My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sears-o-holic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newer craftsman pressure washer, that has sheared two keys now. The pump turns free by when off the motor, the motor runs good, and they seem to go together nicely. It is still easy enough to start, so I assume that means nothing in the pump is bound up. I have never ran this without water ran through it. Works like normal when the key is replaced, but then continues to chew the key after a while. What is causing this? I fear chewing up too many keys is gonna tear up my crank or the pump input. Don't want that!!! Any idears greatly appreciated.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Saw this on a pressure washer at work. It sheared a key, then sheared another key...then it started acting funny while working, then the guy said it sheared that key, but it didnt...the pump shaft had broken in the pump.

My guess is the pump is binding under load..Hardened crank, hardened input shaft..the fuse is the metal key...it's a sign.

·
Sears-o-holic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i figure something isn't right in the pump cause the motor runs right and they seem to line up right. IDK. Might take the pump apart this time and see what I see.

·
Sears-o-holic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, 6.75 B&S with the "easy start" set up.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Question did you leave engine run but you not use trigger like hold for few mins?

That reason I don't do and I try keep hold trigger open to prevent hurt pump.

·
Sears-o-holic
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm just gonna have to tear into the pump to see what I can see.....Let you all know how it goes. May not be this weekend, but hopefully next week I can look at it :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts