My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people have used LED's on there tractors to lighten things up. Any imput on the LED's and which one?

:dunno:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It's just an 1156 based bulb, isn't it?

There are loads of threads on the subject of LED replacements for tractors using 1156 based bulbs.

The bottom line is that they do use less power, sure look pretty when looking at them head on, but do a miserable job of illumination.

Don't waste your money at this time. Maybe later 1156 based LEDs will turn into something usable, but for now, they just make good taillights.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D-Dogg thanks just looking for something brighter.Ends up I have been finishing cutting grass in the dark the last few times. Hate this time of year. Also looking for the winter when I plow.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
LEDs are simply not brighter, bnew. If you look at the output in lumens, they are about a third the output of the typical incandescent.

The reason they look so bright when viewed head on is the light frequency is higher on the Kelvin scale (basically the light comes closer to the frequency of sunlight. Also, the light is more coherent (not as dispersed) which is why they are annoying to look at head on.

But from the tractor's seat, the LEDs simply fail to give you anything over traditional bulbs.

Now, on the other hand, there are some very good purpose built LED light assemblies such as those sold by our site advertiser MobileHID.com, which will give you more light within the current budget of your tractor's alternator.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I know people have used LED's on there tractors to lighten things up. Any imput on the LED's and which one?

:dunno:
Are you looking for a direct bulb replacement or something to add to the existing stock lights?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For now direct replacement. But I would and could change anything. I am still under warr. I also heard that the halogen conversions eat up too much power. I need something with more candlepower.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you want an add-on light, you might want to look into LED bike lights like those found on Deal Extreme, Manafont, etc. For a ready made replacement, I do not believe that any exist. The 1156/1157 bulb mentioned earlier is simply a replacement for a tail/turnsignal light, not intended to be a driving light. I find the 1156/1157 bulbs aremostly recommended for some of the older motorcycles that can barely re-charge their own batteries.

Paul

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
For now direct replacement. But I would and could change anything. I am still under warr. I also heard that the halogen conversions eat up too much power. I need something with more candlepower.
Do you by chance have a grill guard you could mount them to? I hate to think about drilling holes for foot rest, fender, or hood mounting.

Does the X320 have a place near the console that some accessory mounts (I recall someone mounting a fan or light in a pre-existing mount point). If so or if you have a grill guard something similar to the following might work well. I have recently seen ones like this (on eBay) that are twice as powerful as these and would give some decent light for low power draw. I have two similar lights (5 x 3 watt LEDs = 15 watts for each light) mounted on my Weather Enclosure roof and they provide very good light (but are mounted higher up and are used when it is snow white out - not for mowing).

·
SugarTyres
34 Posts
I looked into this earlier for the same reason, i.e. cutting grass at night. I talked to a store that specialized in exotic small auto lightbulbs. The gist was you can go brighter with halogen or xenon bulbs that fit the same socket. However, not if your housing is made of plastic, as the halogen and xenon burn much hotter. As other's have said, LED's are not brighter, they just save power.

In the end, I just replaced with another standard tungsten. However I did get significant improvement by taking out the headlight housing and washing out all the fine dust film that accumulated in there. The difference was amazing, and I had no problem mowing at night. Actually, a majority of my mowing is done at night because I hate to give up the weekends, prefer the cool temperature, and I don't have any neighbors to worry about bothering.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Direct replacement best choice (well document here at MTF) is 35watts halogen P796 bulb.

Here's the test result Here

And the discussion about it Here :thThumbsU

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stladrill, how is the heat build up? I was reading that sylvania 3497 will drop in with slight more power draw no heat build up but a lot brighter. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stadrill I just pulled an old thread. I see you have to do an up grade to get the halogen lights. Does that draw too much power for the stock X320? Or can I just swap out to do the upgrade?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Through wattage, we can determine the heat output and the drain on the electrical system. We cannot derive lumens (light output) from watts consumed - that will vary across bulb manufacturers.

A 20 watt 1156 based Halogen claims to output more lumens than an incandescent 1156 bulb which will draw anywhere between 20 and 29 watts. So from a heat perspective, you should be fine with a 20 watt Halogen.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Stladrill, how is the heat build up? I was reading that sylvania 3497 will drop in with slight more power draw no heat build up but a lot brighter. Any advice is appreciated.
So far that's good, the lights will really work long hours this winter and I don't anticipate any heat built up during cold periode

Stadrill I just pulled an old thread. I see you have to do an up grade to get the halogen lights. Does that draw too much power for the stock X320? Or can I just swap out to do the upgrade?
If you talk about the 35 watts P796 halogen lamp no you don't have to upgrade anything just replace the old 1156 with the P796.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The heat generated by lamps of a given wattage is the same. However a halogen lamp of a given wattage will have a greater lumen output then its standard incandescent equivalent. So changing from standard 1156 lamp to a halogen equivalent will result in more lumens. The p796 is both a halogen type lamp but also slightly higher power. About 90% more effective lumens at a cost of only 30% more power.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where can I find the bulbs? Who makes them ? I am having a hard time finding them.
Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where can I find the bulbs and who makes them? I am having a hard time trying to find them.
Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
989 Posts
Where can I find the bulbs? Who makes them ? I am having a hard time finding them.
Thanks for all the help
I bought mine online direct from volvo. Price was 7.95.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for all the help
I bought the 3497 Krpton at Napa for $6 a pair.They are definatly brighter than the stock bulb.I hope that helps.Good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts