My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought four trail cams a few weeks ago, and just got around to putting them up today. I'm not sure how well I placed them though, so they may or may not be very successful. I think I'm going to have to order four more though to get enough coverage of our property. I only saw one obvious deer/game trail, which I did hang a camera on it, but the rest are just kind of hodgepodge all over. I still need to bush hog through the wooded parts, which is where the cameras SHOULD be hung, but I didn't want to walk through there and have to pull all of the ticks off of me when I was done today. Also, it's incredibly windy today, and I've already heard several limbs or trees get blown down, and didn't want to be traipsing through there and have something come down on me. So, I'll work on the wooded part later.

In any event, I've seen a few trail cam pics on the scrounging firewood thread, but I figure there are probably quite a few of us on here that have game cams up, and I just thought that his might be a good place for everybody to post their pictures. Anything that anybody has found interesting or cool. Let's see them guys, post your pictures and videos! I just hung mine today, so I have nothing to share yet. But I will in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This should be interesting.

But for where you live, you don’t just need trail cams, you need a field guide too. 😂

View attachment 2552527
Wouldn't that be something? LOL. I'd really like to see a moose, or I'm afraid to say it, even a bear. There's no body of water on my property though, so that would be the one detractor from seeing more wildlife. If I do dig a pond in a few years, like I'm thinking about doing, the property would probably be more productive as far as producing more diverse wildlife pictures/sights.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,884 Posts
Wouldn't that be something? LOL. I'd really like to see a moose, or I'm afraid to say it, even a bear. There's no body of water on my property though, so that would be the one detractor from seeing more wildlife. If I do dig a pond in a few years, like I'm thinking about doing, the property would probably be more productive as far as producing more diverse wildlife pictures/sights.
If we are getting raccoons, possum, fox, coyote, deer, turkey, eagle, etc here in an urban environment, I will be shocked if you don’t get some big game there at your new place.

If your wife saw a bear not too far away, good chance you’ll see it passing through. Moose too. Coyote, wolf? And you never know, bobcat , lynx, and maybe even cougar/mountain lion are not out of the question either.

Btw, I saw that Sasquatch field guide at REI the other day. I thought it was supposed to be humorous but thumbing through discovered it is a serious guide!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow........Where do you live @77cruiser? I've only pulled my memory cards from my four cams once so far, and all I had were deer and rabbits so far. I'm pretty sure they didn't get placed as well as they should have been, because there were just SOOOOOOO many misquotes out when I put them up that I didn't want to take too much time placing them as strategically as I should have. I've now got four more, and sometime soon here will place all eight of them in better places, where game trails look apparent.

·
Professional Homeowner
8,585 Posts
I have no pictures, but we get coyotes, hawks, a few really loud owls at random hours of the night, bears have been documented less than 8 miles away (I swore I saw one in the wee hours of the morning about 1 mile away about 20 years ago but nobody else did. Now I think I might have been right), turkeys, deer, occasional bobcats, and lots of real annoying rodents like squirrels and chippers. The fox squirrels, gray squirrels, and black squirrels I don’t care about, but those darn red squirrels and chippers will be the reason I end up in the looney bin. I did see one albino squirrel about 3-4 ago… that one was weird. And a peacock. I think that was an escaped pet.

Had a Lewis’s woodpecker about a month ago… that attracted a lot of outlanders. He was about 1000 or 1500 miles from home. First time one has ever been seen in the lower peninsula.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
And where do you live @Equipment guy? That's pretty diverse. We've got a million turkey here too.
I live in north central MA, right on the NH boarde. I have had most everything imaginable in the yard at some point deer, bear, moose fox, coyote, bobcat fisher cat, raccoon, rabbit, hawks, have a nest in the corner of my yard overlooking the river. Had a bald Eagle perched a tree last year. Turkey, owls, pheasant, all the small critters… possibly even a mountain lion last year. I didn’t see it, but my son swears it was one. My area is pretty remote, with a lot of natural resources, and closest neighbor is about 3/4 of a mile away.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,884 Posts
I live in north central MA, right on the NH boarde. I have had most everything imaginable in the yard at some point deer, bear, moose fox, coyote, bobcat fisher cat, raccoon, rabbit, hawks, have a nest in the corner of my yard overlooking the river. Had a bald Eagle perched a tree last year. Turkey, owls, pheasant, all the small critters… possibly even a mountain lion last year. I didn’t see it, but my son swears it was one. My area is pretty remote, with a lot of natural resources, and closest neighbor is about 3/4 of a mile away.
Wow what a spot you have! I believe your son’s mountain lion sighting. Even if they are not established in your region, young males will range far beyond normal in search of new territory. And their range expands every year into areas with healthy deer population.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we have had four trail cams up for a week or ten days. Today, I just put up four more. I'm still not convinced that they're placed strategically though. I'll let them all sit until mid-week, and then go pull all of the cards and see what we've got. If anything, more than deer, rabbits and turkey. I don't know if I'd "like" to see them on our property or not, but I'm definitely interested to see if we have any bear or cougar. That would be a sight!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
6,998 Posts
I think I shared these in another Game Camera Thread, but, I always like this collection of the video I collected in a couple weeks at a vernal pond in the woods behind my house. These were all taken in an April placement:

Fox having a drink:

A doe pretty much standing at the exact same spot getting a drink too:

A turkey strutting by:

A coyote wandering by. I don't see many of them, so I don't think they are living in the woods, but on a walk-about:

A couple wood ducks perhaps checking out a nesting site, they didn't stay:

And an opossum stopping by for a drink:

There were raccoons every night, but I didn't bother keeping those video

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are definitely blessed Jere! I'm guessing I have the same wildlife but haven't physically seen the coyotes or fox yet. I've seen them "around", just not first-hand on my property. I'm pretty sure they're there though. I still need to go pull my memory cards. They've been in the cameras for about 2 weeks now, and I'm guessing that they're full.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
6,998 Posts
Foxes are great and colorful subjects. Here are two video of a mother and her 5 kits during some of their early first ventures out of repurposed groundhog dens:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts