My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Haven't posted in a while, but got a problem I could use the brain trust to weigh in on. Up to about 310 hours on my GC1720. Didn't get much use with the blower over the winter, but have mowed a few time already. Noticed a whining noise from the engine. See the video below. I am in neutral, loader and backhoe are off, the MMM is on, but all PTOs are off, so its just engine noise you hear. It didnt sound like this at first, started sometime when moving, but with hearing protection on, I dont know exactly when. So there may be a heat component, meaning it happens when warm. But take a listen and let me know what you think.

whining noise from engine

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t recognize anything out of the ordinary, but it might be my bad speaker quality. My GC2300 always had some sort of dull whine in the background maybe. Didn’t really sound hydraulic to me. Is it another variation of the tach cable whine?
Funny, the tach cable problem others have reported was the first thing that came to mind, but I thought in those cases, the tach was not showing the proper RPM. meaning, when it happened, the tach was pegged, no matter when the actual engine RPM was. Mine seems to be following the engine RPM just fine. In the video, there is no noticeable whine/squeal to me at idle. You can hear it increase as RPMs go up, and its really noticeable when it hit 2500 rpms. I wish I had a baseline video, but this is definitely a noticeable change from the sound of the engine over what it has sounded like for the past 4 years.

Oh geeze, and I forgot to mention, the engine seemed to bog down a couple times. I mow at 3k RPM and when going up the small hill in my back yard, it bogged down and I got a touch of black smoke. That has never happened before, even with the loader and backhoe on, its never been a problem to climb in high gear, especially if I was at 3K rpm. It was just me and mower this time, so something isnt right. My first thought was maybe the fuel filter, but then it started squealing/whining.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,469 Posts
I just listened again. I believe that might actually be hydraulic Mine made the same noise. Mine was most noticeable when slowly raising or lowering the 3pt. If it’s relief valve somehow, it might indicate some extra hydraulic load somewhere in the system, explaining why it’s working a bit harder where it hasn’t before. Maybe Tudor can weigh in with some hydraulic system maintenance or quirk suggestions. I never did change the hydraulic oil or filter on mine before I sold it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds like something is forcing a load on the system. Are all moving parts, belts, wheels, fans and screens cleared of debris? Keeping your QC's clean upon addition and removal of implements? Hydraulic oil clean and full?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I figured it out. Mouse nest in the air filter! Haven't had a problem with critters since I've had a tractor (7 years now). This is how it should sound.

IMG_6198.jpg IMG_6200.jpg

·
We're all friends here
14,289 Posts
Interesting that you actually looked at the air filter. I wouldn't have guessed that the problem was there. Good troubleshooting.

·
2,825 Posts
Good deal, glad you found it. (y)

When I bought the Shibaura I heard some whining too...

...slept on the sofa for a couple nights and the noise stopped. :ROFLMAO:

🍻

·
Registered
269 Posts
I actually had the exact same thing happen @Fiziksgeek ...I had to buy a new air filter to get rid of the smell of rodent. They chewed some wiring on my ignition harness I had to fix as well.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I had talked to the dealer and was getting prepared to bring it in for them to look at later this week. I thought I would jut go out and poke around a bit. Had the thought that I could have 2 separate problems, one causing the whining sound and one causing a power problem. I once got a bad (dirty) batch of fuel so I checked out the fuel filter, but it still looks nice and pink. Check the oil, looked round for loose or broken wires. Then went to the air filter.

Reduced air flow could obviously cause the engine to lose power, causing it to bog down and put out a little smoke on hills that it never has before. So I removed the air filter and blew everything out real good, and when I started her back up, the whining sound was gone. I don't know if the way the air was flowing through the debris made the sound, or something else, but its gone. Drove around and everything seems back to normal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh...I didn't have that sound though....I found mine on spring maintenance...had a nest on the battery and in the air filter box

1 - 13 of 13 Posts