My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping my dad look for a replacement for his Cub 1641. I recently found a 2009 Legacy XL with loader and mower deck for 10,000 with 9 total hours of use. I didn't get a reply back from the owner on craigslist so I am assuming it has sold.

So here are my questions.

Dad currently owns a Cub loboy 154 and Cub 1641 GT with 3pt.

He is looking for a smaller tractor that can handle a brush hog, loader and other various attachment to replace his 1641, and future parade tractor (154)

Can anyone give me feedback on the Legacy XL tractors? I love the look of these and Dad does as well. He doesn't get on the interwebs much so I am seeking out opinions for him.

I have suggested the following units...

JD 2305/2320 (which I would assume to both be larger tractors... atleast the 2320)

Kubota BX (smaller unit with loader and mower)

Used Cub Cadet 1782 (mid 2000ish model) with rear 2000 rpm PTO, Cat 0 3pt, 60" deck.

I think he would like to go with a diesel for longevity. 4x4 would be a plus if he opts for a loader or uses a back blade/front blade.

I know he would like to stay with a "big" little tractor. I'm afraid the JD 2320 is physically larger than what he wants. The Cub 1782 is about the right size if anyone is familiar with one.(put he would have to find specific cub rear mowers/impliments to run off the rear PTO)

The legacy XL seems to fall between the two... how big of a rear finish mower or brush hog can one of these handle? How about the loader? Is it as capable as one of the JD's or Kubota's? How does the diesel compare to the Yanmar and Kubota rivals?

What kind of price would one expect to pay for a used XL diesel with loader? What kind of price have you guys received on new/used units? If he went with a gas powered unit, which would be the best power option?

Again,

Thank you for your help.

Nicholas

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which are the easiest for parts and service in his area?
We have established dealers for all brands mentioned above. The furthest away is about 35-40 minutes away. I believe they have all been in business for atleast 20-25+ years (with the exception of the JD dealer at this location.. they are huge and have been around other areas for years). The cub dealer seems slightly slow on the service end of things, but customer friendly. Dad and I have both purchased parts from them over the years.

I know the owner of the Simplicity dealership, and he's a really nice guy. He also knew my great grandparents really well. They were also in the tractor biz but got out of it when I was really little. They sold Ford farm tractors, and Bolens / FMC products.

Nick

·
Lost & Found
210 Posts
I'm helping my dad look for a replacement for his Cub 1641. I recently found a 2009 Legacy XL with loader and mower deck for 10,000 with 9 total hours of use. I didn't get a reply back from the owner on craigslist so I am assuming it has sold.]

If this is the XL out of the Columbus Craigslist, I would pass on this one.It's been advertised for at least 3-4 months and has been on re listed twice on ebay (again assuming it's the same one). Something just doesn't seem right with it, be glad he didn't call you. I would love to have an XL with a FEL, diesel and 4x4, but unfortunately it's not in the budget right now. I know a lot of people prefer sub cuts , but for me the XL would be the perfect size! I'm sorry I don't have any helpful input, but best of luck in your search:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a cub cadet 1782 for sale, There the hog dads of lawn mowers.. It will mow a field at just above idle... It has 520 hrs and is like new..
They have power steering, hyd deck, hydro drive and a rear pto, tilt steering, adjustable seat, dual rear disk cutter brakes, just a very very strong quiet tractor.
And on top of all that they have a 17HP kubota 3cly diesel.

I think there the best little tractor you can buy!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't know what the problem is with the one in Ohio the fella has a 100% positive feedback and if I were looking for one I'd sure check it out for that price he has at 9500.
I have the Legacy XL 4X4 with the 27hp Kohler with 250 hours on it and I have the FEL along with the 60" deck and the 47" 2 stage snow blower along with the hardside cab.
It does everything that I want to do with no problems at all.

·
Registered
700 Posts
There are a bunch of older threads here about the XL, including pics and video links. Spend some time and search them out. Try searching YouTube also. You'll find a commercial user, a guy who uses it with the backhoe, myself who uses it as a bulldozer etc.

Luckily I have the 4WD diesel, FEL and 60" deck. This is just one sweet machine. You don't mention what you want to use it for, but I would have no problems recommending it for just about any basic work.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I have a cub cadet 1782 for sale, There the hog dads of lawn mowers.. It will mow a field at just above idle... It has 520 hrs and is like new..
They have power steering, hyd deck, hydro drive and a rear pto, tilt steering, adjustable seat, dual rear disk cutter brakes, just a very very strong quiet tractor.
And on top of all that they have a 17HP kubota 3cly diesel.

I think there the best little tractor you can buy!
Or the 782D's.

·
TRACTORHAULIC
100 Posts
Hello Nick, I have a 2007 Legacy XL with 27hp Kawasaki liquid cooled engine, 4x4, 60" deck, FEL, and a 48" tiller for the 3 point. When I bought the tractor I had no use for the FEL, and now I don't know how we ever managed without it. I also knew I would have no real justification for the 4 wheel drive until I used to pile some Wisconsin snow 8 feet in the air. I do wish I would have popped for the diesel but thats just a personal preference thing, my Kawasaki has all the stones I need and I do give this tractor a workout at times. I just hit 205 hours without and problems. the fuel economy is good, not as good as the diesel maybe but I don't complain. Since we bought it we have moved about 20 or so tons of decorative stone, base gravel and sand for a patio project. Not to mention about 1000 sq. ft. of garden tilling. In short I would buy another in a heartbeat. Hope this helps.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts