My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...that the Sears 3-point hitch could be hazardous to your health?

I went to my neighbor's to borrow his York rake with the Hydro-Trac. Rather than hooking it to the hitch plate, I used the drawbar on the 3-point. As I was hooking it up, the hitch dropped from the lifted position to the lowered with the full weight of the rake on it, causing the handle to swing backwards at a high rate of speed - until it hit me right on the noggin, anyway.
I think I slowed it down significantly.

Do these things usually lock in in the raised position? I think it was the jostling I was doing, trying to get the tongue of the rake to line up with the hole in the drawbar so I could drop the hitch pin through that did it. I would guess that driving over rough ground could do the same thing, though.

My head hurts...

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be easy enough to do. Hard to hold onto the hitch handle and adjust the speed at the same time with them both being on the right side. Of course, I don't have a Hydro-Track-specific 3-point, with the handle on the left. They are probably a pretty rare item.

Nice lump on my head in the shape of the handle.

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
These hitches lock very well, provided they have weight on them. The weight keeps the lift links pulling against the lift handle, and the tension prevents the hitch from lowering (if that all makes sense).

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
they dont really "lock", at least the white ones dont, they just stay up. the black hitches with the long handle have a pin that locks them in the up position.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Depending on what attachment I use, sometimes I have to move the sidelinks to the lower or upper holes on the lift handle. I had one 3 point that used to drop a lot till I figured that out :) sucks taking cotter pins in and out though...

·
Registered
444 Posts
glad your ok!! I learned that the hard way as well.Not as hard as you, didn't hit my head , I was in the seat and on rough ground using the fel ,scared the crap out of me. Think it would have torn my arm off. I pin that thing now when using the 200lb counterweight on it

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Ooouch! Glad you have a hard head!

If you do not have the 3pt hitch with a pin lock, I suggest making a rope lanyard that's tied to the tractor's chassis. The looped end can be slid over the hitch handle as a safety measure to keep it from dropping while hooking up implements. :fing32:

Be safe out there! :trink39:

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
BTW how's you head? Hope it didn't do too much damage!

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea of some sort of a lock, be it a pin or a lanyard.

Seems like this would be a good place to fab in a hydraulic cylinder. If I don't need down pressure, I do have a 12V power pack and valve that works with a single-acting cylinder available. Either that, or an old Fisher plow pump.

Hmmm.... These did have an electric actuator as an option or at least the newer ones did, correct? Not a fan of those in general but a hydraulic cylinder would probably be pretty simple to substitute.

Still have a sore spot and a bit of a lump left on top of my head. Not too bad.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
The newer style 76 and up 3 point hitches have a "transport lock" which is simply a pin that goes thru the lift handle and the 3 point hitch plate- you could add one by welding a couple pieces of flat stock on... I will try to get a picture of mine-

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
they made a stop for the older hitches, i think it still fit the newer one that stopped it from lowering to far, but i bet it woulda got u before it stopped...hehe and that has happened to me too! Thats why I use my electric hitches now! NO MORE STUPID HANDLE!!!!!

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
I used to use a bungee chord wrapped around the tractor and hooked onto the seat spring, and under the tractor and up to the handle. Could something like this be made?

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed that the handle hits the right tire when it is all the way down, too. Is this normal? I was thinking there should be some sort of a stop.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
yes, when there is no attachment in the 3pt, and you let it fall all the way down, the handle rubs the tire. there is no stop because when there is an attachment in it, the attachment prevents the 3pt from falling that far

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
yes, when there is no attachment in the 3pt, and you let it fall all the way down, the handle rubs the tire. there is no stop because when there is an attachment in it, the attachment prevents the 3pt from falling that far
Even when plowing with a moldboard or rear grader that will still happen-

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably not so cool if you're running chains.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
I am sure some where on there, there is a sticker that says keep away from children. See you learn from the school of hard nooks.:sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nah, this was made back when people were expected to take responsibility for their actions and use some basic common sense. No stickers needed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts