My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
First, you're comparing apples to oranges. Sears is a retail outfit, MTD is a manufacturer.The primary manufacturers of entry level L&G equipment are Briggs & Straton, MTD, Husqvarna, & John Deere.

Who builds the most? I think it's probably MTD, but I'm not sure.

Who sells the most? It might be Sears especially if you count Sears/K-Mart together, but I would think that Walmart and Home Depot might be up there too, again, I'm not sure.

steve

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I place my bet on MTD as they manufacture all kinds of brand names that they've bought out over the years. slkpk

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,083 Posts
A few years back, when I was working at Sears, they were outselling everyone else when it came to mowers. One reason was because they had so many models and price points to choose from. Also, they were generally good quality. Yes, there were returns, but for the number sold, the returns were minimal. I believe that today they are still selling more mowers overall.

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
A few years back, when I was working at Sears, they were outselling everyone else when it came to mowers. One reason was because they had so many models and price points to choose from. Also, they were generally good quality. Yes, there were returns, but for the number sold, the returns were minimal. I believe that today they are still selling more mowers overall.
So then it would Have Been AYP a few Years Back on the sears statement or Today Husqvrana outdoor Power which is the AYP parent But Today MTD Make a Large Portion of Sears Machines Besides HOP So really shamrockjack You have to take Sears out of the statement and You have your answer :thThumbsU

·
Deceased March 2015
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still think Sear's is largest retailer seller of mowers in the U.S.A. MTD may be largest MFG most or alot of what they do is whole sale interesting to find out what the real figures are.

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
I still think Sear's is largest retailer seller of mowers in the U.S.A. MTD may be largest MFG most or alot of what they do is whole sale interesting to find out what the real figures are.
Well Your question is flawed then You can't compare the two. You could compare Sears to Tractor Supply, Home Depot & Lowes ect a Retailer But Based on how You asked Your question comparing a retailer to a Manufacture and Based on that comparison MTD would be Number 1 Because of all the Brands they Manufacture Now if you had asked Between the Craftsman Name Brand & MTD it would still be MTD:thThumbsU

BTW a little side Note MTD is the Largest outdoor Power equipment Manufacturer worldwide(meaning Garden tractor & Below) and HOP is Number 2 Barely There almost tied Because of all the Brand Names they both Manufacture under Then comes Toro Finally Ariens & Deere, Briggs Outdoor power which is starting to really Increase it world wide Outdoor Power equipment sales Because of Brands It has Bought:thThumbsU

·
Deceased March 2015
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mtd sells tractors in there own name but I don't think they sell as many as sears sell no mater who makes them . Happy Days

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I wonder who sells more mowers, the Sear's store or the Craftsman lawn and garden department? Never argue with a fool, the bystanders can't tell the difference. (author unknown to me):hug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts