My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the LA135 and have about 7000 square feet of Bermuda.

I cannot get the bagger to work. I have taken it off and put it back on numerous times and even had my mechanic put it on and it still did not work.

I did a search on here and it seems like most guys baggers work.

The problem is that it never makes it to the 'bags'. It gets stuck in the tube and after a few minutes and backs up to where the grass just goes back on the grass.

I am using the original blades from when I bought it.

I am not big into bagging my clippings, but it is driving me nuts not to be able to get this to work.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Years ago I had a Snapper rider, it had ears or wings that bolted to the mower blade to make more air move. It had a rear bagger that it would fill up no problem.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,643 Posts
The two biggest and most common reasons that baggers don't work "right", is 1- too much grass being cut (letting it get too tall), and 2- ground speed too fast. The 3rd is probably a blade that doesn't have good lifting capability (creating a vacuum in the deck, which "blows" harder up the chute). 4th is not running the engine at full throttle. Any one of those things can keep the system from working, and any combination makes it worse. Oh, and there's #5, trying to bag wet grass. Sticky and heavy. The system must be set up to allow air out of the end of the system (at the bags), or an air stream can't get created for airflow from the deck to the bags.

When you say it gets stuck in the chute and doesn't make it to the bags, it could be any one of the above. You can look at higher lift blades for your mower, and can try the other improvements without spending a dime.

Go slow, run the engine WOT, don't try to cut too much off at a time, mow when it's dry.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
KHodges hit it on the head. If you try to force too much grass up the chute, it WILL plug. Slow down or raise your cut height. Moisture makes plugging worse as well. The grass needs to be dry if possible.

You're not lining the bagger bags with plastic garbage bags are you? That will reduce air flow and cause this too.

If you try all of these things and the bagger performance still isn't quite what you'd like, and you don't plan to mulch, you can install dedicated bagging blades. The bagging blades have more "lift" and as thus more airflow. The dealer has them, part number for an individual blade: M154062.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I cut every 4-5 days so I know that I am not cutting too much grass and always cut at night because I do not want to get my mower wet with dew.

I am going to try and slow down and see if that helps, but I will probably end up buying the blades that Engine Tech gave me the number to

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Moisture makes plugging worse as well...
No Bermuda grass in these parts but I hear that it is one of the worst for moisture so not surprised that it clogs. Cut height, or more precisely deck lip height controls how much air goes or doesn't go up the chute.

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
778 Posts
No Bermuda grass in these parts but I hear that it is one of the worst for moisture so not surprised that it clogs. Cut height, or more precisely deck lip height controls how much air goes or doesn't go up the chute.
You left out an important metric: Which makes more air go up the chute... higher or lower?

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
You left out an important metric: Which makes more air go up the chute... higher or lower?
You are so right, and if I had an LA135 with whatever blade to OP has, I might be able to answer that. My guess is that there will be a sweet spot. Too low and not enough air enters around the lip. Too high, and too much air escapes.

I don't bag with my rider but I do bag with the push mower. Not enough air flow and the clippings don't make it all the way to the back of the bag, clogging it up before it's full.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Your like me,,,to proud to bag...
It's not about pride. I will mulch mow twice as often to keep the clippings from being unsightly and to return the nutrient to the soil. If/when I have to, I will sweep instead and at that I usually set the sweeper brushes high enough so it disperses more than it picks up.

There was a time I would bag all 2 acres but I now bag only the walkway cuz the wife complains if she gets grass clippings on her shoes.

In certain conditions, a bagger can also erode the soil. Of course YMMV. Different soil conditions, turf varieties, moisture, mower characteristics, etc. conspire to make bagging worse for some than for others.

Bagging certainly does result in a better looking cut and if one replaces the lost nutrient, it is not all bad. Some people will bag just so that they'll have the clippings to add to the compost. If I wanted to bag all the time, I would get a powerflow or cyclone rake.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Just being funny again,,,think about it,,beg/bag,,,jeeze....

Anyways,on a serious note,I don't bag,,,I ain't even mowed my yard in about 10 weeks,and if I was to mow it,,half of it or more,wouldn't be able to even tell if I went over it,,[no, I don't live in the dessert],,its been the driest its ever been here this year in southern w.va.,,and hot,past 7-8 weeks,bet we ain't had 7 days below 90,and no more than maybe an inch or so of rain,,no lie...

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,936 Posts
I have Gator 3 in 1 high lift mulching blades on my 38" deck, I cut when things get to 4-5 inches, I cut down to 2.5", I mow in 1st gear at WOT (any faster on MY teeny lawn and I'd leave skid marks), and I wait at least two sunny days after a rain before I mow. I got two bags full tonight.... In my case, I REALLY think the important metric is how long I wait before I mow. 1 day, or a day and a half of overcast, and my chute plugs like everything.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts