My Tractor Forum banner

Which cheaper Lawn Tractor models Kawi V-Twin and Heavy Duty Hydrostatic

5K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Ohio GT48DXLS 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a used lawn tractor in the $500-$1500 range. It for homeowner use, mowing only, about 3/4 of an acre once a week for about 4 months a year. I was considering the Kawasaki V-Twin powered tractors. I like some of the Husqvarna models but was told to stay away from the K46. The husq fabricated decks looked cool too.

I see some of the Cub Cadets have Kawi power but K46 transaxle too.

My question is, what models shout I be looking at that have the Kawi V-Twin AND the durable transaxle.

I see mention of guys swapping k46 out for k71

Thanks in advance. I tried another forum and got little to no help there.

#5 ·
For 3/4 acre I think you want to step up to Garden Tractor range ..and you can do it in your budget....but I would be looking at a Deere, Cub, Simplicity or even an older Bolens..and you would get attachments in most cases...if it is flat land and all you are doing is mowing, a zero turn could be a better choice...good luck with your decision

#11 ·
I would say that's not really a rational reason for rejecting zero turns in general as:
-engine will cost the same, for a similar engine with a similar failure, regardless of the unit it's in
-deck, same
-hydro's vs transmission/differential unit, also not likely to be a huge difference between the two, if they fail.

With a used zero turn, it's typically hours that kill the hydro's, while with a used tractor, it can be hours or abuse from using the tractor inappropriately.

#10 ·
Theres a thread just 2 down from this one of someone stating they have a low hour k46 slipping......I don't want that risk.
If you read his post you'll see that his wasn't having any problems but he wanted to be proactive and change the fluid, so he took it apart to be able to turn the trans upside down to drain it and when he put it all back together was when t started slipping. He also mentioned later in the thread that the belt seems loose.

What kind of hills do yo have on your property? If all you want to do is mow and your land is fairly flat then I wouldn't shy away from the K46 just because of its reputation. I used a 2002 Scotts L2548 (equivalent of a JD LT170 of the same time period) with a K46 for over 7 years on 2 acres of very hilly property, and the k46 did just fine. It was the splash lubed B&S Intek V-twin that threw both rods after 7+ years and 350 hours. My neighbor put a new engine in it and the tactor ran for at least another 4 to 5 years and over 200 more hours and the transmission was still strong. I lost track of the guy he sold it to after a couple of years so it may still be going.

#12 ·
I'd stay away from Husqvarna, they apparently have numerous problems with their frame/chassis integrity regardless of model. Neighbor had to weld his back together and I'm pretty sure all he does is cut grass with it.

Cub Cadet is made by MTD, my LTX1045 had all the usual MTD problems so I can't recommend their stuff either.

I don't know enough about Simplicity or Bolens to say either way.

If you can stretch your budget then get a used diesel tractor. All of the diesels at least as far as Deere goes have good transmissions and the engine can run thousands of hours as long as you keep clean fuel in it and do your regular maintenance.

#16 ·
To be fair, your parameters are kind of limiting. One specific engine manufacturer, and there is only one model of heavy duty hydro transaxle that has been installed in GTs during the time frame that the specified engine manufacturer has been supplying engines for GTs.

That doesn't leave much room for options, and those options are big, heavy, and expensive, and their potential is rather wasted when the sole task is only mowing an acre of grass every week.

#15 ·
You might find a JD GT235 circa 2003 or so for $1500. It will have a Kawasaki twin and a K71 transaxle and a stout frame. It will also have 600+ hours.

#17 ·
I can't believe there are no go-to proven models to seek!!!
Even in the used market, most that fit your engne and transaxle criteria do not fit your budget. Even in used equipment you usually get what you pay for.

#22 ·
The K62 is a fine transaxle. It is the beginning of the ground-engaging/garden transaxles from Tuff Torq. It has a 1" axle and is serviceable. For what you described your needs to be, it would be sufficient.

