My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When a Lawn tractor has no deck is it no longer a mower? If so it would have no mandated mower kill switches required, such as reverse lockout or engagement.

The reason I ask is because threads are being removed by over zealous mods that don't understand what safety switches are for.

I do understand it would be an ILLEGAL activity to do this to a mower.

·
Banned
2 Posts
well i see there point we are not allowed to tell anyone to remove them and its not safe to do so its a safety issue ...I understand what you are saying tho as i have a few tractors that i removed the decks so i can use them as a pulling tractor at the shop /house .... just leave the rest of the safety's hooked up

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
When a Lawn tractor has no deck is it no longer a mower? If so it would have no mandated mower kill switches required, such as reverse lockout or engagement.

The reason I ask is because threads are being removed by over zealous mods that don't understand what safety switches are for.

I do understand it would be an ILLEGAL activity to do this to a mower.
Any discussion and "How To's" in regards to Safety Switches will be removed by the Moderating Staff.

It does not matter what the intended use of the tractor will be as it can be applied to all.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,734 Posts
Just because the mower deck was removed does not remove the danger of backing up over a little kid in the lawn. But with the mower deck removed, there would be no need to run the PTO, so I would think your machine would run fine forward or in reverse with the PTO off, but I am not familiar with your specific tractor. In any event, we will not allow discussions of removing safety equipment from machines. I personally know of 5 people that were either killed or horribly injured in accidents that had the proper safety equipment been there, no serious injuries would have resulted, and thank goodness I was not involved in any of the accidents.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
This is when a mower stops being a mower. I built this one for one of my neighbors.

1983 317
The only engine we could come up with was a K582 Kohler (23 hp)
(I had to widen the frame about 14 inches in the front to make it fit)
Custom 3 point hitch using craftsman ss12 3 point arms
custom front blade.

:greendr:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,900 Posts
I have a couple older craftsmans, all the safety's are in place. Both will allow reverse cutting. You have to be seated to enguage the PTO, and the clutch has to be depressed to start. Both are welcome safeties with a 5 YO grandson that always "Wants to help"

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts

Keith,
and anyone else that feels compelled to discuss bypassing factory safety switches,

What don't you understand?

What anyone does to their equipment, including removing or bypassing safety switches is strictly their own decision. MTF and the moderators are powerless to stop any member from doing so...and I believe we wouldn't if we could. If it serves a purpose and the equipment owner does it to improve his/her performance or enhance it's operation, so much the better!

However, discussing, recommending or providing diagrams for anyone to do so is, obviously reckless and an invitation for disaster. It only takes one person to misunderstand what it's for, remove it and severely hurt themselves or someone else in the process. And that is why the rule is here, and strongly enforced.

Shoot, we're so laid back here about rules compared to other forums how is it considered to be over zealous enforcing a rule that has the potential to hurt or kill someone or avoid a law suit from someone that exploits the dangers he didn't understand (?)

You folks are not suggesting that you can't use email, PM's or talk to each other on the phone are you?

Mark

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Keith,
and anyone else that feels compelled to discuss bypassing factory safety switches,

What don't you understand?

What anyone does to their equipment, including removing or bypassing safety switches is strictly their own decision. MTF and the moderators are powerless to stop any member from doing so...and I believe we wouldn't if we could. If it serves a purpose and the equipment owner does it to improve his/her performance or enhance it's operation, so much the better!

However, discussing, recommending or providing diagrams for anyone to do so is, obviously reckless and an invitation for disaster. It only takes one person to misunderstand what it's for, remove it and severely hurt themselves or someone else in the process. And that is why the rule is here, and strongly enforced.

Shoot, we're so laid back here about rules compared to other forums how is it considered to be over zealous enforcing a rule that has the potential to hurt or kill someone or avoid a law suit from someone that exploits the dangers he didn't understand (?)

You folks are not suggesting that you can't use email, PM's or talk to each other on the phone are you?

Mark
:congrats:

·
Citizen of Earth
15,734 Posts
Closed for discussion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.