My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm wondering where all of the NH and Ariens GT owners are?
It seems to be mostly Gravely owners...that's not a bad thing of course..

I have a 1973(estimate) New Holland S16H tractor that I picked up for a song this summer, it hadn't ran in 16+ years, with a lot of cleaning and a carb rebuild it runs pretty darn good.
It came with a broken single stage snowblower that I am currently rebuilding for the upcoming snow season.

Overall I am very happy with the old girl, I'd like to see some pics on how they had the rear attachments and 3 pt connected to these tractors if anyone has any photos of that, I figure I may be able to fab something up to work for me.

Thanks for letting me ramble,

humpty

·
Registered
332 Posts
Your not alone. Ive got a GT 14 and a GT17 thats g
You've got to be kidding. Consumer Reports rates Honda's below Briggs and Stratton now. Apparently a lot of quality control issues, since they sub the manufacturing out to Keebler elves. Also better get something around the 20+ hp range to get the same performance as a 14-16 kohler. Ongoing class action lawsuit against most engine manufacturers, apparently they've been lying about the horse power rating on these newer engines, ya think. The new Kohler Command is heads and shoulders above the Honda, you'll find that out soon enough. I understand putting Allis and simplicity together, but not Ariens and Gravely, they might be the same tractor now, but WAAY different back in the day when they built them tough and they weren't for sale in front of a box store

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I agree the Ariens/NH forum should be separate from the Gravely I have both brands but they had very little in common until lately.Also I do have a collection of New Holland and Ariens garden tractors 3 NH and just picked up my 30th Ariens yesterday a Grand Sierra been stuck on 29 for awhile so it was good to get over the hump(LOL)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't Ariens make a tractor for Gravely as well as NH?

just picked up my 30th Ariens yesterday
Seriously? Dude that's a lot of Ariens! :trink40:

Somewhere on here some had picked up a mid-90's Ariens GT, I was amazed in looking at the photos at how little had changed from my old 73 NH.

Has anyone had much luck finding the attachments that fit our tractors?
I only have the deck and the 4' blower, I'd like to have a tiller and a blade at least, I'd maybe like to build a FEL sometime as well.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Ariens has owned Gravely since 1982. Gravely Lawn Tractors in the 1100, 1200, 7173-H, and 18-H are rebadged Ariens units with different hoods and such.

·
Registered
191 Posts
billg, As my handle implies you work with what you got. My Honda is an older model, BTW, 20 h.p. I've got plenty of Kohlers,and a few Onans in the Pullers. I,m not exactly the new kid on the block with this stuff.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
I agree the Ariens/NH forum should be separate from the Gravely I have both brands but they had very little in common until lately.Also I do have a collection of New Holland and Ariens garden tractors 3 NH and just picked up my 30th Ariens yesterday a Grand Sierra been stuck on 29 for awhile so it was good to get over the hump(LOL)
Wow! That's a lot of tractors! So I should let you know if I ever come across an Ariens?

·
Registered
332 Posts
billg, As my handle implies you work with what you got. My Honda is an older model, BTW, 20 h.p. I've got plenty of Kohlers,and a few Onans in the Pullers. I,m not exactly the new kid on the block with this stuff.
didn't mean any disrespect, I've seen a lot of Hondas going to the shop for major problems lately, but as cheap as Kohlers are to buy and rebuild, I like them better, especially as they will outlast anything built today, I mean most of those old Kohlers went 25 years and had thousands of hours, before needing rebuilt and when they did you COULD rebuild them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason nobody else has one is that Gary has them all ....., however I have managed to get one for myself .
Evidently so...the one you have looks nice, is it a 14? Pic is small can't quite tell. Is that a blade bracket on the front?

They all look a like don't they? ;-)

humpty

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You've got to be kidding. Consumer Reports rates Honda's below Briggs and Stratton now. Apparently a lot of quality control issues, since they sub the manufacturing out to Keebler elves. Also better get something around the 20+ hp range to get the same performance as a 14-16 kohler. Ongoing class action lawsuit against most engine manufacturers, apparently they've been lying about the horse power rating on these newer engines, ya think. The new Kohler Command is heads and shoulders above the Honda, you'll find that out soon enough. I understand putting Allis and simplicity together, but not Ariens and Gravely, they might be the same tractor now, but WAAY different back in the day when they built them tough and they weren't for sale in front of a box store
So, you have never had any experience with Honda units and just listen to Consumer Reports? Get off your soap box.

I'm not really a fan of the Ariens I got, as it has given my grandfather problem since he bought it new, but I got it free so I cant complain that much. Anybody got front PTO parts and a snowblower for one?

·
Registered
332 Posts
So, you have never had any experience with Honda units and just listen to Consumer Reports? Get off your soap box.

I'm not really a fan of the Ariens I got, as it has given my grandfather problem since he bought it new, but I got it free so I cant complain that much. Anybody got front PTO parts and a snowblower for one?
My Brother owns a very large small engine repair shop in Illinois, the info from CR came by accident. I'm not a fan of many mowers built after 1990, the Ariens in particular is a huge piece of crap now, just a little more overpriced piece of crap. What model Ariens do you have and what parts do you need?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Humpty . Mine is a S-12 , aside from the sloppy steering it's a GREAT machine and yes that is a blade attachment on the front . Mike

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
ARCAM I'm always looking for Ariens and NH garden tractors and am looking for any of the larger garden tractors with hydros and hydraulics.Have a few different other brands in my collection including Simplicity,AC,Massey,Craftsman FF,Bush Hog,Snapper,MTD.Honda,Ford,Case,Bolens,Jacobsen,White,Yard Man,Wards,Gravely,JD and as far as I'm concerned the Ariens/NH garden tractors are as well built as any.The really nice thing about them is almost all have the rear lift arms that make putting a 3pt on them really easy and they handle and steer real well too.Four of my Ariens have Power Steering but isn't a big advantage unless I have the snowblower on the tractor than it really makes a difference.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
My Brother owns a very large small engine repair shop in Illinois, the info from CR came by accident. I'm not a fan of many mowers built after 1990, the Ariens in particular is a huge piece of crap now, just a little more overpriced piece of crap. What model Ariens do you have and what parts do you need?
The new ones you can get at the big box stores are not even built by Ariens. The new ones are built by Husky.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The new ones you can get at the big box stores are not even built by Ariens. The new ones are built by Husky.
According to the Ariens company history I just read, Ariens makes the Husky tractor. It is still a cheesy machine however.

"The company embraced the Internet in the late 1990s, selling a few of its top models on-line beginning in 1999. By the late 1990s, Ariens was manufacturing not only its own line, but putting out mowers under the brand names Scotts and Husquvarna."

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts