My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cub Cadet 5252 with a FEL. I bumped one of the hoses while moving some brush and it started to leak.

It turned out that there had been an improper fitting installed by PO (or the factory) and when it got bumped, it leaked.

I replaced the incorrect fitting, got things sealed back up, and got things operating again, but it seems like there is "some play in the system" when I go from dumping to back dragging, that was not there before the fitting was replaced.

Do I need to bleed the system, and if so, how?

·
4,139 Posts
When it leaked ...did you lose much fluid?...the level may be low...as Poncho said...just using it a little will clear the system...also ..it sounds like a nice little tractor...any pictures?

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
Did you use thread sealant on the threads and if so what did you use?

·
21,705 Posts
Did you use thread sealant on the threads and if so what did you use?
National pipe taper (NPT) threads require a sealant for the threads because the threads interfere with each other to seal the system and a lubricant is needed to ensure the proper interference without galling the threads. Teflon tape is not recommended for use on hydraulic NPT fittings. It has a tendency to shred and any bits that get into the system can play havoc with the small orifices that sense pressure changes.

Most fittings are JIC 37° that have straight bolt threads and seal via metal to metal contact of the 37° taper on the nose of the male fitting. Thread sealant on these fittings is more for keeping potential corrosion from water ingress from seizing the threads. By and large, most are assembled "dry", as in no sealant required.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

No pictures. The FEL is very handy, but this model of tractor has a very poor reputation for durability.

IIRC, I did not apply any sealant, but I am certain I did not apply teflon tape.

The fluid level is full.

I have used it a lot over the past few days so if just running it through full travel a few times is all it needed, that happened a few hundred cycles ago.

In addition to the play when going from dump, directly to back dragging, it also does not seem to hit the full dump stops as hard as it used to when I hit them to try to shake remnants out of the bucket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts