My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a lawn tractor but do not know a lot about them so any advice would be great.

I am a big guy, 6'3" about 450 pounds. I have about 1/2 an acre which is pretty flat except next to the road where there is a water run off, which is more of a dip than a ditch. I plan you only use the tractor for mowing.

Can you suggest the tractor that will allow me to be the most comfortable?

I have read a lot of information but no one puts the dimensions of the seat or the measurement from the steering wheel tot the back of the seat. I just want to be as comfortable as i can be.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Since you're only using it for mowing I'll throw something out there. my Gravely ZT HD 60 has plenty of room for a big guy I'm 6'4" and when I started mowing with it I was 385 I weigh a little less now.

The armrests fold up so there's plenty of seat-room.
There around 5 grand you didn't list a price

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you're only using it for mowing I'll throw something out there. my Gravely ZT HD 60 has plenty of room for a big guy I'm 6'4" and when I started mowing with it I was 385 I weigh a little less now.

The armrests fold up so there's plenty of seat-room.
There around 5 grand you didn't list a price
thank you, i was trying to stay around 3k but after looking at this I may have to step up and spend the extra cash

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Depending on where you live and grass conditions, you may want to avoid mowing your grass when it's been hot and dry for awhile. I'm 6'5"/290, and on my Gravely ZTXL 42, my wheels would occasionally leave tracks in the grass when I drove (when I mowed a week later, most of the grass was still green, but the grass had turned yellow where my wheels had been).

Between that happening a couple of times, and once going over an edge into a ravine, I switched to a 52" Snapper Pro hydro walkbehind mower, and it works well for me.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Depending on where you live and grass conditions, you may want to avoid mowing your grass when it's been hot and dry for awhile. I'm 6'5"/290, and on my Gravely ZTXL 42, my wheels would occasionally leave tracks in the grass when I drove (when I mowed a week later, most of the grass was still green, but the grass had turned yellow where my wheels had been).

Between that happening a couple of times, and once going over an edge into a ravine, I switched to a 52" Snapper Pro hydro walkbehind mower, and it works well for me.
Dave you must have a long torso. I started with the 2014 Gravely zt xl and mowed one year with it before I got tired of my knees bang the bars and traded up to the HD; much more leg room on HD.

You can get nice used ZTRs for $3k just go sit on some.

·
Premium Member
7,361 Posts
Some tractors have fairly simple seat mounts so that you could fabricate brackets out of angle iron or square tubing that would raise the entire seat track and move it back, while others are not as simple and would require more engineering to make modifications like that.

Only way to know what you'll be comfortable on would be to go and try them out for yourself. I'm 5' 11" and 185 lbs. and I need to adjust the seat all of the way back on almost all lawn and garden tractors that I've sat on because of leg/knee clearance issues. The SCUTs and CUTs are better. All of the ones I have tried have been most comfortable for me with the seat one to 2 notches forward of the rearmost position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after visiting the local stores I found a cub cadet zero turn, zt1 42", to be the best fit for me. I liked how it was built and performs pretty well. That is what I am getting to solve my mowing needs. Thank you all for all the help.

·
Parts collector
2,778 Posts
after visiting the local stores I found a cub cadet zero turn, zt1 42", to be the best fit for me. I liked how it was built and performs pretty well. That is what I am getting to solve my mowing needs. Thank you all for all the help.
As long as it works for you and you are happy, good for you. :thThumbsU

Personally all I could do is mow with one of them and would still have to have other tractors to take care of the rest of my yard duties.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts