My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Marlin model 60 (.22LR, semi-auto) when I was 13 a few years ago just to use as a plinking rifle. I shot it a bunch after I got it, then we moved into town so it didn't get used much. For the past year and a half it sat behind a toolbox at the ranch I work at for a varmint gun. Now that I live outside of town I got it out a couple weeks ago and brushed off the cobwebs. It was about a foot off when I first shot it, I zeroed the iron sights a little closer but they still weren't perfect.

I had an old Glenfield 4x32 scope laying around and decided they would make a nice pair. With some 6.00 mounts from walmart they were together. Once I got it zeroed I couldn't believe the accuracy at 50 yards. It shot a 2" group! I could shatter 3" clay target shards with no problem. I can't believe this 100.00 rifle with a cheap scope is capable of that.

Most around here condemn the Marlin autos and call them jam-a-matics. I have had minimal jamming problems since new.. It started giving me trouble after 3000 rounds without a cleaning. I didn't even strip it down just flushed with WD40 and blew it out. It's been fine since, the only problem I've had is when unloading an unshot round, sometimes they don't catch. But how often do I do that?

I did a little reading on them and I've heard they shoot better than a Ruger 10/22 out of the box, and the Ruger costs more than twice the Marlin just for the rifle, and needs another couple hundred to shoot straight.

The only complaints I have on this rifle is the junk iron sights from the factory, and the somewhat mushy trigger (even though there is a mod to fix that.)

Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I've had a model 60 since the late 80's. And it's had 1000's and 1000's of rounds fired through it. I can't recall it jamming more then a few times.

Here in my fine state, the earlier Model 60's are considered "Assault Weapons" and are illegal !! :Stop: Beacuse of the round capacity.

Mine falls into that classification. That's why it's kept at a friends house in PA.

I can send it back to have the tube modified to hold less rounds. But I like "Breaking The Law" :lalala:

Just kidding, not a law breaker, I just leave it out of state where it is legal. :fing32:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
The only complaints I have on this rifle is the junk iron sights from the factory, and the somewhat mushy trigger (even though there is a mod to fix that.)

Anyone else have a similar experience?
I've known several folks with the older Marlin semi-automatics and have two in our collection. They are reliable and, in most cases, quite accurate.

The problem of unfired rounds not extracting can often be corrected by running a cleaning rod down the barrel with a .22 calibre cleaning brush attached. Rotating this brush a number of times, with a good grade of powder solvent being added, will often remove the buildup at the front of the chamber and in the throat of the barrel. This will improve extraction in most cases.

Be sure to clean any residue from the barrel and action.

You have a good rifle there, hang on to it.

Mike

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
I've put just about 500 rounds thru mine and I find it a fine little plinker.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've known several folks with the older Marlin semi-automatics and have two in our collection. They are reliable and, in most cases, quite accurate.

The problem of unfired rounds not extracting can often be corrected by running a cleaning rod down the barrel with a .22 calibre cleaning brush attached. Rotating this brush a number of times, with a good grade of powder solvent being added, will often remove the buildup at the front of the chamber and in the throat of the barrel. This will improve extraction in most cases.

Be sure to clean any residue from the barrel and action.

You have a good rifle there, hang on to it.

Mike
I guessed that running a brush down the bore would help the problem. I need to get a cleaning kit for the rest of my guns too.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently thought about refinishing the Marlin to a different color. I picked up some Minwax Ebony stain from walmart and tried it on a pine 1x6 and it's a really nice dark shade but the grain is still visible. Really thinking of stripping whats on the gun and redoing it with this stuff. I think it would look pretty slick, especially if I can get my dad to checker the stock for me. It would be even cooler if my gun was stainless but it's blued..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts