My Tractor Forum banner

White GT-1650 Yard Boss - Mower Deck Selection

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Lance Skene 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am quite interested in purchasing the following, quite clean looking, White GT-1650 Yard Boss. It doesn't come with the mower deck though. I've been trying to search locally, but not sure I'm searching for the right options. Are there alternate mower decks that I could install on this lawn tractor?
I have seen that I can install a 42 to 50" mower deck that is shaft-driven.

The price that you see if Canadian, so remove 1.7 of the value to match it to USD.

Thanks for your help.

Boomer

See less See more
#5 ·
Ya, I'm having a difficult time with my property trying to find the right one because of incline from top to bottom. Not that I have many hills to mow per say, but I have lots to travel to get around.
Not in the picture are the two soccer field sized lawns in the front and below the barn.
Plus, I've been given a budget of about $1,400 - eek

#6 ·
I buy/sell used lawn/garden equipment for a living and for a mower... I always recommend something with a pressurized oil system... the older single cyl Kohlers and Briggs engines are splash bath and usually have alot of hours on them already... they're fine for snow work and garden duties but mowing adds alot of hours fast.... and those Kohler k341s, now that they're 30+ yrs old, have a nasty habit of throwing the connecting rod so I wouldnt count on one for mowing a large yard for very long.... If your not mowing alot of hills then some cheap junker MTD, Craftsman or similar with a hydro trans can be found cheap and will probably last a few years.. modern small hydros are not as tough as the Peerless in that White but driving up an occasional hill wont kill them.... although alot of hills will. Ideally around your yard I would want a manual trans... but Im bias towards them anyway... hydros are great for loaders and nice to mow with but real work requires a real tractor... and real tractors have a clutch n' gearbox...Lol... IMO

In the early 90s Briggs n Stratton Vanguard V-Twins where fairly common in riding lawn tractors and they are generally one of the more reliable engines from that era... tractors with those engines can often be found for $500-$800 in ready-to-run condition and parts are still available in most cases. Kohler KT Series II engines are also good but stay away from the KT Series I

When you look at tractors from the 70s and early 80s you find tougher tractors BUT parts can become an issue and you often end up having to settle for used parts sourced privately online... it is worth doing in the end for a general purpose tractor because those tractors are in fact alot tougher machines... but going that route for a lawn mower can be more trouble than its worth...IMO of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.