My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
U.S. Air Force
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am asking this question for all of you guys with experience to help my son. I am considered biased by him since I bought a new X500 last year. His friends tell him to get a 400 series, and I suggested a new X500 since it would be new. So I am asking the membership here for their opinions of pro's and con's of each. Thanks in advance.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
32,656 Posts
What 400 series are we talking about? The older straight 400 series or the newer x4xx series. Either way the equivalent to the present series is the x7xx series. Yes you wouldn't have the dealer warranty behind it and there are some of the x400 series that have a plastic cam gear that fails on them causing major grief. But your son could probably get an x400 series tractor for half the price of a new x5xx series and still have more tractor. Depends on what he needs it for, a new x5xx series should last 20 years well maintained can do ground engaging and has all the new attachments available from the dealer. The 400 series may or may not have attachments still available but may have to chase down on the aftermarket! These will vary in condition and price accordingly!

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
:ditto:

·
Super Moderator
16,489 Posts
The X400 series did not have any plastic cam's it was in the 425 and 445 made from 1992 till 1998 Mid 98 the quit Putting in platic cam Gear from 98 to 2002 they did not have plastic cam Gears. Some of the Kawasakis in theGX300 and the prior 300 made from 1992 until they added the GX in front of it. So nothing to worry on the X465,X475& X485 and you can see how much more of a tractor a X485 is then a Current X500 series
Even the older 420,430,425 and 445 are more tractor than the Current X500 series They can take a loader and a Shaft to pump Hydraulic driven tiller.:thThumbsU

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Serge,

You meant "Plastic Cam Gear" not "Plastic Cam" correct?

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
The X400 series did not have any plastic cam's it was in the 425 and 445 made from 1992 till 1998 Mid 98 the quit Putting in platic cam Gear from 98 to 2002 they did not have plastic cam Gears. Some of the Kawasakis in theGX300 and the prior 300 made from 1992 until they added the GX in front of it. So nothing to worry on the X465,X475& X485 and you can see how much more of a tractor a X485 is then a Current X500 series

Well that's a relief. I was concerned there for a second or three.

IC, what does your son plan to do with his machine?

·
U.S. Air Force
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He plans on mainly using it for mowing, but will probably push some snow in the winter. Not sure if he would doing much else, but we do have an old farm that he may build on it someday and need to do some hauling of dirt.

·
Registered
289 Posts
He plans on mainly using it for mowing, but will probably push some snow in the winter. Not sure if he would doing much else, but we do have an old farm that he may build on it someday and need to do some hauling of dirt.
If that is his plans than a X5** series is all he needs! Take the extra money and put it toward some nice accessories! Plus he will have a nice warranty...

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
A 400 series or X400 series would be great for that because he could add a loader or JB Sr.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Go with the X5xx for now. Worry about getting a little farm tractor when someday comes around.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would say that I would go with an older 400 or X400 series.. in fact that is just what I did. I mean.. I got a tractor with the capabilities of a current X700 series, for half the price of a current X500 series. It doesn't hurt to look around.. you might be surprised what your money can get you in the used market.. especially if your talking new X500 money.

I went with a 2001 445... everything in that picture pretty much adds up to a x500 tractor only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts