My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is havin some bad luck. About a month ago he was push mowin one of his yards, when he got hit in the leg with something. He just figured it was a stone. no bleedin, but he said, it all most took him to his knees with pain.
fast forward to this past weekend, he was ridin a bicycle on the tow-path. The spot where he got hit in the leg, started to fester-up. He went to the doctor and had an x-ray done. Don't know how, but what hit him in the leg was a 2" finish nail! It embeded all the way in and hit his leg bone.
Now the doc said he's very lucky it just missed a main artery. the doc is afraid to remove it because of its location and a prior heart condition.
Lost his job of 18yrs and insurance, 6 months ago.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I am sorry about your friend. I think I would see another doctor and get a second opinion.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I know that it is not the most likable thing to do, and our egos get in the way quite badly, but has he considered checking into medicaid temporarily, at least until he finds another job with some benefits?

This could turn very serious without the proper course of action. I am as stubborn as the day is long, and I wouldn't want to go to doctors all over either, but it needs taken care of properly.

Get the second opinion and get it done.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
It better come out before he gets a visit from Gang Green! I had to have a corn kernel sized piece of steel from a splitting wedge taken out from between my lower leg bones. Doc said it was a "real priority" to "do it NOW"... I have it around her someplace in a glass tube for a "been there, done that" memento.:)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would get a second opinion now because that nail will not stay where it is right now. If it is that close to an artery it could move and sever the artery. I have a friend that was in a car wreck three or four years ago and he still has pieces of glass work through his skin. That nail is not going to stay in the same place, especially is he is very active.

·
Registered
267 Posts
tell him to go to another doc. just like my Biology teacher at school says

"some doctors are complete morons and will do stuff that isnt necessary to get more money or for some odd reason, while some know what they are doing and will help you the most."

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas, he went too another doc yesterday. The nail has bin removed but of coarse they are going to keep him till monday.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
The nail has bin removed but of coarse they are going to keep him till monday.
If you've ever had blood poisoning you'd be happy to stay in to make sure it's NOT happening to you! There ARE some reasons to get medical care now and then, it's not all duct tape and crazy glue.:D

I knew a guy that was pounding on a wedge and a steel sliver shot right into his penis.
The Lord works in mysterious ways.:)

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Happy to hear that all is well now. He made a wise decision.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Stranger things have happend but this one is on the top to the list. It is almost like someone shot it at him.

Glad your friend is doing well

I once had a flat tire on the freeway. It was in an older part of town with crap all over the sides of the road. I changed the tire and started to get back in traffic. I heard a bang and looked back to see nothing. I got off the freeway and discoverd my back tire was flat. I had no spare tire bucause it was in use. I took the tire off and went to get it fixed just to find out that the front tire had driven over a car side molding driving it right through the back tire. It was inside the tire 10 inches. and bent over on the outside. What are the odds that a bicycle could drive a nail through and into a leg.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
One time I was mowing with a small push mower. I had shoes on and was wearing a pair of jeans. The mower picked up a piece of thin copper wire like the stuff used inside radios. It went through my jeans, and entered my calf. The wire went entirely through and stuck out the other side. It felt like a bee sting at first, and felt a lot worse later. I went to the hospital to have it removed. Got a shot in my secret place and it remained sore for some time.

The wire was no thicker then a hair! Would not have gone to the hospital but I now what a copper wire will do to a tree.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts