My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Small Engine Tech
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, time for a Jeep thread. Here is our 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L with a 2" lift, 30.5in tires, 2m Ham radio, police/RR band scanner and recovery gear for pulling folks out of the ditch in the winter time. This is our primary towing vehicle to take the garden tractors to shows ect. I am trying to sell my diesel pickup at the present time. Lets see some other folks Jeeps! Cheers Mike and Michele T

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
05 Liberty. Selectrac, tracklock, full rock guards, and rock rails. Lots of fun and still comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
2000 Grand Cherokee here--will put a picture up after I wash it this weekend...she's kinda sad/dusty right now...:eck15:

·
Banned
2,369 Posts
97 Wrangler and 01 Cherokee (XJ NOT A Grand) (Computer idiot; I cant post pix--sorry) but both are 4.0s; Chero--- A/T Wrangler M/T (of course)
I dont like the Grands; too much plastic;an XJ has real bumpers! even though the Grands are twice the price--or were when new!

·
Registered
38 Posts
We've had eleven or so. Most of them were purchased outright new or leased for our businesses. It all began in 86 with a Commanche and will end with our O4 Liberty. We've had about every model Jeep made, except the crossover models of late.

I lost my faith in them with double replacement of the Ball joints of our Liberty, under 50K miles.

Though I've received good service from all our Jeeps with the exception of a 2000 GC and this Liberty. We feel the economy and Value is not there.

No I don't have a clue as to which vehicle we'll move to as we will keep the Liberty till 2014 then sell it..... Or give it to someone who needs transportation.

I do have to confess; I'm liking the Patriot. :thThumbsU

Fogey

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have owned a few over the years; the only one I have now is the wife's '05 Liberty. It is an OK around town and short distance vehicle.

First Jeep was a 1950 CJ3A, then an early (late 50--early 60) wagon, then a1944 MB. I was second owner of this one after military let it go; very original and a nice old Jeep. Couple of more MB's and 1942 Ford Jeep. Also 3 of the 151-A1's. A few over the years. Regret selling the '44 MB; my son and I loved to prowl the back trails in it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Since the kids got too big to fit in sports cars, the only thing we have bought is JEEPs. We live in snow country and have bought 6 in the last 19 years. No mechanical problems but thanks to my wife, all of them have been used to deplete the deer population.

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Had this one for 30 years. It's a 77 CJ-5. Replaced the body around 1988. Motor needs rebuild now. I use it mainly for plowing the yard. Some of you guys probably know that you could get the older ones (late 40's and 50's) with a 3 pt. hitch and rear pto with lots of implements. Rick

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Yup...

·
Collector of many tractors
15,231 Posts
So do you think we will still be able to buy a new one in a few years or is this the end ???

·
Registered
756 Posts
DYT4000, Interesting old ad, thanks for posting that. CJ2A likely about 1947

That is a nice Jeep you have too. Tire swap puzzled me til I saw you are in Florida; you would need that first set of tires for the trails in this part of the country. Have a good helping of mud to deal with.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Yeah, I'm mostly a sand rider...occasionally some mud...the A/Ts did better than I thought they would in the mud though.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Heck, even the greatest president in my lifetime was a Jeep lover...

·
Registered
301 Posts
’74 CJ-5, someone put in a V-6 from a commando. I’ve since converted it to HEI ignition. Reworked the transfer case with lower low range gears, and installed a Detroit locker in the rear end. I’ve also Installed a Warn 8,000 # winch.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
How bad is the rust Dave?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oh it's eat up with it. From what I understand I'm the 4th owner. It came from Hawaii. I just use it to putter around in the woods and make short runs to town. It's VERY basic tranportation, but it runs good and all the safety stuff(brakes and steering) are in good working order. I never drive it over 55 mph, town is only 8 miles away and I'm not in as much of a hurry as I was in my younger days.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts