My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to relay this experance little experance I had today with you guys. I went by this little lawn mower shop today that has been on this corner in town for years. I was loooking for a couple of screws for the choke butter fly on my 1200 cub. I was thinking that this should be a very simple little thing. I had gone to lowes and found some #4-40 brass pan head screws yesterday the smallest that thay had. Come to find out last night when I got home that the #4-40 was too big. I need a #3-48. Boy that is small and the class of fit is very tight so thay will not loosen up with vibration. I boke one off removing it. :banghead3 Ok I was pulling in to the parking lot of the lawn mower shop and I see a friend I know that mowes lawns for a living. He goes to the counter and tells them he called and ordered a drive belt for a xyz mower and was told it would be in Tuesday. The guy asked him his name and such to he could find it, no luck. Asked if it might be under another name he told him that no luck. The other guy at sitting at the counter asked what I needed. I showed him the choke pivit rod with one screw in it. Told him that it was off a k301 Kolar motor. He looks a his computer a few seconds, then goes asked the old man that is trying to help my friend. The old man say I will need the ID off the motor to find any parts, I think you will has to buy the whole carb!!!!!:swow: NO THANKS!!!!!Thank you for your time, but I think I will look some more. I know that a new cab if you can get one would be well over a $100.00 I went to a little bolt & screw supply house down the road. Walked in and said I hate to ask this, but do you have any #3-48 brass screws. Well thay said that the brass would be a problem, but thay had some socket head steal ones. Showed me what he had, and asked if I wonted them how may do you need. I told him 6 because thay where I little too long & I would have to cut them down some. I ask how much he says for 6 a buck, and boxes them up for me and says have a good weekend & I hope thay work for you. Now thats is service!!! Here is the thing. Was I asking to much of the guy at the lawn mower shop? I was thinking as hard as these are to get out that It should not be to hard to find. Am I out of line with this or what.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No, I think you'r right on. The mower shop should have at least tried, but that's what you get a lot any more, most "help" is "working" there for a paycheck, & don't really give a rat's rear end about having to actually do something.

·
Administrator
17,253 Posts
bronco65;736223 I went by this little lawn mower shop today that has been on this corner in town for years. I was loooking for a couple of screws for the choke butter fly on my 1200 cub. I was thinking that this should be a very simple little thing. I had gone to lowes ...[/QUOTE said:
OK, I think we can all agree that service isn't what it once was. But, just for the sake of argument, the first place you went was Lowes, rather than "this little shop that had been there for years." Bet it was the first time you had ever been in there.
If we like the idea of service, then we have got to support the small independent businessman. I'd rather pay a bit more to know that they are still in business.
Many of the small shops I deal with will go out of their way to help you with your problem.I think Alan Jackson says it best in his song "Little Man"
Punch it up on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lj6PMv68Ho

I remember walkin round the court square sidewalks
Lookin in the windows at things I couldn't want
There's Johnson's Hardware and Morgan's Jewelry
And the ol' Lee King's Apothecary
They were the little man
The little man

I go back now and the stores are empty
Except an old Coke sign dated 1950
Boarded up like they never existed
Or renovated and called historic districts
There goes the little man
There goes the little man

Now the court square's just a set of streets
That people go around but they seldom think
'Bout the little man who built this town
Before the big money shut 'em down
And killed the little
Oh the little man

He pumped your gas and he cleaned your glass
One cold rainy night he fixed your flat
New store came where you do it yourself
You buy lotto ticket and food off the shelf
Forget the little man
Forget about that little man

Sorry about the rant and not picking on anyone, but this is why everyone lines up against the WalMarts of the world when they start to set up on the edge of town.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I would like to relay this experance little experance I had today with you guys. I went by this little lawn mower shop today that has been on this corner in town for years. I was loooking for a couple of screws for the choke butter fly on my 1200 cub. I was thinking that this should be a very simple little thing. I had gone to lowes and found some #4-40 brass pan head screws yesterday the smallest that thay had. Come to find out last night when I got home that the #4-40 was too big. I need a #3-48. Boy that is small and the class of fit is very tight so thay will not loosen up with vibration. I boke one off removing it. :banghead3 Ok I was pulling in to the parking lot of the lawn mower shop and I see a friend I know that mowes lawns for a living. He goes to the counter and tells them he called and ordered a drive belt for a xyz mower and was told it would be in Tuesday. The guy asked him his name and such to he could find it, no luck. Asked if it might be under another name he told him that no luck. The other guy at sitting at the counter asked what I needed. I showed him the choke pivit rod with one screw in it. Told him that it was off a k301 Kolar motor. He looks a his computer a few seconds, then goes asked the old man that is trying to help my friend. The old man say I will need the ID off the motor to find any parts, I think you will has to buy the whole carb!!!!!:swow: NO THANKS!!!!!Thank you for your time, but I think I will look some more. I know that a new cab if you can get one would be well over a $100.00 I went to a little bolt & screw supply house down the road. Walked in and said I hate to ask this, but do you have any #3-48 brass screws. Well thay said that the brass would be a problem, but thay had some socket head steal ones. Showed me what he had, and asked if I wonted them how may do you need. I told him 6 because thay where I little too long & I would have to cut them down some. I ask how much he says for 6 a buck, and boxes them up for me and says have a good weekend & I hope thay work for you. Now thats is service!!! Here is the thing. Was I asking to much of the guy at the lawn mower shop? I was thinking as hard as these are to get out that It should not be to hard to find. Am I out of line with this or what.

when your looking for hardware the best place to go is ...... the hardware store.
i understand the little mower shop ... people come in where i work looking for hardware, fuses, gaskets, little plumbing bs.... ANYTHING you can think of
and they think we should have it in stock and be able to hand it to them in 10 seconds... which doesnt happen with these "MISC" parts ... they need to be looked up/researched ... sometimes multiple phone calls ... etc
by the time you hand the customer his 1$ part you've lost way more money..:hide:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand better than anyone about the "BIG BOX STORES" putting the "little man" out. I just closed my faimly Buissnes after being in the same location for 37 years. I know about the time it takes to look things up & find them. If some one came into my store I would look for a part if I thought I had something. I have spent 20-30 min. looking up & finding a 5$ part. Now I lost more that the 5$, but I would hope that person would come back when thay needed something bigger. If I didn't have something I would tell them where thay might find it. The only reason I went to Lowes is thay have a very well organized section screws and such. My point is The guy didn't try or say "You might find that over a XYZ's place" Just my 2 cents

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I have to agree with defcondaze. If a part isn't readily identifiable and cataloged, it's hard to find.

I was at the JD dealer not long ago, and someone was looking for an O-ring for a piece of equipment that was not in the catalog. The customer (with 4 more customers in line behind him) expected the parts guy to go eyeball every O-ring he had in stock to find a close enough match.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I understand better than anyone about the "BIG BOX STORES" putting the "little man" out. I just closed my faimly Buissnes after being in the same location for 37 years. I know about the time it takes to look things up & find them. If some one came into my store I would look for a part if I thought I had something. I have spent 20-30 min. looking up & finding a 5$ part. Now I lost more that the 5$, but I would hope that person would come back when thay needed something bigger. If I didn't have something I would tell them where thay might find it. The only reason I went to Lowes is thay have a very well organized section screws and such. My point is The guy didn't try or say "You might find that over a XYZ's place" Just my 2 cents
some what the same here ... im not the owner, but HE will look for stuff like that if he THINKS he has it. but he is the only one who knows where it may be located and now hes usually busy with other customers at the time.
so all i can do is say try xyz place ...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I know we preach and long for "Mom and Pop" shops, but unfortunately today's market calls for big box or online/mail order. That's where the money goes. Dealers can't afford to stock parts anymore, making it wise to shop online first. That's basically all a dealer is going to do for you.

Joel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I was just sharing my what had happened. I was a little miffed and letting off steam. Life is to short to let things like that bother you.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have spent 20-30 min. looking up & finding a 5$ part. Now I lost more that the 5$, but I would hope that person would come back when thay needed something bigger.
And welcome to the way of thinking that has made Home Depot so successful.

I don't care if you're buying an $800 tablesaw or a 3 cent screw, business is business.

Besides, the 3 cent screw has a higher margin.

On the other hand, I don't think it's too much to ask that a customer looking for a part for his ridgid thickness planer looks up the part number in his manual before coming in.

And here's a thought for anyone in the business of looking up part numbers. I can find it 10 times faster on the internet than through a manufacturer's catalogue.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It isn't the Home Depot or Lowes that has put the Little Guy out... It is the people who shop there that have put the Little Guy out.

I prefer to shop at the locally owned small businesses in my area. Sometimes I have to stop at several places to fill my shopping list because the appliance store doesn't carry wall paint and the paint store doesn’t carry pipe fittings. Sometimes the little guy doesn't have the larger ticket items in stock, because they can't afford to keep a million dollars worth of inventory on hand, and I have to wait a couple of days for it. BUT the people who work there aren't just people who work there... They are friends, family and neighbors, they support their families and send their kids to college by running that little guy business, they also support and care about their community, they also have that 3 cent brass screw that you can't find at Lowes.

When the people who shop at Lowes run the little guy out of business, then the little guys have to go to Lowes for employment. Well they can’t pay their bills on a Lowes salary, so they work at Lowes during the day and the Quick Trip in the evening, and their kids have to get a gazillion dollars worth of student loans to go to college on, so the kids can start their adult lives out so far in debt that their own kids are grown and raised before they can ever see daylight.

Does anyone really expect to be able to buy your big ticket items at the local "fast food hardware store", yet still expect the little guy to be able to spend the time needed to hunt down a handful of 3 cent screws??? If you want to be able to buy 3 cent screws, then support the guy who sells them to you, and don't support the conglomerate who doesn't!

So why didn't you go to your locally owned and operated Cub Cadet dealer to get the screws for your 1200?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did go and get the cab kit from my cub dealer before I toke it all apart. I am a self employed service tech. & I was just going my this shop. The cub dealer is on the other side of town. I realy didn't think it was going to be a hard part to find.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It isn't the Home Depot or Lowes that has put the Little Guy out... It is the people who shop there that have put the Little Guy out.

I prefer to shop at the locally owned small businesses in my area. Sometimes I have to stop at several places to fill my shopping list because the appliance store doesn't carry wall paint and the paint store doesn’t carry pipe fittings. Sometimes the little guy doesn't have the larger ticket items in stock, because they can't afford to keep a million dollars worth of inventory on hand, and I have to wait a couple of days for it. BUT the people who work there aren't just people who work there... They are friends, family and neighbors, they support their families and send their kids to college by running that little guy business, they also support and care about their community, they also have that 3 cent brass screw that you can't find at Lowes.

When the people who shop at Lowes run the little guy out of business, then the little guys have to go to Lowes for employment. Well they can’t pay their bills on a Lowes salary, so they work at Lowes during the day and the Quick Trip in the evening, and their kids have to get a gazillion dollars worth of student loans to go to college on, so the kids can start their adult lives out so far in debt that their own kids are grown and raised before they can ever see daylight.

Does anyone really expect to be able to buy your big ticket items at the local "fast food hardware store", yet still expect the little guy to be able to spend the time needed to hunt down a handful of 3 cent screws??? If you want to be able to buy 3 cent screws, then support the guy who sells them to you, and don't support the conglomerate who doesn't!

So why didn't you go to your locally owned and operated Cub Cadet dealer to get the screws for your 1200?
Just remember that at one time Lowes/Home Depot WAS a little guy - small local shops that made it big (same for Wal-Mart). While I am all in favor of shopping at the little guy I also have a budget - if i can get it cheaper at X (be it a big box or local) that is where I am going to buy it. I am not going to spend 1.5x more on something just to keep the corner shop in business. Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts