My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Parts collector
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
10,401 Posts
I’ve bought and refurbished 3 JD cabs. All for the 318’s and similar. I just wait until the first cold snowfall with wind and poof that cab is gone.
Can’t find those $150 fixer-uppers anymore, for some reason.

·
Parts collector
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ve bought and refurbished 3 JD cabs. All for the 318’s and similar. I just wait until the first cold snowfall with wind and poof that cab is gone.
Can’t find those $150 fixer-uppers anymore, for some reason.
Exactly

·
JD X585 owner
513 Posts
wow that is a lot of snow
That was an 8 inch storm a couple years ago. Very common in the Northeast although this year in our area we only had one snow fall exceed 6 inches. It's been generally mild this winter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
We had snow flurries yesterday and it turned cold for our standards 25 this morning. We have had a mild winter also with lots of rain

·
Registered
892 Posts
It’d be interesting to see how well a new cab would fit, like the one from the X7xx LP41114 I think. I prefer the flat front instead of the one from the X3xx, maybe X5xx and it’s about 3” shorter so you can get into a 7’ garage door. Most like the clips would not fit the fender pan very well as well as the handle/frame parts wouldn’t match the handle mounting holes, but that could be worked out..
The main problem I find with the X738 is the reverse air flow and screens in front of both feet. Yesterday the snow was very dry and by the time I cleared 4 drives, both feet were covered in snow and with 10* out it got chilly. Still better than the first winter getting covered with an inch of snow all over.
View attachment 2446006
View attachment 2446007
With both my 455 and x748 with cabs, I've covered those screens with black plastic and painters tape. Not the prettiest but cuts off the cold air flow thru the cab to the point I don't even hook up the heater. I've not noticed the temp gauge go up one iota higher because of them, either. obviously I remove them come spring, but when its freezing temps out, the radiator pulls plenty of air thru it from under the hood anyway.

·
Super Moderator
13,227 Posts
Could be the trend for the year. After the winter of 2018/19.... snow removal equipment in Eastern South Dakota is a premium. Last February we finally had so much snow people started buying larger snow removal equipment. Start of winter 2018/19 not a single of the 5 neighbors within a mile of the house had a blower for their CUT... this winter all 5 have blowers! Over this past summer the blowers slowly showed up.... and all summer when blowers are cheap they were an extra $1,000 or more for a CUT all summer.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts