My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mowed a whole 4 times this season, and do believe my lawn is toast due to lack of rain.

I have a fundamental problem with living near a coast and having to irrigate. It looks like if I am to have any sort of decent landscaping, a sysem of some sort is going to be necessary.

Does anyone irrigate a larger yard (1 acre plus)?

Do you use city water, domestic well, or a shallow well specifically for irrigation?

In times of drought, do you water only the front or visible areas and sacrifice the rear?

Anyone xeriscape? Not sure which dry climate plants would look right in Virginia.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I've mowed a whole 4 times this season, and do believe my lawn is toast due to lack of rain.

I have a fundamental problem with living near a coast and having to irrigate. It looks like if I am to have any sort of decent landscaping, a sysem of some sort is going to be necessary.

Does anyone irrigate a larger yard (1 acre plus)? Yes

Do you use city water, domestic well, or a shallow well specifically for irrigation? Rain water

In times of drought, do you water only the front or visible areas and sacrifice the rear? Nothing gets watered, cause its not raining.

Anyone xeriscape? Not sure which dry climate plants would look right in Virginia. xeriscape?? Definition please :praying: .

:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:hide::hide::hide::hide:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:hide::hide::hide::hide:
Wise guy! LOL.

Xeriscaping is the practice of landscaping with things which require either no or very little water. Cacti in Virginia just don't seem right.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a sprinkler system covering 2+ acres. Use well water. I sprinkle everything, front and back when it's dry.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I mow about 2+ acres. How many trees do you have in your yard? My front yard doesn't dry up because I have a few mature trees in it that shades it. My back yard burns right up because it only has a few young trees in it. They are green around those. I'm planting more . . .
When we first bought our cottage I watered using the well water. Then my Bud gave me his old well pump and i draw the water out of the lake to water. My yard likes that lake water more than the well water. Could it be the temperature of the water? Do you have a pond you could draw from to water? Just giving you some thoughts.:thThumbsU

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Z, I do live about 900 feet from the county reservoir, but I think they would frown on me running such a long hose.

I'm going to check with the county on permits for a well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an acre that I water with a sprinkler system I installed 10 years ago.
My water source is a pressurised secondary water system that our irrigation supplier installed city wide. They just put untreated river water in pipes and pressurise it.
Works quite well and we pay about $300.00 a year for water from mid April until mid October.
Has great pressure on an 1 1/2 inch main.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I water a little over one acre. I water everything. Our acreage development (SID) has it own well system. We pay $150 year for all our water. Great deal I know. I water 2 to 3 times a week if we are short on rain.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Boy Ken, if I could Brand you'd wear "undertaker" name for a little while.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts
Boy Ken, if I could Brand you'd wear "undertaker" name for a little while.
Grave yard???? I wondered what happened to banned members.
Not to take this Thread off topic, but I want to put Members minds at ease that they are not shipped down here.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts