My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, was messing around with ambient lighting last night and snapped a few pics. I used to do stage production lighting and got bored.

My little 224 looks pretty beefy from the rear angle. Those rear wheels don't look that small to me.

Just wanted to share, a little "Case art" enjoy...

He she is in her little shed.

[/IMG]

· Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now, go to the photography forum and show the rest of us how to make our ride look beefy.
There's a photography forum on here? Did not know that...

The "trick" here is using concealed side lighting shining from below the fenders. Call it the "midline" or the "equator" of the tractor.

Both sides are lighted from below and the photo is snapped without a flash (on tripod) from below the tractor's midline as well.

These two effects cause the object to appear larger in stature to the viewer, and focuses all the attention to the tractor, with the less lit background framing it nicely.

· Registered
670 Posts
There's a photography forum on here? Did not know that...
There's a forum for pretty much everything on here. :thThumbsU

Your tractor looks sweet in those shots. I've been looking for a mechanically sound 200 series for awhile now to use as a dedicated mower.

I also have that same air compressor. :trink40:

· Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thaks Snot, I took the other two pics down cause I liked this one the best.

You can see through my rear discharge deck from this angle as well.

To me it doesn't even look that different from a high wheeler from this angle.

I plan to out fit mine for everything first, then when I find the right highwheeler, switch back to just mowing with this one.

Tiller and snowcaster shipped today. Might be here tommorow.....:praying:

· HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,358 Posts
I've always thought, proportionally, that 200's were more attractive than 400's. Good looking tractor, Drew.

· Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the roll call from when I cleaned out the shed the other day.

1: 1996 murray 16 twin I/C briggs 46" cut. Hood removed cause it looked like a bug it has the "rounded" look to it. Now it looks more like a tractor.
2: My beloved 224-81
3: Old Ariens "jet" front tined tiller with Honda 5 hp repower.
4: Yardman self propelled mower (best running mower I have ever had, first pull everytime year after year.)
5: Honda mulching mower, 1 season old and I saw the old guy wheeling it out fro the garbage, rebuilt the drive gears and have used it for 6 years no prob, FREE

1,358 Posts
For light tractors, I've always had respect for Murray. Easy as pie to work on and very comfortable. If the grille is still in good shape don't throw it away. They are almost impossible to find unbroken and sell for decent money.

It's always irked me that Case doesn't have greasable mandrels yet Murray does.

1,358 Posts
Apparently, the latest decks from Ingersoll do have spindle bearings that will receive grease from a Zerk fitting.

I know........ shocking, isn't it?
It's only been 41 years since the 200/400's were introduced. Perhaps the memos were "shuffled off to Buffalo" during the Ingersoll buyout, lost during the bankruptcy, and recently discovered in a sunken vault by Eastman with television coverage by Geraldo Rivera.

· Registered
628 Posts
Just wanted to share, a little "Case art" enjoy...

He she is in her little shed.
Wait a minute........:lalala: lalalalalalalala I don't want to know anymore!

Just kiddin! I know it was a mis-type. Your pics look very good. :fing32:

· Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For light tractors, I've always had respect for Murray. Easy as pie to work on and very comfortable. If the grille is still in good shape don't throw it away. They are almost impossible to find unbroken and sell for decent money.

It's always irked me that Case doesn't have greasable mandrels yet Murray does.
I was meaning to post these in the Murray forum too, but here is a good look.

I have nothing but good things to say about the old Murray. I have had a few duds, but this one has been a hard worker and dependable going on 15 years old.

She was free from my Dad who thinks mowers only last 5 years at best. He's rough on equipment. He never figured on me taking care of it as well as I have.

Bought my case so I could eventually retire the Murray, but that may not be for a while.

Really impressed with the I/C 16 twin.

I know I could have done a better job scrubbing the deck, but it was getting
dark and I was kinda slacking.

outside in the leaves. Getting to be that time again...

Parked safe and sound in the garden shed....

I think it looks much more like a tractor with the hood off. I may wire up some headights on the muffler guard. Topless. I dig it.

[/IMG]

· Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Castoff, I suppose you are talking about the missing blade guard? Ah, who needs toes anyway? I figure once I chop them all off I will be able to raid my wife's sock drawer since my foot will be smaller.
I feel like disabling safety features only makes me a more conscientious operator in the long run.

· Registered
628 Posts
Hey... whatever spins your crank or chops YOUR feet off is OK by me. :fing32:
:biglaugh: Hahaha! It took me a second but when I got it, I bursted out laughing.

Not laughing at you Kungdrew, but just the way Castoff said it. :fing32: The Murray looks like it has a lot of life left in her to me. :fing32:

· Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:biglaugh: Hahaha! It took me a second but when I got it, I bursted out laughing.

Not laughing at you Kungdrew, but just the way Castoff said it. :fing32: The Murray looks like it has a lot of life left in her to me. :fing32:
Yeah, Castoff has some zingers left in him.

He has a good point though, I don't want anyone thinking it's safe to remove gaurds, but if Murray would have put a nice sheet metal one on there instead of plastic, I might not have broke it so easily.

I gaurantee I would only make the mistake of letting it bite me once. I just keep my dog inside when I use that particular mower.

I never expected it to still be running. It had a tough life before I got ahold of it.

· Banned
1,634 Posts
Apparently, the latest decks from Ingersoll do have spindle bearings that will receive grease from a Zerk fitting.

I know........ shocking, isn't it?
FWIW: Disassembled a `94 R.H. deck last night, has factory zerks in the retrograde aluminum mandrels. Bearings are however, "sealed". Fewer parts and easier to R&R bearings than a L.H. mower.

· Banned
1,500 Posts
The RM decks don't really excite me all that much because the spindles are welded to the pulleys. I think that makes for an expensive part if either item happens to fail. The mandrels are the same design as was used on the older "letter decks" as are the bearings. I wish I could say that I felt the newer design was an improvement over the tried and true Colt design but I'm still undecided. The grease fitting you found on the side of the mandrel was not put there to lube the spindle bearings. That's there to fill the mandrel cavity with grease to keep moisture from causing rust on the spindle and spacer tube so that dismantling of the mandrels is easier the next time bearings are needed.

All of that aside, I am not talking about that fitting.... at least I don't believe that I am because I have not seen a PDF parts book for the very latest decks and knowing Ingersoll, we won't see one for some time anyway. But the word is that Ingersoll now has decks that use the phrase "greaseable mandrel bearings" in their description.

Whether this is a totally new design that uses a spindle that is center bored with a Zerk in the top of it, accessible through the belt cover without having to remove it, I cannot say. If Brian Hildreth reads my post, perhaps he's got some enlightenment for us on that issue. I have every reason to believe that this has been done but in true Eastman fashion of doing NOTHING to promote these tractors, there isn't so much as a mention of it on the "NEW" website they recently launched. :banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

· Registered
536 Posts
Yeah, Castoff has some zingers left in him.

He has a good point though, I don't want anyone thinking it's safe to remove gaurds, but if Murray would have put a nice sheet metal one on there instead of plastic, I might not have broke it so easily..
There IS suppose to be a metal plate under the plastic shroud. Once the pin is pulled, the spring, plastic and metal shield come off in seperate parts, sounds like yours has been lost sometime during it's life.

I have 2 of the Murray's 46" 16hp riders just like yours and personally I LIKE the hoods, makes them look bigger in the front than they really are but they are SO easy to break and were not designed to substain any impact for force on the hood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.