#27 ·
Tudor, what your recommendation?

I have a hill with various topography that the one wheel peel axle (last rider I ran here) struggled to get up terrain. I even got hung up a couple times and had to forward/reverse my way out of it.

I definitely have no plans to tow or use implements. Just run the mower deck.

I'm kind of a power junkie (hot rodder) so I would like enough engine and the locker would be nice!

I was thinking the kawi v twin might pull up the hill a little better, might have better torque but what do I know.

#28 ·
Circumstances change with time. What you need today can quite easily be under sized for the future.

You need a K6x. Get a K7x. You won't regret it 20 years from now.

As a hot rodder, you know that engine torque is multiplied by the gear reduction to find the axle torque. Not so with a hydro. The hydraulic pressure required to turn the axle and the displacement of the hydro motor are used as well as the gear reduction. Note that engine torque does not enter the equation until engine speed is almost maxed out. Axle torque actually drops off at high travel and engine speeds.

In other words, the axle torque curve with a hydro is pretty much a flat line from just above engine idle to just below engine WOT. At engine idle, a hole shot with a hydro brings pretty much the maximum torque into the picture. Higher engine speeds just mean more tractor speed, however more available horsepower will raise the torque numbers for slight but noticeably faster acceleration.

A tractor doesn't need much horsepower to move. It's the powered implement that needs big horsepower. It takes 12 hp to power up a chassis dyno to 60 mph with a 4000 lb car. Only the largest GT hydros can deliver 12 hp to the rear axle . . . at 9 mph. The lowly K46 can only deliver 2.73 hp to the rear axle at 5.5 mph. For hydros, the hydro pump displacement and the hydraulic pressure dictate how much horsepower it can transmit.

#33 ·
There is not going to be anything in your specified price range that hasn't been worked to death. You'll need to lower your expectations or commit more dollars.

#34 ·
There are used heavy duty GTs out there in the $500-1500 range with relatively low hours, but they're 30 - 40 years old and parts availability may be questionable.

Several years ago, I picked up a MF1655 with a 54" mower deck, all in good condition with 310 hours on the clock for $650. That's the same model that I used in loader service for 22 years and had 2500 hours on the clock when I retired it. Loader service is as tough as it gets short of ploughing fields.

Here's a vid of the same model pulling a triple gang of 12" bottom plows.

#35 ·
Good hydros are one thing, there are a range of models that are at least beefier than a K46, anyways. But also needing a locking differential narrows that list considerably, and drives up cost (or drives up the hours, if cost stays the same).

I'm not saying they're the way to go. But I believe at least some of the 32xx Cub Cadets have a locking differential. You might find one of those for less than something like a "comparable" (whether or not they really are comparable) John Deere, etc.

A locking diff would have been a nice feature, but I really wasn't able to find anything in my budget (up to around $1,500) that offered that, without being kinda beat up. So I sacrificed the diff, in exchange for a machine that's in better physical condition.

Adding weight to the wheels can help with traction. You can also change to grippier tires. Of course, those would offer the same added benefits if you also had a locking diff. But if you wanted a wider range of machines to pick from, you could consider omitting the diff, and do something with the wheels/tires instead. Filling the tires with fluid is pretty cheap.

Reactions: GreenGabby
#36 ·
I would say look at a Husqvarna since you've already stated that you are not intending on using a ground engagement, just mowing.

I had to look for several months for mine on Craigslist, but I knew what I was looking for and mine had the K66, the Kawasaki FRV730 V-twin, the electronic locking differential and the pto (mower deck) engage with 40 hours on it for under 2 grand. It was in nearly perfect condition.

#37 ·
I am not sure how far you're willing to travel? I met a local repair guy that help me out tremendously with my JD 332! He has all kinds of use tractors & 20 trimmers cheap! He has I think 18 hp Simplicity tractor older model great shape $350 comes with extra deck. To bad I didn't meet him before purchasing new junk from the big box stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.