My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My 165 did the exact same thing as your F525 is doing and it was the charging system.

Go spend the money on a cheap volt meter. It’s cheaper than 2 hours of your time imo.
Thanks guys for everything. It’s nice to have a place to go and bounce questions off others. I’m a home inspector by profession. I know houses and construction...I DONT know motors or lawn mowers. I appreciate all the responses.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Chilly, rather than possibly wearing battery down (when mower stops) just try mower, then shut off and drive around. Or as JD-285 mentioned, check battery voltage with meter, WOT pto off, WOT pto on. You should get around 14 volts in either case. Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2 Cents.

You could have a charging system problem or you could have a PTO power consumption problem. The symptoms would be the same.

The bottom line is that your tractor charging system is delivering less current (amps) than the electricals are consuming. So eventually the battery is discharged. (Connecting the jump box confirms this)

The question is what changed (failed)? Is the charging system failing and providing less current that it should, or is your PTO coil bad consuming more than it should.

A voltage reading will only confirm that either of the above is true, but it won't tell you which one is the cause.

1) A bad alternator could cause this. Taking it off and having it checked under load at a car parts place is the best way to diagnose it.
a) If it is due to worn brushes, and they are externally accessible and serviceable, it would be a cheap fix.
b) A bad regulator could be the cause too. If part of the alternator and serviceable, it may also be easy to fix
c) Otherwise, the windings may be bad. In which case replace the alternator.

2) A bad PTO solenoid should be easy to diagnose with a multimeter, if you have the spec for the solenoid. Unplug it from the harness and measure the resistance across the terminals. If it is significantly below spec, then it may need replaced.

My money is on the alternator (Charging system), but it can be either one.

- Luis

21 - 23 of 23 Posts