My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you fellas (and lady fellas) out there that ride on zero turn mowers, I’m going to give you some food for thought. Smooth tires go with zero turn mowers like MC Hammer goes with debt. And unlike those Hammer pants you keep in the back of your closet, you'll be glad you bought smooth tires for your mower. Smooth tires allow your mower to take sharper turns because there is less friction between the grass and your mower due to the lack of a tread design. Not only can you take sharper turns in the mower; these tires will last you season after season because they don't have a tread design to wear down. Also, no tread pattern means your lawn will always be looking its best because it’s not going to leave any marks as you're riding along. Putting straight ribs on the front of your mower instead of smooth’s can leave marks on your lawn as you pivot your mower.

So remember kids, keep it smooth!
:thThumbsU

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,876 Posts
So, on smooth tires, doesn't the rubber still wear off? How MANY more seasons would you get, theoretically... I've never thought about smooth tires, I guess my big question would be, when they are made smooth, does that make them THINNER (ie, they take the treads OFF), or do they just fill in the tread?

·
Super Moderator
31,815 Posts
So, on smooth tires, doesn't the rubber still wear off? How MANY more seasons would you get, theoretically... I've never thought about smooth tires, I guess my big question would be, when they are made smooth, does that make them THINNER (ie, they take the treads OFF), or do they just fill in the tread?
I dont know for a fact... but I would assume they put the about the same amount of rubber in the smooth mold, as the treaded one. My line of thinking then would put it at about half way between the bald point, and full tred on a treaded tire... Thats purly a WAG though.... It will not wear as fast, becouse a treaded tire has the edges that move, and wear a little quicker, then a wide flat surfice would.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a good question.

Yes the tires still wear down over time, but with a lawn mower application, they do not wear as quickly as say a passenger tire would

The tires are not thinner in anyway they are made of the same rubber content as a tire that has a tread design on it. The difference is the mold the tires go into. There are smooth tire molds and molds that have tread designs.

The reason these tires should last you a long time is because they are primarily used on grass so there is very little friction compared to driving on pavement. There is no way to accurately predict how many seasons it should last you because it depends on how you use them, how often you use them, and the conditions they are being used in.

To make a long story shorter, these tires should last you for years.

·
close enuff works for me
3,101 Posts
The local high school has zero turn mowers with turf tires. There are large lawn areas ,and a lot of asphalt parking lots.. the mower drivers like nice straight lines in the lawn,,,so they drive onto the asphalt,,spin a circle and drive straight back on to the lawn. The tires last ONE summer .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts