My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a snow chief today for 25 bucks, s.o.s
seller stated it ran last year......
clean the glue outta the carb& flush the tank........
some places say it was made by atlas for true value but thier site says mtd handles it,
all i want to get into is who made the power plant?
prob the happy injun right?

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
Best I could dig up is made my NOMA for True Value, like Lawn Chief.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i found it,
on a hunch i checked mtd's website & just punched in a partial serial number.
a quick check it looks like a briggs 2stroke engine, i'll havta crack it open tommorow, the stuff i found out says it's tecumseh powered but the engine cover had the briggs diamond on it...... bit of a puzzle
& take a pic or 2

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
May not be the original engine.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
possibly, i checked some more,&from mtd, it's stating they used tecumseh,
no biggie, it'll clean up&be ready to go

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Snow Chief was the house brand for True Value Hdwr. There were probably several makers over a period of time, but I know that Atlas made most of them. Atlas went brankrupt in the early 90s, MTD bought them and shuttered the doors. Any internet search for Atlas will lead back to MTD, but if you contact them about Atlas they act like you're from Mars.
steve

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
same ol slop........
too many ppl in the cookie jar..lol
well this chief aint going to the happy hunting grounds anytime soon
well luckily i got the #'s &its a briggs, it can be saved!
as far as any other parts.... if i cant find em' damnit i will make them
pics thru degreasing&exploring.
after winter the ol mill's getting new bearings,rings&piston
i may need a seance&contact a briggs engineer lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, i foundout some other intracacies too, the prev owner(s) didnt run the primer hose routes correctly&started use not enough lube, lucklily it is very light scratching so i can use it this winter then rebuild it, tech manual sez 50:1 but with 2 rings i would assume 32:1 just like my lawnboys

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the piston is nla, if i could have found the rings it could still putt along......
but since the block is solid, carb in good shape, body too, its going to be parted out, if anyone needs parts pm me &we'll work it out.....
btw, bolens used the same chassis&motor

·
Registered
169 Posts
:sorry1:It's your call but since there are a lot of small engine dealers that use this site with NLA parts on their shelves you might give us the model, type, and code numbers and see if we can help you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the same model snow chief as 2cycled fruitcake, except mine is manual start. unfortunately, i pushed it too hard in sloppy snow last winter, and i cracked the handle just above the mounting holes. does anyone know where to get a replacement handle?

btw, my snow chief has a 3hp briggs 2-cycle engine. the oil mix is 32:1.

it's nearly impossible to find parts for this beast. apparently the snow chief product line (made by noma) was bought by mtd. contacting mtd for parts is a dead end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2cycled fruitcake,

my snow chief looks exactly like yours. mine is missing most of the stickers, though, and i can't find the model number anywhere. what model number is yours?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts