My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We try to mow our grass high because it gets so dry an hot proubly around
3" . IN the manual it says on a level surface level the deck front to rear then back the nut off one turn . It don't give a mesurement like 1/8 or 1/4 my proublem is i'm not getting a clean cut in one pass . But the grass is tough
this time of year . Also is there a paticular blade I might look for other than
standard , I don't use a bagger .

·
Registered
140 Posts
OK! I've been a Wheel Horse fan for 40 years and cut my yard with nothing but W/Hs. In my experiances, the higher you set the deck, the worse it cuts. You don't get as good of lift from the blade to lift the grass and cut it more level. The lower you set the deck to the ground, the better lift you get from the air foil on the back edge of the blade. I've never tried the after market blades I've seen advertised, like Gator Blades. Someone else will need to advise you on their performance. I had let the back yard go to seed and just cut it 2 days ago. It was tough and did not do the great job it normally does, but it was a foot tall in some places. I think you have the best grass cutting mower made. Mine is a 1989 520H with a 48" deck and I wouldn't trade it for two of any other tractors. I've got 8 Horses sitting here. I'm definitely hooked on Wheel Horse!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I cut my grass all the time at 4" never lower keep sharp blades and run the engine all the way open slow moving blades dont cut any thing good

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep i'm a Wheel Horse attic myself 2 520 H's one is a 89 an one a 94 an a 310-8 . I just picked the 94 up last week its the one i.m adjusting the deck on . I don.t know how the guy cut anything it was bad out of level . An thats right all decks pull a vacum an do a better job set lower i'm just trying to find that happy medium . An thought maybe someone knew some little trick that helps . I sharpened the blades tonight an as I was
installing them wondered if it makes any difference if you line the blades up or not ?
Thanks for your input
George

·
16,815 Posts
Yep i'm a Wheel Horse attic myself 2 520 H's one is a 89 an one a 94 an a 310-8 . I just picked the 94 up last week its the one i.m adjusting the deck on . I don.t know how the guy cut anything it was bad out of level . An thats right all decks pull a vacum an do a better job set lower i'm just trying to find that happy medium . An thought maybe someone knew some little trick that helps . I sharpened the blades tonight an as I was
installing them wondered if it makes any difference if you line the blades up or not ?
Thanks for your input
George

Ah!! SO you did get that machine mentioned a few weeks ago on here...(??)Right--or is my memory fading also??

glenn

·
Registered
145 Posts
... I sharpened the blades tonight an as I was
Thanks for your input
George
I've found on my 48" deck that the blades don't hold their orientation after spinning them by hand a few rotations. So I don't think "indexing" the blades will do any good for you... eventually they'll change.

-BK

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes b.k. scouter you are correct the blades change orintation constanly when you take off blades to sharpen you can use this feature toput apiece of wood in between the blade tips while you crack the nut tension on the spindle i own a 520 h and iam going to make afoot pedal for the hydro drive:fing20:

·
Registered
145 Posts
We try to mow our grass high because it gets so dry an hot proubly around
3" . IN the manual it says on a level surface level the deck front to rear then back the nut off one turn . It don't give a mesurement like 1/8 or 1/4 my proublem is i'm not getting a clean cut in one pass . But the grass is tough
this time of year . Also is there a paticular blade I might look for other than
standard , I don't use a bagger .
I'm not sure if all of your questions were answered in your original post.
I believe the intent is for the end of the middle blade (as it points to the front of the tractor) to be 1/8" to 1/4" lower than either of the other blade's end (as they point to the rear of the tractor. Make sure you have the proper air pressure in the tires as stated in the manual before taking blade measurements and making adjustments. My manual for my 314-8 shows to make these adjustments while the deck gauge wheels are set in the middle height setting. I'm not sure if that would apply to your 520 or not, they should be the same deck.
I use Gator blades on mine and love 'em. There's a ton of talk about them in MTF, both for them and against them. You'd have to decide for yourself I guess.
-BK

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep Glen I got it , had to put a voltage regulator an a battery on it . Seems to be a
tight machine not much ware at all he sure was liberal with the grease . Just trying
too make a fue adjustments an service it . I really like it no buyers remorse here . Thanks
for the info Scouter we,ve just got some rain so maybe with the blades being sharper an the adjustments i've made i'll get a smother cut next time out .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found my proublem today had a blade slightly bent an bk I set it about 1/8th down instead of the 1/4 or 3/8 i had it on . Mowed about 4 hrs with it today an it did fine
on smooth ground .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts