My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 3000lb HF winch and would like to mount it to raise & lower the sleeve hitch. I have a MTD 840 garden tractor and would like to mount it on my back fender. I'll be attaching a modified to sleeve hitch light weight 3pt forks. I want to carry 160lbs of weights and / or a utility box down low to give more traction when I need it. Should the back fender be strong enough for the winch mount?

Harris

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
you didn't say what kind of tractor, but the answer in my opinion is no! But post a picture of your fender.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If mounting it on the fender is not a good idea, can anyone give me an idea of where to mount it. I have a MTD 840 gt.

Harris

·
26,679 Posts
behind the seat on the main frame, don't know if there is room, but a picture would help.:fing32:

·
26,679 Posts
Sorry, maybe you have a one piece pan that has both fenders and the seat on it all in one. In that case I don't have a clue? I would still want to mount it some how to the frame. :sorry1:

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
:wwp: that would help so much. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Without pictures, it is a guess, but I'd say no, a fender is not a good place to support 160#.
Now, if you made a little steel frame that mounted to the same place your seat mounts do, you could carry that load on whatever holds your butt up.

·
Banned
465 Posts
I just bought a 3000lb HF winch and would like to mount it to raise & lower the sleeve hitch. I have a MTD 840 garden tractor and would like to mount it on my back fender. I'll be attaching a modified to sleeve hitch light weight 3pt forks. I want to carry 160lbs of weights and / or a utility box down low to give more traction when I need it. Should the back fender be strong enough for the winch mount?

Harris
Initially, I mounted my winch at the top of sleeve hitch mounting plate. I have since added another 8" so I could mount it higher. This is where you would need to mount your winch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts