My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Still plays with tractors
2,247 Posts
Boom float on the Massey is very nice as well. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think anyone else offers that. I almost wish I had waited for the redesign though. The joy stick was moved back on the fender (not a big deal but nice) and the big thing is the quick attach coming standard which is really nice if you want to use forks of whatever on your loader arms. Wish I had that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Boom float on the Massey is very nice as well. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think anyone else offers that. I almost wish I had waited for the redesign though. The joy stick was moved back on the fender (not a big deal but nice) and the big thing is the quick attach coming standard which is really nice if you want to use forks of whatever on your loader arms. Wish I had that.
On my 2018, I opted to not add quick disco since it does decrease lift capacity some and it was a few hundred dollars more. There are some cool attachments that clamp on to the bucket these days too. The redesign is really nice, but I'm pretty sure that has something to do with why I was able to get such a good deal on a 2018 model. I really like the one piece floor mat that covers the total deck on the newer models.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,057 Posts
My father in law was the ace mechanic at a Massey dealership. He said the Massey was more solid than the other tractors on the market at the time, specifically John Dere with weak front axle and aluminum rear end housing. I did miss some creature features and comforts that many other SCUTs of the same era, circa 2007, had... Tach, glow plug indicator light, etc. I only had one issue, though - leaky front axle seal, like one that I had replaced on a Kubota before so it was no big deal. Helped that I could get a very deep discount on Massey parts and occasionally harass my FIL at work. Kubota and JD dealers were just as close.
Much came down to price (used without a loader doesn't command a very high premium), including powerflow bagger, and timing. I had $5k burning a hole in my pocket. Lastly, nobody in my 'hood had a MF, so it was a nice change of pace.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I narrowed it down to Deere, Kubota, New Holland, or Massey, early on. Looked at Deere first, partly because I had a friend who sold them. I didn't like the cheap feeling 3 piece plastic hood or those "sure to break soon" plastic hood clips. Plus there were a couple newish tractors already in the shop for driveline problems, that Deere knew about and sold anyways! Counted them out. Next was Massey, really liked them and the dealer, price was better than the Deere, too. Looked at Kubota, closest dealer to me, but I really didn't like the foot pedal arrangement, and their price was higher than Deere. Never even made it to New Holland, local dealer has a not so good rep. Went back to Massey and haven't looked back. Dealer is great too. I had an electrical problem, (temp gauge quit) dealer went to bat for me with Massey and got an entire new harness and installed it under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went with a GC1720. I have a lot of trenches to build for water management, landscaping and wood removal/restack. I wanted something small enough to work around the house and still capable of skidding trees. I did a lot of research. Every machine I looked at had a major flaw for me. The MF had everything I needed, good price point, great dealer. I liked the pedal layout. So price for features made it my choice and 8 months later, it is still doing every job I need it to do and saving me a lot of time. whether moving 10 tons of pebbles, or lifting trees so I can part them out.
My neighbor has a slightly larger Kubota and it is really nice too, but was out of my price range and no BH.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts