My Tractor Forum banner

which JD should I get?

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  jwill1776 
#1 ·
I am looking at most likely the JD x534. However I really want a 700 series. For $800 more I can get a 720 instead of the 534. I do have about 50 trees on my 3 acres and some of them are narrow, so the 4 wheel steer would come in handy.

On the flip side, I want to be able to push snow, and i really like the dual hydraulics versus manual angle. We get 1-3 snows a year of 1-3 inches, occasionally an 8-10, but you can clear that several times to manage, means more seat time. I used to use a 2000 Craftsman GT before.

I also like the availability of the 3pt on the 700's, but all I really need it for is a box blade and there is a sleeve hitch for the box blade.

The biggest thing is the air cooled vs liquid cooled. Why can't they make the 534 with liquid???? the 520 is and the 540 is, why not the 534?

price tag being a big factor, not the original price, but the add on's, leaning towards 534.

Talk to me, thanks.

#2 ·
Id go with the 720. More options and power plus dual hydro.

#3 ·
I would get the 534. Mowing will be easier and if you go with the Johnny plow instead of the JD plow you can still have a power angle. Take a look at the Johnny Products website before making your purchase, I think you will like their sleeve hitch and plow.

If you really want the bigger machine ask your dealer to let you try one out on your property before purchase. Any dealer worth their salt should let you have a test run on your property.

#6 ·
:ditto: . . . or more! :)

#9 ·
i am looking at most likely the jd x534. However i really want a 700 series. For $800 more i can get a 720 instead of the 534. I do have about 50 trees on my 3 acres and some of them are narrow, so the 4 wheel steer would come in handy.

On the flip side, i want to be able to push snow, and i really like the dual hydraulics versus manual angle. We get 1-3 snows a year of 1-3 inches, occasionally an 8-10, but you can clear that several times to manage, means more seat time. I used to use a 2000 craftsman gt before.

I also like the availability of the 3pt on the 700's, but all i really need it for is a box blade and there is a sleeve hitch for the box blade.

The biggest thing is the air cooled vs liquid cooled. Why can't they make the 534 with liquid???? The 520 is and the 540 is, why not the 534?

Price tag being a big factor, not the original price, but the add on's, leaning towards 534.

Talk to me, thanks.

#10 ·
I always but one size bigger than I really need. Always works out and the machine lasts longer. The dual hydraulics are nice for many things. The 720 is so much more versatile.

IMO...

#11 ·
Have you considered used?

Here is a 425 for $2,200 that is about 39 miles from your location. The 425, I believe, would be comparable to a X700 in terms of capabilities. Power steering, liquid cooled Kawasaki twin engine, Hydro trans with locking diff, 2 spool Front hydraulics and plenty of attachment options. The trctor looks in decent shape in the pictures.

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/grd/1884641569.html

Starting with that kind of platform for only $2,200 (maybe less if the seller is willing to deal).. then you would be way ahead of the game. Add $400 for a 3pt hitch, another $400 for the box blade and your only at $3,000. Add a johnny bucket Sr. system plow for large JD GT's (hydraulic up/down and angle) for about $1,000... now you have a fully kitted and capable tractor for about $4,000.

Just a suggestion if your looking to save some coin.

Wasper

#12 ·
I say go for the X720.

There a huge difference in machine between the X500 and X700. Not even going into the advantages of weight, better engine etc.

For $800? No brainer... If you think the 500 series would do the job then the 700 series will do it without breaking a sweat and it mows grass just as easily, just as comfortably, as a smaller machine will.

But that's just my biased opinion :)

#13 ·
Thanks wasper. Went and looked at that 425. It has 1500 hours on it. Guy just bought it this spring, it was too big for his wife, and he is a trucker, so she mows the yard, bought themselves a LA series for her.

Did some more searching for that mower, found one with 650 hours for $2500. Going to get it tomorrow. This guy is a 2nd owner, has had it since 2006. He just bought 30 acres and was going to sell the 425 to get a bigger tractor. Well he found the bigger tractor already and needs the $$$.

Also found one in Indy that has a blade and CAB!!! for 2250 with 800 hours. Tractor is rough, missing side panels, broken taillights. Going to most likely get that one too! However, do a little bit of ebaying to find panels and sell the one from indy with 800 hours that has been treated rougher.

Test drove the 425 tonight, it is a machine/tractor, not just a mower. LOVE THAT!
Thanks for all the replies.

#14 ·
I sent a PM to Wasper, buy maybe someone else knows who can get to their computer quicker. Can you run a front blade with hydraulic power angle and lift, and run a 3pt hitch on the back independently at the same time? Basically I want to have a back blade and the front blade for moving snow.
Thanks for all the input.

#16 ·
Do you want to run the front blade and the back blade at the same time? Or just be able to use either at different times? Running the front and three point at the same time would be a challenge because there are basically two hydro circuits, the two blades would lift and drop and the same time. The other issue is the response time of the hydro may be quite slow as the system is not meant to push around that much fluid at one time.

I will say the 425 is great machine, I have owned one for the last year and have done a lot of work with mine.

#15 ·
I had a 425 for 7 years and 960 trouble free hours with it. They are a great tractor. Congrats and enjoy it. When you get it home change out all of the fluids and flush the cooling system and your good to go. slkpk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.