My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we have a bit of a dilemma. We have 2 snow blowers, both picked up for free due to unknown problems at the time. Anyhow they both just needed a good carb cleaning and tune up, now they both run perfect. One is a 21" 5hp 2 cycle Craftsman with electric start, the other is a Toro CCR2000 4.5hp 2 cycle 20". Both look and run like new. We live in Va and occasionally (like last winter) we get slammed with snow. We want to keep one in case something happens, we dont have a ton of sidewalk space and we have enough driveway to park 2 vehicles. Which machine in your opinion would you keep and which would you sell and why? We have never used either of them to clear snow so we dont know anything about the pros and cons of either. Thanks!

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Ok so we have a bit of a dilemma. We have 2 snow blowers, both picked up for free due to unknown problems at the time. Anyhow they both just needed a good carb cleaning and tune up, now they both run perfect. One is a 21" 5hp 2 cycle Craftsman with electric start, the other is a Toro CCR2000 4.5hp 2 cycle 20". Both look and run like new. We live in Va and occasionally (like last winter) we get slammed with snow. We want to keep one in case something happens, we dont have a ton of sidewalk space and we have enough driveway to park 2 vehicles. Which machine in your opinion would you keep and which would you sell and why? We have never used either of them to clear snow so we dont know anything about the pros and cons of either. Thanks!
Keep the Toro for sure!! Much better quality than Sears. Toro invented the first snow blower, the Snow Hound. :fing32:

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Parts(plastic) are expensive on both models, but you have 2 solid engines in terms of performance. The CCR Suzuki is nice, but parts are quite expensive as opposed to the Tecumseh, though parts will be available for sometime yet. I wouldn't worry about it. Best bet is to try them out when you get a good snow next time, then sell the other when you can make the most $$ do to the season being in full swing.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Heres' an F series slug/rod compared to the HSK series from Tecy. I rebuilt one last year to help my son make some money around the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
I'd lean towards the Toro but Echoman is right, test them both and keep the one that works best for you. You may find one more comfortable to operate than the other, and I think that might trump any quality difference. Personally I can't stand to operate the newer Husqvarna snowthrowers, the handles are too tall for me, I can't control the speed very well and I found I was almost as tired after using it as if I had shoveled by hand! On the other hand my old, now retired Toro was a dream to operate until the transmission went. Go with what you like.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess we'll have to wait and see, selling one when the snow starts coming down is probably the best bet. As far as starting them and wheeling them around the driveway they might as well be the same machine. No telling which will be better in the snow though until that season arrives. Here are the two, both look brand new and run flawless. Not bad for free huh?

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
FREE is always good! I've gotten many great pieces like this over the last few years. I gave a model like the unit you have pictured up top to my F-I-L last fall. I replaced the worn out plastic bushing/bearing on the auger with another actual ball bearing, so all new(3) bearings and rubber on the auger, with minor tweaks here and there. Even though parts are readily available for both models, I'd lean towards keeping the Toro as they are built with better grades of material, and performance should be very similar, but testing side by side will be your best bet in making a decision. If storage isn't an issue, do just that. F.W.I.W, if that Craftsman looks as good as it runs, you'll have NO problems selling it for at least $100 come next season.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Once you use them both, you'll choose the Toro. The handles on those craftsman machines are low (don't know how tall you are) and they are flimsy. My neighbor's (looks to be the same as your's) folded in half on him while he was using it last year and it didn't bend where it bolts up when it folded!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Where in VA are you? My momma lives in Leesburg as Echoman said I'd gladly pay $100-$175 for that craftsman.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Where in VA are you? My momma lives in Leesburg as Echoman said I'd gladly pay $100-$175 for that craftsman.
~~crickets....crickets...~~ where'd he go????

I sent a PM as well.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
for me id take what ever is the easyiest to work on...to me tech is not one of them.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I may try and mount an Techy HSK in a Toro blower frame. That would be a nice setup. The HSK's will take more abuse and lack of maintenance and still perform well over the R-tek. These tend to suffer just as many carb and coil woes as their Duraforce brothers do.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I may try and mount an Techy HSK in a Toro blower frame. That would be a nice setup. The HSK's will take more abuse and lack of maintenance and still perform well over the R-tek. These tend to suffer just as many carb and coil woes as their Duraforce brothers do.
Wish I knew WHERE S10lowrider went...no respondie to PMs or email.....he boogied....:greendr:

Guess he's keepin both.:banghead3

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
startin to re-think(altho too late) buying that single stage atlas from cl

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts