My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm a new user. Having problems with a JD F525 and looking where to ask questions. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
27,389 Posts
You can do it here or if it is unique to zero turns then probably in the forum for zero turns:

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Throw it on here. There’s a lot more activity on this forum. I’ve messed with a few. They are pretty close to a LX series of that year.

·
Parts collector
3,082 Posts
WELCOME!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throw it on here. There’s a lot more activity on this forum. I’ve messed with a few. They are pretty close to a LX series of that year.
Well I’ve only used the mower to mow my yard which typically takes me about an hour. However, I’ve recently started mowing our church’s lot as well which is much larger. After a couple
Of hours my blades shut off. I’ve determined the blades are pulling power straight from the battery and once the juice is gone...so are they. Is this typical? I figured the alternator would power those as well?

·
Registered
140 Posts
No, that is not typical. I don't have a F525, but the battery charging circuit should be what is providing power. Does the engine keep running? Do the blades start if you turn them off and back on? Is the battery dead?

Some of the models have a reverse lockout which will stop the blades if you reverse the mower. Maybe the switch/sensor is bad or the wire is loose.

·
Super Moderator
27,389 Posts
Sounds like the Voltage Regulator isn't returning sufficient power to the battery to keep it charged while the engine is running. Normally most charging systems should return about 13.5 to 14.5 volts which can be checked with a meter at the battery with the engine running Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

·
Administrator
5,129 Posts
Is the battery dead when the blades shut off? Like said, is the engine still running and will start if shut off?
If the battery is not dead, it is charging...There is another problem. Loose connction on a wire or something?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is impossible for the the mower (I assume you mean the PTO) to be fed directly from the battery and not from the alternator/charging circuit. If the charging circuit is working, the battery/alternator are tied together and act as one entity.

To make sure we're chasing the right goose, you need to check the voltage off/running. Off will be somewhere around 12V. Running should be 13.5-14.5V. If that is not the case, then you have a charging circuit issue.

If the charging circuit is working, then I suspect you have a PTO issue. Either something is electrically dropping out the PTO or the PTO is marginal - barely working when cold, not working when things heat up.

Determine whether it is a charging issue or a PTO issue and we can guide you better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, that is not typical. I don't have a F525, but the battery charging circuit should be what is providing power. Does the engine keep running? Do the blades start if you turn them off and back on? Is the battery dead?

Some of the models have a reverse lockout which will stop the blades if you reverse the mower. Maybe the switch/sensor is bad or the wire is loose.
No the motor keeps running even when the battery goes dead. This actually happened 3 times before I realized exactly what was happening. This last time I kept the mower running and hooked up jumper cables to my truck. I turned the blades on and they fired right up. As soon as I disconnected the battery cables the blades turned off. I don’t understand how the charging system keeps the motor running, but not the blades.
When the pto shuts off while mowing is there power at the pto?
ok I have to show my ignorance and ask...what is the PTO?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
The engine ignition system is independent from charging system.

Check charging system with volt meter and report back.

pto is the power take off. Aka the belt hooks to it that other end of this belt hooks to deck double pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I will start there. I can say that with certainty there is no power there when they shut off during mowing. It doesn’t even try to engage. But if I hook up an additional power supply I.e. jumper cables to my truck, they turn right on and then right back off when I disconnect the cables. It does not appear to be pulling power from whatever circuit is supplying the motor while running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is impossible for the the mower (I assume you mean the PTO) to be fed directly from the battery and not from the alternator/charging circuit. If the charging circuit is working, the battery/alternator are tied together and act as one entity.

To make sure we're chasing the right goose, you need to check the voltage off/running. Off will be somewhere around 12V. Running should be 13.5-14.5V. If that is not the case, then you have a charging circuit issue.

If the charging circuit is working, then I suspect you have a PTO issue. Either something is electrically dropping out the PTO or the PTO is marginal - barely working when cold, not working when things heat up.

Determine whether it is a charging issue or a PTO issue and we can guide you better
Thanks for the response. I truly believe it’s a charging issue and not a PTO issue. My battery was fully charged the night before and completely drained while mowing. I’ve even taken the battery in to be checked and they said it’s fine. Not sure if you saw my other reply...but when the blades shut off, my battery is dead. If I turn off my mower I can’t start it back. So yesterday when the blades shut off I drove over to my truck, attached my jumper cables and the PTO worked just fine and engaged the blades. As soon as I did connected the jumper cables the blades stopped running. The PTO works just fine as long as it has power. So I think charging issue, just not sure where to start. It’s an old mower and still cuts beautifully...just not sure if the cost of this repair, if I have to take it in, is worth the cost of the mower lol.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Most likely NOT a charging system problem !!! Pto coil is going bad and drawing too much power...more power than charging system and battery combined can supply.

As a check/verification it's your pto: You stated when mowing the church yard, after a couple of hours the blades stop. Start tractor & warm, engage pto & deck. Then turn pto/deck off and drive tractor around for 2 (a couple of) hours. Try pto & deck again. If battery isn't drained, it's not the charging system and if battery is drained, it's not the pto !!! Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most likely NOT a charging system problem !!! Pto coil is going bad and drawing too much power...more power than charging system and battery combined can supply.

As a check/verification it's your pto: You stated when mowing the church yard, after a couple of hours the blades stop. Start tractor & warm, engage pto & deck. Then turn pto/deck off and drive tractor around for 2 (a couple of) hours. Try pto & deck again. If battery isn't drained, it's not the charging system and if battery is drained, it's not the pto !!! Bob
Thanks bob. The great idea. Just to verify....when the blades shut of, drive the mower around a few hours to determine if the charging system charges the battery back up!! Thanks!! That is something my simple mind can accomplish!!

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
My 165 did the exact same thing as your F525 is doing and it was the charging system.

Go spend the money on a cheap volt meter. It’s cheaper than 2 hours of your time imo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts