My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new lawn mower on Sat Aug 14 when Mass has its Sales Tax Holiday. I have looked at Craftsmen, Huskys, and Cub Cadet. I have settled on the CC, as I like the way that machine is set us as far as the panel and controls. I am considering the LTX 1042, LTX 1045 or the LTX 1046. For discussion lets consider the 42 and the 45 the same machine as the only difference is 1 hp and a bigger deck. I would like to how the Single Cylinder Kohler compares to the dual cylinder Kohler as far as reliability and how the PTU compares to the manual engagement. I am looking for a 15 year machine or so so dependability is a big issue. I am replacing a 1998 Scotts 16 hp Kohler. It still runs fine but want to upgrade to a bagger and don't want to invest into my Scotts.

Is there any problems with these machines I should be aware of? I will be purchasing it from a local dealer. He has the same prices as HD and and figure it woul dbe better to have it assembled from a trained tech. I would be adding a bagger and possibly a front bumper.

I have around 15,000 sq' with a very slight hill to get to my shed. I would be using it for cutting and bagging dry and wet grass, pulling a dethatcher and would like the power if I want to pull a small trailer. I won't need a plow or blower.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi Maxspeed I'm pretty sure the newer machines have a 7 year life. However religious maintenance practices could double that.

I cut wet grass all the time and that's hard on a machine and while I don't know for sure I think it could be a show stopper if your bagging the grass too.

You should forget about the bagger and spread the grass out as God intended. Also get a air compressor to clean off the machine ...esp the deck cause that will disintegrate without vigilant, aircraft-like maintenance.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
IMO the twin cylinders are smoother and I would go with the 45" deck as I've had nothing but problems with the 42" deck. Many others have not had problems with the 42" deck. slkpk

·
Registered
192 Posts
I went threw 3 Huskys in one year. Complete junk in my opinion. I now have a Cub LTX 1046 and love it. This is the second year and no problems. Like any machine clean the deck every time you cut.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I don't plan on mowing wet gras but that one time when I have to I wanted a machine that can handle it. I do already have an air compressor and a pressure washer. How well does the Deck wash system work, do you guys use it after every mow and then after a few uses remove the deck and really clean it?

The reason I want the bagger is that I have a pool in the back yard with grass on either side of it. I bought a push bagger for that area so as not have the kids get grass clippings sticking to their wet feet then bring them into the pool. I would then use the Scotts for the front yard and discharge the clippings. Until one day I decided to do the whole yard with the pusher/bagger for the excersize. I recently had surgery on my arm and my neighbor was letting me use his Craftsmen bagger and it made me want a new rider mower.

When you buy from a dealer can you haggle the price a little like buying a car?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The desk wash system is marketing gone bad. In the end, you'll be scraping with the rest of us.

Any of the machines that you listed will work well on the size property you are caring for. Buy the one that has the most USABLE features at the best price. Don't get caught-up in the marketing of HP and tire size. You're buying a grass cutter, not a Mercedes. For that matter, consider a zero-turn or Cub's ZZT42.

The mark-up (or lack thereof) is so little on the machines you've listed that the dealer may not work with you on price. But he/she should stand behind the machine with outstanding service. You wont get that from the big-box stores.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Greg

I couldn't agree more. I could care less about HP or tire size, but I do want the more durable engine. I was wondering how much more durable a twin V single cylinder would be. I have had NO problems with my 12 yr old Scotts Kohler. Although I have read that people think the Kohler Courage engine is not so good.

The zero turn in a nice feature but I just don't have any tight spots that can justify the increase cost.

Can you constantly leave the key in the "yellow range" that allows you to mow in reverse, while mowing forward? Or do I have to put it back into the "green range" when done reversing. When you are reversing, do you have to hold the yellow button in or just push and release it?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I went with the 1046 for the twin Kohler and 2 bagger
So far nice machine, can cut a little under 1/2 acre with 2 empty's

You can leave the key in one postion for all cutting

What to look out for is poor deck paint on the under side [probably all CC's]
I did the 'truck bed coating' after I noticed I was to bare metal after 1 cut
Scroll/search down a couple of pages and look for posts on deck paint

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Grass,

I did see thepostings on the paint. I am leaning toward the 1046. It's nice to get owner feedback before making a large longterm purchase.

What do you mean "2 empties"?

The truck under coating is a good idea, where did you get it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just be informed that the Courage is the low end engine for Kohler. You may not have any problems with it, but it will not take the abuse that a higher quality engine would.
By abuse, it could come from many sources, high engine load, over revving. The biggest thing to watch is the heat of the engine. Make sure that the cooling fins are not caked up with dirt and grass clippings. Don't run it at 3/4 throttle thinking you are being nice to your engine. It will end up building up more heat as it will not move the air enough and may not have sufficient oil flow.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
We have the same tax-free day here in Tn. It's nearly the biggest retail day of the year.
Hmmm................ low taxes stimulate the economy??? Whoda thunk it....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Engine life. Lets do a little math here...

You mention that you cut 15,000 sq/ft per week. You also mention that you don't have a lot of obstacles to justify a zero-turn. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that with a 42" to 46" deck you can about an acre an hour (I use this figure because I can cut more then 1-1/2 acres an hour with my 54" and I do have over two-dozen tree rings on the 3 acres I cut weekly).

There are about 44,000 sq/ft in an acre.

15,000 / 44,000 = .34 which also yields .34 acres an hour or 20 minutes of cutting time.

In the great state of MA there are about 30 weeks where one needs to cut the grass:

20 minutes x 30 weeks is about 10 hours per year.

Mr. Maxspeed also mentions that he would like the tractor to last 15 years:

10 hours per year x 15 years = 150 hours.

Now, what engine is not going to last 150 hours? Heck, lets DOUBLE the time. We're only talking 300 hours. Lifetime.

If the tractor (any tractor) is kept in a good dry shed or garage and is maintained well - it WILL last 15 years with only 150 to 300 hours.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Grass, I was thinking of asking them to throw in the mulch kit and a front bumper if I pay their price.

Gary that was a great analysis, thanks alot. I have 3 trees, one mailbox post, a fence and a swing set to mow around. I do keep the tractor in a shed. I am leaning toward the 1046. Has there been a history of PTU problems that anyone is aware of?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I went thru a large SEmass CC dealer, couldn't get them budge on price
it was on sale for 19 , wouldn't throw in mulch blades, did get them at cost?? bagger at retail
However, I had them put on the mulch kit and noticed when cutting that there was a debris track and lots of shoot output
When I check the old blades vs the bought mulching ones, they are identical with different numbers> the mulch blade matches the mulch number but the factory supplied are supposed to be 2in1
They did not make effort to confirm or correct:fing20:

my under 1/2 acre is about 45+ mins with few obstacles

·
Registered
192 Posts
This fall when I clean,service, and get the Cub ready for a long winter nap I'm going to experiment. There are coatings in the marine industry that will reduce drag on the hull. Some anti fouling paints work by not letting things stick to the bottom. I'm going to play with it and see what happens in the spring. :sterb030:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Grass

I am in Mansfield. This dealer wouldn't be located in Norfolk and start with the letter "c" by any chance?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
You said PTU did you mean PTO??

·
Registered
177 Posts
No, I'm on the Cape, so you may have better luck

1 - 20 of 48 Posts