My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about making and selling CAT 0 hitches to my fellow MTF members.
obviously this would be for the folks who dont have the means to make their own. since im unemployed i have the time.
not trying to get rich or even make a whole bunch of money. basically enough to buy more materials(steel), cut off wheels, welding wire, argon, paint, lift arm pins...etc.
so how does $30 and buyer pays shipping sound ? shipping will be from zip 48146.
they will come in 3 colors.....black...black...and black.

interests.....opinions ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't see how you could possibly make and sell them for $30.00 even if you don't paint them. I have at least that much into the ends for the lift arms. That does not count the steel. What kind of mounting system and lift system do you envision? I'm not trying to bust your bubble, but I figure to have over $300.00 into steel and parts for mine. That does not count labor, gas, welding wire and hospital visits after each episode.
I guess what I'm trying to say is think through your venture and maybe build one keeping close track of time, running and material costs. I think that you'll be in for a big surprise when its all done.

·
Premium Member
9,600 Posts

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
Now if you can make this in the variation that has the sleeve hitch adapter on it, I may be interested. As best I can find from drawings is that it just adds a piece of tube and two bolts to it.

Similar to what is shown in the pictures attached.

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I still think that unless you have unlimited access to free steel, you aren't going to make a lot. 5/8" lift pins are $10 per pair.

The drawbar in your link is not really overpriced.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i could make that hitch. and considering i have about 300lbs. of nuts (insert joke here) in my stock pile those would be freebies. what size ?
what is the inside diameter of the tube ?

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still think that unless you have unlimited access to free steel, you aren't going to make a lot. 5/8" lift pins are $10 per pair.

The drawbar in your link is not really overpriced.
i wish i had access to free steel. ill be buying good scrap steel. im not trying to make a lot. think of this as a hobby.
and i found the lift pins for under $5.00 a pair.
but everybody needs to keep in mind that im doing this at home and not in a shop containing $250,000 in tools and machinery.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
OK, here's an idea of something I definitely need, so think it over and let me know what it would take.

The cat-0 to sleeve hitch adapter pictured above is of great use to the GT crowd, as sleeve hitch implements are half the cost of 3PH implements.

For plowing, though, we need an additional round tube to the right to offset our sleeve hitch plows correctly.

There was a guy on here making such a hitch with a center, and a left and a right offset tube (with 4 of the nuts and bolts).

The additional two holes above the lift pins are for additional lift pins. Once you plow the first pass, you need to be able to angle the plow back to straight as the tractor will be at an angle for the rest of the plow session.

That's a good drawing above - it gives you the dimensions you need.

Anyway, figure out what I posted above, and PM me a price. I'll give you a shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts