My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ace on the Base
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put an ad on craigslist that I'm looking for a skid steer around $3000 and I have gotten a few emails. What do you guys think is the best deal and how much do you think it's worth?

Here's the most recent email from this morning:

"I have an old New Holland L445. It was used daily until this past summer when the coupling from the engine to the pumps failed. The engine is still strong and as far as I know, the pumps are good. I was the guy in it when it failed and I do not think the pumps seized. It has an air cooled Deutz deisel in it. Has been a good little machine, but does not have the safety features of the new ones. Not the best if you are going to have employees using it. $1000 if your interested."

I did not get any images with this email.

The next one:

"it’s a 196? something mustang skid steer rebuilt carb new fuel pump new cap rotor points plugs condeser coil a few new hydralic hoses all new fluids.but needs gas tanks drained and flushed crap in tanks keeps keeps it from running right just don’t have time for it $2000.00."

The first 2 pictures are the Mustang.

1980 Bobcat 610:
"1980 bobcat 610 skid steer, gas powered, fan cooled model recent tires, good condition needs a little work. $3500 Obo."

rough looking Bobcat M700 (Pics 3&4)
"m700 aux hydralics 2spd rough looking needs carb cleaning just fixed alt replaced few hydralic o rings tires good detach bucket good little machine has v 4 wisconsin /could use paint 2500 cash"

1975 JD 70 (not bad looking)

"It is a good snow machine in tight places. Has a Wisconsin VG4D (37 hp) engine that looks like it could have been used by the military when new. Comes with 2 buckets, the snow bucket on it and a smaller dirt bucket. Had fuel tank problem but will have a new tank on back before it goes. Looking for $2950 OBO."

That's all of the offers. I would like to know how much you think each one is worth and which is the best deal from the information I have. I have pictures of the other skid steers except for the 1980 Bobcat 610 and the New Holland L445, but it doesnt let you upload more than 4 pictures. I can include the others in another post. It's a hard decision for me because I think they are all good deals. Please help!

:thanku:

Attachments

·
10,839 Posts
The 610 is good, reliable machine. But at $3,500, and needing work? Well...........

IMO, the NH is the best of the bunch, ability-wise. It easily has the most lift of the ones listed. It will also be the easiest on fuel, by a long shot. But, what if the pump is damaged? Not hard to find a donor, but $$$$$$ is unknown.

The JD 70 will be light duty. But parts will be easy to come by, and re-powering it, if necessary, can be done several different ways.

·
Ace on the Base
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was considering the JD 70, it looks mint but i didn't think about the pump at all. I also was considering one that is not priced, and is an ad of its own. It's a pretty rough looking Mustang 960, but at the same time it looks like a strong machine. There are a lot of options but I think you helped me narrow it down the the 610, JD 70, or possibly the 960. Theres always the possibility of talking the guy down from $3500 so it's still an option, I guess.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The New Holland sounds like the most interesting to me, one because it's diesel and two because I'm cheap. :biglaugh:

My concerns are twofold; one, he says it ran great when it broke down. Does it actually run now, or would it need some work to get it going? Are parts available for the Deutz diesels, because eventually it will need something.

Two, what caused the coupling to fail? I'm not very familiar with skid steers, is this a normal thing, or a result of excessive wear on the engine or pump where they mate to the coupler? Like Cat385B said, what if the pump or a hydraulic motor failed and that damaged the coupler? An awful lot of unknowns with that one.

What is the NH worth in good running shape? What would it cost to replace the pump and two hydraulic motors? I'd try to buy it at a little less than running value minus cost of repairs. If you're going to go through the trouble of fixing it, then get a good enough deal to be worth it. It may not need a pump, or any motors, but there's just as much of a chance that it does.

Do they all use a current, standard type of skid steer quick attach? It would suck to buy one, then find out that modern attachments won't fit it. I'm getting ready to look for a used one in this same price range, so I'll be following along to see what you end up with. Good luck!

·
10,839 Posts
None of the models listed will have a current quick attach plate, unless it has been added by the owner. Nor would they have the hydraulic flow rate necessary to run any motor driven attachments. (standard flow, around 15 gpm; or high flow, around 25-30 gpm)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think the 445 has a quick attach but the older style?

I had an L35 and the bucket pump attached to a gear box that run two shafts that run the drive motors.The gears were bad an very costly,also had to replace the drive chain and gears on one side and were very costly.It also had a Vickors vane pump that needed rebuilt as it was very weak.

I always like the NH because they were the only ones with their lift setup back when that machine was made.

·
Registered
74 Posts
None of the models listed will have a current quick attach plate, unless it has been added by the owner. Nor would they have the hydraulic flow rate necessary to run any motor driven attachments. (standard flow, around 15 gpm; or high flow, around 25-30 gpm)
Roughly when did the modern configuration show up? I guess it probably varied by manufacturer, but is there a ballpark?

·
10,839 Posts
Roughly when did the modern configuration show up? I guess it probably varied by manufacturer, but is there a ballpark?
Bobcat was first, I think. Probably mid-80's? New Holland held out for awhile with their version, probably until the early 90's.

Just a guess, everybody was on board by the mid-90's.

Not a big deal, imo. Check your local CL for skid steer attachment plate. Around here, there is a couple of welding shops that make them up for sale. All you would have to have done is weld in pins in the proper location, and mount it up. (if you wish to be able to switch buckets out, and use modern stuff)

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Don't waste your money on a cheap SS. Expect to pay at least 10K for something useable. I have seen people buy supposedly "cheap" skid steers for 3-4000, and end up putting in rebuilt engines, pumps and motors for thousands of additional dollars, and they still have a piece of junk when they're done. A rotating group for a hydrostatic pump is $1000 alone, and that assumes you can install it. When I got rid of my rental business, I sold a nice 6 year old (2002 model) JD 240 for $10,000. It's a current machine with good parts availability and was in ready-to-use condition. Any of these old, obsolete skid steers from the '60's and '70's are worth little more than scrap value, IMO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't buy a old - cheap fix-er upper you will be not be happy in the long run. Grandpa always said you can polish a terd and you still got sh#t. I have owned dozens of loaders or the last 30 years - most of them new Bobcats - never had much luck with the few fixer uppers I purchased as they always needed just a little more fixing.
Send the money up front for a machine with LOW hours and if you buy from a dealer you will get some kind of a warranty - usually 30 days

1 - 10 of 10 Posts