My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The other set of wheels that are claimed to be genuine Toro 63-8400 wheels arrived today.

They look almost identical to the ones that failed, but hopefully were constructed differently.

The only difference I noticed was that the "Toro Wheels" have a small dimple on each side of the axle flange area. The wheels that failed(and I returned) did not have the dimples.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The genuine Toro 63-8400 Wheels that I got seem to be working well.

I may need to get another set in the fairly near future. Has anyone found a good deal on these? If so, where? Link?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the link.

I don't suppose you have used this brand/model? If so, please advise how it is doing.

My experience with the other brand that I bought, has me leery of trying something without someone recommending them.

I searched "Martin Wheel ZP625-T" and found this: Martin Wheel ZP625T N 6 1/4X300 250 RIB - Jacks Small Engines

Jack's has a pretty good reputation so hopefully they would only sell a product that they have found to work well but...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have some on my 3165 for two years now they seem to be working fine not much wear. If I remember right the spacing needed some washers

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have some on my 3165 for two years now they seem to be working fine not much wear. If I remember right the spacing needed some washers
Joe, just to confirm, you have been using the "Martin Wheel ZP625-T" for 2 years?

If so, that is a long enough of a time that I would expect that any major defects would have surfaced by now.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
This may not have anything to do with finding a castor wheel, but it's good info.
Found my 2 front Fabricated deck wheels loose. The back deck wheels are still tight so I removed the front deck wheel and found the bushings worn out. Luckily I had some bushing stock in my barn so I cut new wheel bushings. I grease the wheels constantly but the grease doesn't help. They need bearing in these wheels instead of bushings for bearings. Here some pics. Oh and there wasn't a washer between the wheel bushing and the deck wheel ears so here a pic of the wear on the wheel ears.
This is something you might want to check on your Cub and put a washer between the deck ears and the wheel bushing.
The 2nd pic shows the worn bushing and the new one I made to replace it.
20200327_085035.jpg
20200327_085022.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
This may not have anything to do with finding a castor wheel, but it's good info.
Found my 2 front Fabricated deck wheels loose. The back deck wheels are still tight so I removed the front deck wheel and found the bushings worn out. Luckily I had some bushing stock in my barn so I cut new wheel bushings. I grease the wheels constantly but the grease doesn't help. They need bearing in these wheels instead of bushings for bearings. Here some pics. Oh and there wasn't a washer between the wheel bushing and the deck wheel ears so here a pic of the wear on the wheel ears.
This is something you might want to check on your Cub and put a washer between the deck ears and the wheel bushing.
View attachment 2449984 View attachment 2449985
Dang Don, I figured that was one of those parts that wouldn't show any wear if kept greased well.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Dang Don, I figured that was one of those parts that wouldn't show any wear if kept greased well.
Me and you both but both of my front deck wheel bushing where worn out. The back 2 wheels are fine since the back of the deck rides higher than the front. Little over 200 hrs on my Cub and grease the deck spindles, wheels. Steering components and deck wheels about every 5 to 8 hrs of mowing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
View attachment 2449984 View attachment 2449985
I agree that it is good info! I have replaced some bushings that looked very much like that. Most had a lot of hours on them but, some with fairly low hours were also worn. They will wear even if greased frequently, but the grease does extend the life of them. IIRC the Owners Manual says to grease every 10 hours and I would bet that some of the POs used an interval closer to 100 hours, instead of 10.

One of the things I have noticed about the non OEM Castor Wheels is that the the bearing area is not as wide as on the OEM Wheels so there is lots of area to install washers.

Where do you buy bushing stock? I have bought OEM bushings, but would consider making my own if I could save some money.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Something just occurred to me about that bushing stock. Maybe it would help to grind a spiral grease groove in it to ensure the lube travels end to end on the bushing.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The bushings stock I had came from Derlin bushing kits I use on my a-arm assemblies on my Canam buggys. The stock just happened to be the same size. I'm sure the bushing stock can be found and abtained easy enough. A CNC shop could lead you in the right direction to get some if you can't find any.
Randy a few hole can be drilled into the stock so grease can penetrate to the bolt inside the bushing. When I greased it the grease squirted out both sides of the wheel. I'm sure in 150 to 200 more hrs the bushings will be worn out again. That means by the end of this year for me. LOL

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was at the McMaster-Carr website as you were posting the replies. The last time I bought some OEM bushings, I paid approx. $10 each for them. I just did quick search and see they are almost $20 each now, so $60.00 for a lifetime supply does not sound too bad.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I also use the M/C bushings for the spindles.

or

Thicker flanges than OEM, but IMO this is a benefit.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I just ordered 3' of 4130 alloy cold rolled steel bushing stock hardened to Rockwell C49 70,000# cost $35 not counting tax or shipping and I won't know that till it ships Monday. 3' should last me a few years maybe cause looks like I'll need to replace these every year or ever 150 to 200 hrs of use. My Cub engine stays hot with all my mowing I do. I feel like a land scaper except I'm just mowing my place every 4 to 5 days at a rate of 6 to 8 acres at a time. My 60" fab deck is awsome. Right now I need to make 3 more wheel bushings and replace the 8" piece I cut for one of my deck wheels. Cheaper than buying a new wheel that only needs a new bushing.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Got the 3 feet of bushing stock yesterday. It was $49 with tax and shipping from McMaster-Carr. You might could find it cheaper but this bushing stock also is certified with a certificate so I'm sure it can be had cheaper uncertified
20200402_122738.jpg

21 - 39 of 39 Posts