My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Parts collector
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So riddle me this batman.

Why does every fool that has a "ratted out, rusty, torn plastic doors and no front vinyl" cab for a 200-300 series tractor think he has gold and it's worth $500?

Man I wish I had messaged that guy about the one for $75 a day sooner.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Because they are rare as hens teeth..... :) I seriously considered picking up a tractor, with blower and blade, JUST for the cab.... and then selling off everything else. :)

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
They aren’t that rare. I usually see several for sale every year and yes they are usually overpriced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,863 Posts
Most of them selling them are flippers now though and really don't know what they are doing. Saw one on eBay close to where I live and he had it with a Buy it Now price of over $400. The problem is half the pieces were missing!

·
Administrator
5,039 Posts
Because it's winter and people think the cab will help keep out the cold. Some will pay extra for that I guess.
Me, I just bundle up with more layers and out I go............... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Because it's winter and people think the cab will help keep out the cold. Some will pay extra for that I guess.
Me, I just bundle up with more layers and out I go............... :rolleyes:
I'm weird and demented. I actually like it. Never saw the need/worth of a cab.

·
Parts collector
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm semi northern (central PA) and can handle the cold, but after being out in the cold all day working, being 55 with bad knees and now a bad back I'd like "to-not-to" get snow frozen to me cleaning the driveway off. ;) Thus the reason I was looking for one.

I guess I can just get the plow truck running again and sit in the heat for 15 mins instead of 40 mins on the tractor. :ROFLMAO:

Hey You, I would do that too but my wife would kill me. Heck I still haven't sold the 2 tractors I was supposed to sell when I bought the 332. LOL..............

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I'm semi northern (central PA) and can handle the cold, but after being out in the cold all day working, being 55 with bad knees and now a bad back I'd like "to-not-to" get snow frozen to me cleaning the driveway off. ;) Thus the reason I was looking for one.

I guess I can just get the plow truck running again and sit in the heat for 15 mins instead of 40 mins on the tractor. :ROFLMAO:

Hey You, I would do that too but my wife would kill me. Heck I still haven't sold the 2 tractors I was supposed to sell when I bought the 332. LOL..............

I feel for you! It would be tough being outside all day and then have to freeze on the tractor. I will have to say however that a cab would be nice. It seems that for me I'm off and on the tractor a fair amount and the cab would kind of get in the way.

My Daughter snapped the attached photo of me cleaning up from blowing this past Sunday after the 12" of snow that we got Saturday night!!! I texted this to my sister who flew out from MSP today heading to Bali, said that I'd be thinking of her from home!

P.S. The back wheel is not falling off!!! It's AWS which I would not be without!!!

JD425 w-46.jpeg

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm weird and demented. I actually like it. Never saw the need/worth of a cab.

Real men don't need no stinkin cabs. I've always liked the cold and there can be plenty of it up here in the northeast. More layers and more prayers. That's all it takes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
P.S. The back wheel is not falling off!!! It's AWS which I would not be without!!!
What size spacers are you running on those tires? I looked through your post history and it looks like you're using 26x12-12 Carlisle Field Trax with chains. I have an 425 AWS as well, and that's the tire size I want to go with, but I wasn't sure it would clear with chains and spacers. I've seen others running 25x10.5-12 All Trails, but I'd rather go with wider 12" tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What size spacers are you running on those tires? I looked through your post history and it looks like you're using 26x12-12 Carlisle Field Trax with chains. I have an 425 AWS as well, and that's the tire size I want to go with, but I wasn't sure it would clear with chains and spacers. I've seen others running 25x10.5-12 All Trails, but I'd rather go with wider 12" tires.
Non-winter I have a pair of 26X12-12 Grim Reapers on the back and they are a bit taller and narrower, I think kind of cool. In the winter as shown the 26X12-12 Field Trax. They do get kind of wide as you can see. I don't really like the look, but there is something about those with the chains...it goes through anything . Almost unstoppable. The spacers are the standard JD item. The chains do run close to the rear steering arms but it has been ok as I use a lower grade chain which isn't as bulky as an HD chain would be. As I use the 46 snowthrower it isn't as wide as the 47 so the tires are out there in unblown snow. Probably not ideal. If I had extra time I'd fabricate wings for the snowthrower to take a wider swath. I have alot of retaining walls that I blow up against and the wide rears aren't ideal for that either. When you turn away from the wall the rear tire turns into it. A side benefit of the taller tires is it really is much faster. I did have to modify the mower deck arms to give more space between back of deck (54) and front of rear tires. Because of that I also lengthened the pto shaft to the mower deck gear box by an inch and a quarter. All in all I really like it. It works perfectly for me. I'm thankful every time i get on it!

:)RS

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did have to modify the mower deck arms to give more space between back of deck (54) and front of rear tires. Because of that I also lengthened the pto shaft to the mower deck gear box by an inch and a quarter.
Great information, thank you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great information, thank you!
____

You're welcome. I wish I had more time to be on here. Excellent forum with great people and information! I have a 3 pt hitch to put on my 425, I'd like to add more hydraulic spools to have the hitch work independently from the deck. I have the process worked out in theory, but don't have the practical experience with hydraulics so I'm hesitant to get started😕 Maybe between snowblowing season and spring work...RS
To the OP good luck with the Cab!

·
Parts collector
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel for you! It would be tough being outside all day and then have to freeze on the tractor. I will have to say however that a cab would be nice. It seems that for me I'm off and on the tractor a fair amount and the cab would kind of get in the way.

My Daughter snapped the attached photo of me cleaning up from blowing this past Sunday after the 12" of snow that we got Saturday night!!! I texted this to my sister who flew out from MSP today heading to Bali, said that I'd be thinking of her from home!

View attachment 2445999

Yep that what I look like with a 200ft driveway and 2 car parking area at the top I get covered. It's even tougher if I blow the driveway before I got to work to go to work after. LOL............

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
So riddle me this batman.

Why does every fool that has a "ratted out, rusty, torn plastic doors and no front vinyl" cab for a 200-300 series tractor think he has gold and it's worth $500?

Man I wish I had messaged that guy about the one for $75 a day sooner.
It’d be interesting to see how well a new cab would fit, like the one from the X7xx LP41114 I think. I prefer the flat front instead of the one from the X3xx, maybe X5xx and it’s about 3” shorter so you can get into a 7’ garage door. Most like the clips would not fit the fender pan very well as well as the handle/frame parts wouldn’t match the handle mounting holes, but that could be worked out..
The main problem I find with the X738 is the reverse air flow and screens in front of both feet. Yesterday the snow was very dry and by the time I cleared 4 drives, both feet were covered in snow and with 10* out it got chilly. Still better than the first winter getting covered with an inch of snow all over.

·
JD X585 owner
513 Posts
I don't have a cab on my X585. Generally, I don't mind not having one, but if the wind is swirling, it would be nice to have one to keep the snow out of my face.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That looks like what I cleared today around the neighborhood, more at a friend’s where I hadn’t cleared the last two snows of 2” & 1” plus the new 5”+ today. First time driving my X738 54” blower and my friend’s Kubota BX2380 50” blower in the same snow (day). Beginning to think I made the right choice with the Deere, but I have to keep it to myself so he doesn’t feel bad. I do like the steady power of the Kubota diesel though. Warmed up enough for the snow coming down to stick to the cab windows.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts