs 1000 lbs and a X595 1080 lbs. I'm not losing any sleep over the 80 lbs and run it in 2WD 95+% of the time even pushing snow which we get our fair share of. I'm not sure how much extra I paid for it on a 15 yo machine but whatever it was and the 80 lbs are worth every penny/lb for that 5% of the time. The X300 seems to get the lawn mowed just fine without it though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Some of this argument comes down to a 4wd version having more capability or letting you get work done faster or easier. It's not that a 2wd can't get the job done, it's just that having 4wd might do it better. Only part of the advantage of 4wd is about not getting stuck in the mud or snow. The biggest advantage in my opinion, that if used correctly, a 4wd can simply get more work done in some situations because it can put more power to the ground. There is a reason most farm tractors and backhoes (tractor with a front end loader and backhoe) are now 4wd, and it's not so you can kick it into 4wd only when you get stuck in mud. You use 4wd whenever you are working the equipment as it puts more power to the ground and limits tire slippage.

Now I won't argue that many people don't need a 4wd version lawn mower as the extra capability is not needed....if you have a flat lawn with no wet spots it doesn't really gain you anything.

·
Choke's stuck on!
496 Posts
c5rulz: I detect exactly 2 bare sport in your lawn. Unacceptable. Tear it out and re-sod this minute.

Obviously j/k man and yes 4WD is great. Just like golf the game is easier with the good ($$$) clubs.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
c5rulz: I detect exactly 2 bare sport in your lawn. Unacceptable. Tear it out and re-sod this minute.

Obviously j/k man and yes 4WD is great. Just like golf the game is easier with the good ($$$) clubs.
I'll answer each point:

#1. The two spots in question, the first if you look closely is not a bare spot but a stump I cut off at ground level so I could mow over the top. The 2nd is from my wife Hundreds and Hundreds of pounds of sunflower seeds and assorted other bird seed in her bird feeders. The turkeys come and scratch and the grass does not grow there.

#2. Golf clubs don't have to be expensive, but they do have to fit the player. My clubs are: M3 Taylor made driver, (new last week). Taylor made Rocket balz 3 wood, (very old). Titleist hybrids, 19,26 & 27 degreee. Titleist Vokey wedges 56 & 60 degree. But the irons are clones I had built and they are certainly good enough for my handicap. I am a 7 right now trending to 6 which sucks because I have to give the whining crybabies at the course strokes. Just got back from the battle a half hour ago. Got them for a few bucks today and surprisingly enough, that makes me happy.:tango_face_angel:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have to say it. Kinda hard to get 4 wheel drive on my tractors when they only have 2 wheels ? yea I know I'm in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Begone, heathen! :tango_face_wink: I assume a locking differential would be the closest comparison on a 2-wheel tractor?
My Grillo G85D has a differential lock My Gravely Professional 12 has steering brakes to stop the spinning wheel and power to the one getting traction

·
Registered
840 Posts
Cool. I've been curious about left/right brakes, for helping with this sort of thing. They seem like maybe a simpler solution than trying to implement a locking differential in a transaxle, or than 4WD. And, of course, they could help with the scary situation of an open differential, and a single locked rear wheel, in a runaway-down-the-hill scenario. And, unlike a locked diff, the machine would still be easy to turn.

But they've made me curious, do you kind of need the "proper" touch to make them effective? Say you spin your right wheel, and the left one just sits there. You want to apply some brake to the right wheel, to transfer torque to the left. But *too* much right brake, and you just swap your problem, so the right wheel presumably stops, and you spin the left, instead. Do you just kind of ease onto the brake for the spinning wheel, until hopefully you start moving, and both wheels keep turning?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cool. I've been curious about left/right brakes, for helping with this sort of thing. They seem like maybe a simpler solution than trying to implement a locking differential in a transaxle, or than 4WD. And, of course, they could help with the scary situation of an open differential, and a single locked rear wheel, in a runaway-down-the-hill scenario. And, unlike a locked diff, the machine would still be easy to turn.

But they've made me curious, do you kind of need the "proper" touch to make them effective? Say you spin your right wheel, and the left one just sits there. You want to apply some brake to the right wheel, to transfer torque to the left. But *too* much right brake, and you just swap your problem, so the right wheel presumably stops, and you spin the left, instead. Do you just kind of ease onto the brake for the spinning wheel, until hopefully you start moving, and both wheels keep turning?
I takes some getting use to this the first gravely that I have had with steering brakes. I have usually had a gravely most of my adult life until about 10 years ago my gravely at that time developed major engine problems and my job went away at the same time. So I didn't fix it it was sold . When I got back on my feet in a new job in a new location I could not find a gravely in decent condition, that they didn't think was gold . So I bought a new Grillo g85d with a tiller and mower deck. A few months ago I was going through a tough time with my anxiety and depression issues. I friend called me and said he had something that belonged with me. He gave me a excellent condition Gravely professional 12 it came with a snow blade. I have since acquired a 40 kidney style mower deck I have one strip on the side of my yard that is hairy to mower on a rider just a little pressure on the up hill wheel and it is no problem for the gravely

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
One good thing all of the manufacturers offer is many different models with many different options to fit many different scenarios.
And it makes the manufacturers create better products in the long run.
I can remember when it was normal to rebuild a v8 with a maybe 150 hp at 100,000 miles. Now 3 - 4 hundred thousand miles on a v6 with 300 hp and 25 mpg and so clean even Cali is by all comparisons nearly smog free. And it is now expected and the normal.
But even they have their fair share of 4X4 trucks. For whatever reason I am sure are justified in their own mind.
Over kill for sure. But an option available if wanted. Most will never get dirt on them and will never ever under any circumstance be run on anything but paved road.
Knowing how to use 2 WD with proper tires / pressure most seasoned off roaders could put even an intermediate driver in a 4X4 to shame. Snow in our part of the world proves this. I would love to see the faces of some of the people who are novices in some of your off road parks in a vehicle with an expert driver.
From the time we moved onto our acreage which is fairly flat I am wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyy more comfortable running my equipment. This past winter we had more snow than ever and is the first year I did not have to fire up another tractor to pull myself out of being stuck. Experience matters apparently.
A couple of years ago I purchased a 4010 with loader and mower. Within a couple of weeks owning it I soon found it was not for our acreage / lifestyle. Too big and heavy for mowing. Rad screen constantly plugged.
Sold it to my neighbor who also has a Z-turn and it fits him exactly.
We got our driveway paved this summer so will need to check out chains and turfs still or lug tires.
Just a side note that it was paved very poorly and has already been repaired by another company. This company works both in the U.S. and Canada. Would i use them again? Not a hope! If you are thinking of asphalt feel free to PM me and i will supply you their name.
When lawn / garden tractors first came out they bear no resemblance to today's models. Tires pretty much same thing. And yet when they were new what a revelation. No 4wd and very few options to improve them. No griping, no complaining, no blogs. Just learn how to use them and what their limitations were.
EM = MC/P (expectation must equal machine capability divided by patience)
I have a customer with a 12 hp tractor who has maintained a very nice 5 acre yard and large garden as well as blowing snow in the winter. She bought the setup new 25 or 30 years ago and has no problems with any of it.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I bought a Snapper Pro 52" hydro walkbehind mower, and decided to make it work year round by making up a 54" plow attachment for it. Works great, and I have complete control over the power going to each wheel. It doesn't have enough weight to do angled plowing in snow that's very deep, but as a snow-pusher (I also made some wings for the plow to hold more snow) it can keep pushing with the plow completely filled and spilling over the top and both sides.

It works so well, I've bought another walkbehind (Husqvarna 52" hydro) and have started making a broom attachment for it.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have to say it. Kinda hard to get 4 wheel drive on my tractors when they only have 2 wheels ? yea I know I'm in the wrong forum.

Alll comments are welcome!:tango_face_smile:

My neighbor mows lawns commercially with Exmark zero turns. He admits mowing slopes is pretty scary. Two years ago his high school age son was working with him. He was on a slope that was a little wet and he strayed a little too far from where Dad normally turns. He tipped the mower over on himself and bruised his chest and heart so severely there was internal bleeding and for a couple days thought he might die. This was kind of my point in this thread, slopes are dangerous.:tango_face_plain:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Alll comments are welcome!:tango_face_smile:

My neighbor mows lawns commercially with Exmark zero turns. He admits mowing slopes is pretty scary. Two years ago his high school age son was working with him. He was on a slope that was a little wet and he strayed a little too far from where Dad normally turns. He tipped the mower over on himself and bruised his chest and heart so severely there was internal bleeding and for a couple days thought he might die. This was kind of my point in this thread, slopes are dangerous.:tango_face_plain:
Oh, can completely agree with you that slopes are dangerous and quite difficult to mow. I have a section that I mow that is the right of way for the road that has a part of a hill that is more severe than yours, c5rulz.
The local chain gang from the state prison are the ones that normally mow the right of ways, but they have done just such a terrible job that I asked them not to. The hill is an embankment for the bridge over the creek that forms one side of my property and has to be 45° for a 20 foot run. The entire section of road right of way forms another side of the property and is a more gentle slope that forms a swale to the abrupt 3 foot hill marking the start of the property. The chain gang uses zero turns and has tried just about every way to mow this section and they all look like crap. Huge ruts from the zero turns trying to make it up, down or across the steep hill, scalping all along the swale and the best part is when they would discharge it all onto my property, huge clods of dirt & grass. The entire right of way is 350 feet long and 50 feet wide.
I do the more gentle slopes with the rider and use a string trimmer for the steep section right next to the drop off to the creek and a push mower for the 3 foot hill. Takes longer but looks so much better. That edge of the creek is a vertical 10 foot drop.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

Pretty much. It takes some practice, and if you are in a hurry, chances are you will overshoot that sweet spot. :)

·
Parts collector
3,342 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Those first two pics were very early in the season. I took these last night. The temps here have been in the mid nineties for quite a while along with very high humidity but mowing at 3.5" has kept the grass looking pretty decent.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The orchard is starting to look like a real orchard. All the trees on trellis were planted in 2016,2017 & 2018.

The small ones that look scrawny but have apples were pruned yesterday to columnarize the tree.

Attachments

·
Handshake Seals the Deal
243 Posts
Nice orchard. Looks sharp.? Good nice clean grass cut to.

We need some rain bad here in North SC. Our grass is kinda brown. Lots of dust. Haven't cut my lawn for quite a while now.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts