My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been doing maintenance on engines for years, Which included Oil changes; In splash systems older machines we would put 20x 40 oil it the crankcase. newer pressure systems It was 10x30, This worked well; Here is an interesting point My Dodge Dakota Quad cab Small V6 engine Has plenty of power I pull a trailer with 4. 318s on it Or equal weight It does between 19.5 and 20, mpg at 58 mph ; Heres the interesting thing, I do my own Oil change, I allways use 5x20 oil Well I drained the oil didn't have no 5x20 so i put some 20x40 in it , Had to run down to Salem To pick up a tractor Round trip 485 Miles. any way my gas mileage with that heavey oil is 15 mpg.I shell go back to 5x20 oil and see if my mileage goes back up;:thSick:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not a Deere but unless you were running in death valley you could do some damage to that motor. You can usually move up one grade IE: 5-20 to 5-30 depending on temps but that 20-40 is just to thick to get into some of the small gallies and bearings in a newer motor. What did your oil pressure do? I would change it back as soon as you can.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To you I do maintinance on john Deeres. For those of you who missed the piont,,;; the heavier oil takes horse power just to turn the engine ;; there for it will have less power to the rear wheels of my John Deere. I know there are some readers that will say WHATS the point;; If you don't get it put a stick with it. OK. That is why my triton v10 Ford wants 5x20 oil. it needs all the HP it can get;

·
Registered
948 Posts
To you I do maintinance on john Deeres. For those of you who missed the piont,,;; the heavier oil takes horse power just to turn the engine ;; there for it will have less power to the rear wheels of my John Deere. I know there are some readers that will say WHATS the point;; If you don't get it put a stick with it. OK. That is why my triton v10 Ford wants 5x20 oil. it needs all the HP it can get;
Whoa, whoa there Mr. B. Take a chill pill. No need to be telling anyone to "put a stick with it". I'm no dummy, and quite frankly, I did not "get it". Your original post made no mention of "John Deere", nor that you do maintenance on John Deeres. We are not mind readers. Your attitude does not fit well, whether we get it or not.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't know,but in a splash system,you need the oil to splash to properly lubricate......correct. Maybe I'm missing something about older stuff,but how can such a heavy oil be good for a splash system. Doesn't seem that it would splash much at all.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts