My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've become the neighborhood "snow removal guy" the last few years. Yeah I know; it's July we hit 100* today but the year is flying by.
I have (2) tractors; one is an ST/12 Suburban the other is a Roper 16T. (same frame but that one's a hydrostat) both have the old Sears/Roper "white" snowblower attachments for them; single stage and (IIRC) 38-ish" path.

2 days ago I wound up with a 2 year old Deere 828 D that's **** near brand new; not a scratch. got it in a trade. used twice (the 1st winter) and not at all last year (owner's Dad bought it but passed away before last winter) it's a 2 stage. and has that fancy headlite on it. and a diff lock. and unusual but this thing actually has tons of grease fittings. it does have a little surface rust inside the 2nd stage impeller housing but the outside is NEW!

My experience with small engine powered equip is typically that a dedicated machine works better for its intended purpose than a jack of all trades, attachment laden powerplant.
like a tractor that plows, blows snow, mows, tills etc dependng on the attachment; the individual purrpose built machines do better for "that" need.
but more engines to maintain and carbs to keep clean, especially with today's "gas";
do you guys think it's better to have several different machines, one for each task or that one machine that does everything?

the last couple years 98% of the reason those tractors are here is for their capability to run the snowblowers; maybe 2% of that time they run they might pull a yard wagon around.

so if I were to part with something would it be the tractor or this recently acquired snow blower? I do have a few attachments for the tractors as well.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wrong time o'year to ask I guess. no opinions? big w/b snowblower or garden tractor w/a snow attachment?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
sears with the blower and weights and chains = unstoppable

·
Premium Member
9,956 Posts
Ok, redundancy is a good thing. In a blizzard you don't want your second line of snow defense to be a shovel. There is nothing more fun than snow blowing on your tractor, but there are places the walk behind will go that the tractor can't/shouldn't. Just be thankful you have both!

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK but I think I may be able to part with 1 tractor and blower; certainly not both though. Between my son and I we have 2 Suburbans w/blowers. the kid wants to find a plow/dozer blade for one; a few years ago we had a pretty good system; one of us on (when I had it) the JD 214 with the blade and the other on the Sears w/the blower. I had both a blade and a blower for that 214 and the blade was the better snow attachment for that machine. (I later found a problem w/the blower once it "melted" dry that had I known would have probably evened the playing field)
but I blew the engine and didnt have the funds to rebuild or repower the 214 at the time so I sold that tractor as a "project" on CL shortly after it blew up. the blower and blade went seperately.
the blade was great for corner cleanup and moving snowblower trailings
I've had a 4WD pickup w/a 8.5' plow, several garden tractors with blades or blowers and walk behind blowers over the years that I've sold off. I like to go to estate auctions like "now" (this time of year) and pick them up cheap in the offseason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts