My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Craftsman gt6000 horazontal shaft, and a '01 simplicity broodmore 17 ohv
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a Briggs 17hp vanguard that is cranking very slow, it had too much oil so I drained some, and I am going to crank it over, the question I want to ask is why is it cranking so slowly, could it be a bad solenoid, or bad wiring?

· Registered
5,832 Posts
A few things come to mind:
Did this slow cranking come on suddenly or gradually?
What caused the over fill of the oil. Just filling error or was gas seeping into the crankcase?
How old is your battery? If you swap it out temporarily or jump it with a known good battery does it still crank slowly?
Check all cable connections including grounds to be sure they are all clean and tight.
Pull the spark plugs and crank. Does it spin quickly, does oil get expelled out of the plug holes?
If this gradually got worse, check the valve lash. Too much might be closing too soon creating a higher than designed compression that the starter can't handle well.

Maybe others will have more or different things to check for.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

· Super Moderator
17,732 Posts
What caused the over fill of the oil. Just filling error or was gas seeping into the crankcase?
How old is your battery? If you swap it out temporarily or jump it with a known good battery does it still crank slowly?
Check all cable connections including grounds to be sure they are all clean and tight.
Pull the spark plugs and crank. Does it spin quickly, does oil get expelled out of the plug holes?
If this gradually got worse, check the valve lash. Too much might be closing too soon creating a higher than designed compression that the starter can't handle well.

Good point about HOW you wound up with too much oil ...make sure there is no gas in it...if there is...dump it and change the oil and filter

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

it spun over slowly once the previos owner had it serviced, same reson for the high oil, had it serviced and it came back with high oil

· Super Moderator
17,732 Posts
What do you mean by "same reason for the high oil"?...a reason for high oil would be if you have a solenoid on the carb that is not holding, allowing gas into the carb after the key is turned off...it continues on into the engine flooding the crankcase ...so it would be diluted and not give the lubrication that it should

· Registered
993 Posts
What do you mean by "same reason for the high oil"?...a reason for high oil would be if you have a solenoid on the carb that is not holding, allowing gas into the carb after the key is turned off...it continues on into the engine flooding the crankcase ...so it would be diluted and not give the lubrication that it should
Sound like it had high oil more than once----so you are right on.

· Registered
5,832 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner got some bad service last time around. Either they overfilled the oil or missed checking the fuel shut off solenoid.
Almost all of the the posted suggestions can be checked for free. You might need to buy a valve cover gasket set when checking valve lash.
Try going through each one in a process of elimination. It is likely that you will find that one of them is where the problem is.
Be methodical and patient, you can find the problem and get it fixed, likely with little cost.

By the way, can you call the servicer and see exactly what services they performed? Might be helpful information for you.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so when we had it serveced it came back with high oil, it was a pain to start and it wasnt even running for a hour, I dont think it could be gas due to it is a fuel pump model.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like the previous owner got some bad service last time around. Either they overfilled the oil or missed checking the fuel shut off solenoid.
Almost all of the the posted suggestions can be checked for free. You might need to buy a valve cover gasket set when checking valve lash.
Try going through each one in a process of elimination. It is likely that you will find that one of them is where the problem is.
Be methodical and patient, you can find the problem and get it fixed, likely with little cost.

By the way, can you call the servicer and see exactly what services they performed? Might be helpful information for you.
I'll check once im at were I keep the mower, I also read somewere on this forum that it could be a bad ground so Im also going to check that

· Registered
778 Posts
I have an old wheel horse with an 18 hp briggs on it, gas tank under the seat and with a fuel pump, that will let gas seep into the oil if you dont cut off the gas when you park. I always just cut off the gas when I get done with it and allow it to run out to cut it off.

I had to drain the "hot oil" out several times before I came up with this fix.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
p
I have an old wheel horse with an 18 hp briggs on it, gas tank under the seat and with a fuel pump, that will let gas seep into the oil if you dont cut off the gas when you park. I always just cut off the gas when I get done with it and allow it to run out to cut it off.

I had to drain the "hot oil" out several times before I came up with this fix.
ok thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.