My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
lexmark
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ...i know im opening my self up here because this is a dumb question .....but which way do the blades go? I recently bought a set of JD high lift blades for my 445 with 54 inch deck the parts guy told me to make sure i installed then correctly he showed me where JD stamps the part number into the blade he says this side goes up toward the deck ...ok i went back today and got another set of high lift blades for my 425 with 48 inch deck a different parts guy told me just the opposite he says the part number should face the ground? ? Is there a easy fool proof way to know? Go easy on me im new remeber....

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
The cutting edge should go away from the deck on normal blades. I have never used high lift blades so I don't know why HL blades would be different. IMHO.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Lex, If everyone knew everything there wouldn't be any place for all us guys to hang out and feel smart. The blades have a cutting edge and a curved lip. the curved lip should face up toward your mower deck. An easy way to tell is turn you deck on to see which way the spindles turn. Which ever way the spindles turns that is the side the cutting edge should face and turn.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,756 Posts
The blades on my Poulan are marked "Grass Side" to help you install them correctly. JD blades are not. High lift blades are just like a little propeller. The curved parts of the blade and the ground beveled cutting edge should be facing up towards the underside of the mower deck.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,538 Posts
Or, you could try my neighbor's plan. Just put them on and mow for a couple years and see whether you are actually cutting the grass, or just more or less blunt-force trauma-ing the grass into submission. Is there a good way to tell a neighbor he has his blades on up-side-down?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
:fing20:

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I'd probably say hey uhh your blades are on backward but that might be why I'm so well liked:dunno: :sorry1:I get called a smart a** on kind of a regular basis along with a few other names staring with the same word lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Or, you could try my neighbor's plan. Just put them on and mow for a couple years and see whether you are actually cutting the grass, or just more or less blunt-force trauma-ing the grass into submission. Is there a good way to tell a neighbor he has his blades on up-side-down?
Yeah but at least he'll never need to sharpen his blades!:00000060:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd probably say hey uhh your blades are on backward but that might be why I'm so well liked:dunno: :sorry1:I get called a smart a** on kind of a regular basis along with a few other names staring with the same word lol
Right after you ask if he made sure to change the winter air back to summer air in the tires. I love to pull that one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.