My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my area of Ontario we have quite a problem with "white lawn grubs" https://www.google.ca/search?q=white+lawn+grubs&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=HbdthmiGitqTbM%3A%2CIZusk0R2VO6ckM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSB-jpTb0u2e6AmlzrfG-pcOUd4Yw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi4zIu404fiAhVsm-AKHVkjAzAQ9QEwDXoECAkQBA#imgrc=HbdthmiGitqTbM:

In the past, I've had great success with "Merit" but this and many other chemicals of this type were banned several years ago by the Ontario government (lucky I stocked up). It seems now that the "Lawn Professionals" use "nematodes" which applied twice a year every year as recommended is quite expensive and not near as effective as Merit was. Any thoughts of what I can use? I'm in zone 5-6. Thanks: Dave: :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yeah we can thank the EPA down here for taking things off the mkt. that really worked. At a certain time each year I start seeing Chinch Bug spots in our yard and this gets rid of them: Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer For Lawns Granules kills 100+ types of lawn-damaging as listed.
I purchase a couple of 40# bags at Lowes and broadcast it by hand just before a rain shower. You can also use a sprinkler, it just needs to get worked into the soil with water. Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we can thank the EPA down here for taking things off the mkt. that really worked. At a certain time each year I start seeing Chinch Bug spots in our yard and this gets rid of them: Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer For Lawns Granules kills 100+ types of lawn-damaging as listed.
I purchase a couple of 40# bags at Lowes and broadcast it by hand just before a rain shower. You can also use a sprinkler, it just needs to get worked into the soil with water. Good luck.
Thank you for suggesting Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer For Lawns Granules.
I checked @ Lowes & Home Depot and this product is not available in Canada which means it must work great. I have underground irrigation and my own well, so water is not a problem. If I was still 21 and bullet proof, I'd go across the border (1 hour drive) and pick up a bunch but I'm too good looking to go to jail. :tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thank you for suggesting Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer For Lawns Granules.
I checked @ Lowes & Home Depot and this product is not available in Canada which means it must work great. I have underground irrigation and my own well, so water is not a problem. If I was still 21 and bullet proof, I'd go across the border (1 hour drive) and pick up a bunch but I'm too good looking to go to jail. :tango_face_surprise
Bummer. Oh yeah I remember those days; back in the '70's when Coors was not sold east of the Miss. river I drove several hours in my '73 Pontiac LeMans Sport Coupe to cross the river in Arkansas and loaded cases in every nook and cranny. My buddies would go in shock and awe when I pulled out a can or 2 from my cooler at byob parties, it also impressed the "good" girls. :tango_face_grin:
Thankfully my dare devil days are gone, kinda sorta.:tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer. Oh yeah I remember those days; back in the '70's when Coors was not sold east of the Miss. river I drove several hours in my '73 Pontiac LeMans Sport Coupe to cross the river in Arkansas and loaded cases in every nook and cranny. My buddies would go in shock and awe when I pulled out a can or 2 from my cooler at byob parties, it also impressed the "good" girls. :tango_face_grin:
Thankfully my dare devil days are gone, kinda sorta.:tango_face_devil:
Well in my case it would be called smuggling and in your case it was called a "Beer Run".:sidelaugh

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
I had some grubs kill a large area of my back lawn a few years ago..
Then some skunks showed up,and just about every night for a month or two they were out there digging..soon the area looked like I had used one of those spiked things on a roller,and green grass shoots started coming up..by September the lawn was lush & green again..and the skunks haven't been back ...yet..

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
If you are going to treat for grubs, inspection is in order to insure treatment is needed. Peel back one square foot of sod and count the #'s. Less than 5 don't worry about it.

Treatment timing is very important, the grub must be treated when it is in the 1st or 2nd instar larval stage. Any other time will be worthless. Also the type of grub must be identified to make the proper timing.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ent10

1 - 7 of 7 Posts