My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, so first things first:

My name is Geoff, I live in the Detroit area, and I acquired my first tractor about eight months ago. It's a 1989 Craftsman LT 12/38, model 917.254622, equipped with a Tecumseh 12HP OVXL-120-202040C with a "series 4" carburetor.

When I got it, there was a lot of rust, and the only attachment was a 42" snow plow. I have a corner lot, with a lot of sidewalk to take care of, so I was happy to have it just for the plow.

The carburetor was badly gummed up (the throttle plate wouldn't even move!) so I bought a rebuild kit, tore it down, and got it working again. After that, I adjusted the valves, got the governor set correctly and aside from a little smoke sometimes on startup, it now runs pretty good. After a little cleanup with a rust removal attachment on my drill motor and some fresh silver paint, it even looks halfway respectable.

After the first time out plowing, the bearings on the transmission input shaft failed, so I rebuilt the transmission and now things seem pretty solid. The thing plows well; actually a lot better than I hoped. For anything under about 6", it is done in half the time it would take me with my two-stage walk-behind snowblower.

The problem is that I don't have the deck for the machine, and with all the rain we've been having in SE Michigan, I'm spending about 3 hours a week with my lawn mower. Sure would be nice to sit on the tractor and drive instead.

What decks can I use? The local Craigslist has Craftsman decks every so often, but I'm leery about getting something that won't work.

This old box tractor has a lot of life left in it, and I sure hope I'm cutting grass with it soon! :praying:

·
I'll do that next.....
154 Posts
Welcome Geoff,
Although the deck has been discontinued from Sears, here's a link to the parts list available.

Parts

HTH,
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I've been there a coupla times already...:banghead3

Are there other decks that will fit this machine without a major re-engineering effort, or am I pretty much stuck trying to find the exact same one that came with the machine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts