My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent this evening looking through the MTD forum for some infomaithion (manuals). I dont think owners manuals will be much help, unless the show the fastest way to pull the engine.

Have a broken connecting rod or worse!

This is a Murray mower with 18.5 HP Briggs. I would like to find a Briggs manual, but I know they are scarce.

So I am needing a rebuild book with spec.s for a briggs :

Mod 31N707
type 0233E1
code 0404262E

(or a single cylinder 18.5 hp ohv engine)

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Grey, get on Ebay and you will find a Briggs & Stratton interactive repair manual cd-rom for only 5.99 or something like that. It contains all the info you need. I have it and its awesome. Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the Murray forum too.
Pulling the engine from your machine is no problem. Disconnect the battery cables from the battery and remove the wire from the starter. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, be careful because gas will run right out of it (gravity feed). Disconnect the charge wire and ground wire from the engine. Disconnect the throttle cable from the governor. Remove the belts, then remove the engine pulley. It has a big bolt on the bottom that needs to come off. While you're under there remove the four bolts that secure the engine to the tractor. Now your engine is ready to come out.
I'm a Murray man myself so holler if I can advise you on anything.:fing32:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
I have a question:
The engine wont turn very far,10-15 degrees. I have the head off and the piston does not move. I assume conecting rod broke.
Will it be necessary to remove the engine from the frame at this point? Is that the standard operating proceedure?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thank you.
I have a question:
The engine wont turn very far,10-15 degrees. I have the head off and the piston does not move. I assume conecting rod broke.
Will it be necessary to remove the engine from the frame at this point? Is that the standard operating proceedure?

If the pistons not moving,you probably have a broken rod,the engine will need to come out,you get into the crankcase by removing the lower cover on the engine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is where you can download all the manuals/parts diagrams for the engine.

Here is a handy PDF. you can download, it will tell you anything you need to know about a briggs engine as long as you have the model type and code.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts