My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my ford ranger. My tires are wearing unevenly so I took the truck to the shop. The mechanic says I need new struts, shocks, sway bar and lower ball joints. There is play in the lower ball joints. I replaced the lower ball joints last year? Oh get this, Midas also wanted 130 dollars to change the serpentine belt. HA HA HA!

Anyone have experience with ball joints?

thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chinese replacement parts are typically cheap, junk and failure prone w/ not much life expectancy. i figure that is what the mechanic put in there for you last yr. I dont know what yr your Ranger is but a good Moog ball joint runs about $50 ea, spend the money and do it right, even if it means supplying your mechanic with the part (if you're not goona do the job yourself).

here is a link for you

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQFordQQRangerQQMoogQQBall_JointQQ2005QQMOK8695T.html

heres some pics of the new suspension from last yr, always use US made parts........if you can get them... seems US made parts are going the way of the buffalo, sad to say

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts
Does the ranger have twin I beam frontend like a F150..Only way to get them lined right is tweak the frame...Usally done at a real truck repair shop...B,:trink40:

·
JD318
990 Posts
Ditto on the Moogs...Ford should install them at the Factory.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sure it's nothing that a gold bowtie on the front wouldn't fix !!! $130 to change a belt? Were they gonna kiss you after that?

·
Registered
36 Posts
fords are common for front brakes and ball joints ... dunno why but it is so like stated get moogs, alot of parts stores will have a limited lifetime warrenty on these as well. i suggest you get a ball joint repair kit and get used to it

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Because it is a FORD....Fix Or Repair Daily...sorry I couldn't resist...:D

If you run some internet searches, you will discover this is a KNOWN phenomena...that FORD seems to have ignored...:(

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think a few years ago the Dakotas were going through the same deal. It's as if these manufacturers wake up one morning and pretend they've NEVER before built a good product, and design some junk

·
15,000 +posts!
20,450 Posts
Its common knowledge that Rangers,especially 4x4's "eat" ball joints--so do Dodge Durango's and some Dakotas,and GM 88 and newer trucks,especially 4x4s too..seems they put cheap ball joints in them at the factory,that were undersized for the weight of the vehicles and they wore out rapidly..many cant be greased too,which doesn't help!..

GM did issue some recalls and had to replace many under warranty,Dodge never did that I know of..I have seen a '03 Durango at my friends shop with only 27K on it,that had t be TOWED in,when the ball joint separated!..really screwed the body up BAD too,when it hit the pavement..you'd think a 25,000 dollar vehicle would not have such a catastrophic failure in such a short time,but sadly,its not uncommon,and not limited to Dodge's either..
I cant belive how rusted many 2000 and up vehicles undercarriages are too.:(

·
Registered
867 Posts
In the shop where I work we have been installing a lot of Moog problem solvers in fleet vehicles, tie rod ends and ball joints. I'm not impressed!!! A lot of these parts are loose in 10000 miles. OEM replacement parts are lasting much longer then the Moogs. The Moog lifetime warranty doesn't apply to commercial use. I think Moog was a good brand in the past, now I'm not so sure.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,450 Posts
In the shop where I work we have been installing a lot of Moog problem solvers in fleet vehicles, tie rod ends and ball joints. I'm not impressed!!! A lot of these parts are loose in 10000 miles. OEM replacement parts are lasting much longer then the Moogs. The Moog lifetime warranty doesn't apply to commercial use. I think Moog was a good brand in the past, now I'm not so sure.

Same thing has been my experience too!--it USED to be MOOG was THE "best" as far as suspention parts--but we sold TRW,Mquay-Noriss,Perfect Circle,and even "cheap" Amgauge brand suspension parts and rarely had any complaints or comebacks with them too..

My friend has installed many Moog parts on vehicles in recent years,and has had many come back "loose" in a short period of time,some as little as 5000 miles in some cases..I noticed some of the Moog boxes had stickers with "origin of manufacture" on them,some were made in Mexico,China,Istanbul,and Pakistan!...seems they are no different than any other brand now,setting up shop in forigen countries to avoid taxes and to stay competitive with other cheap brands..

I see no reason to stay "loyal" to Moog and buy their products now,which are no better and often much costlier than other brands out there..I think your taking a gamble nowadays no matter WHO'S parts you buy--big names like Gates,Dayco,Monroe,Gabriel,and Walker are NOT the quality lines they once were in my opinion,that enjoyed a good reputation..they make and sell just as much junk as anyone else now-but demand a higher price because many still think they are "good" parts..doesn't matter what brand you buy now,its a pig in a poke whether it'll hold up or not nowadays..I dont like riding on suspention parts made in countries that dont exactly like america,myself!--who makes Moog's parts in Pakistan,the "Bin Ladin Manufacturing Co"..?????
:eek:
:(

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What kind of roads are you driving on. Dirt, Gravel extremly bumpy? This will cause alot of wear on them as well, and as everyone has stated, Rangers are bad about ball joints anyways.

·
Registered
292 Posts
the factory uses rather cheap parts and if you replace them with cheap poorly made parts it just adds to it i have an 86 with over 200,000 on it and still has all the original frontend parts ball joints and all only thing that isnt are the shocks but i keep it greased well every 3000 the front end parts get greased I have used cheap parts before and replaced them anywhere from a month to a year later so i agreee buy moog or another high quality part from napa ,auto value or carquest stay away from the parts that murrays autozone ect sell unless they are moog also stay away from the trw brand they will wear out quickly every time . it isnt an alignment issue and you can align them without tweaking the frame there are special adapters that fit in the ball joint hole that adjust for caster and camber most shops will charge $35-$50 for the adapter and another $25-$50 for the install on top of th e alignment . my oppinion is find a high quality part ive never had to replace more than one set of them over the life of a vehicle if kept greased and nothing has been hit or involved in a wreck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts