My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sharpened my Gator Blades today. They have about 65 hours on them and have been sharpened 4 or 5 times since new; I bought them last July. There are a few nicks, nothing major, and cut well. However, does anyone know when they should be replaced?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
My first set lasted about 7 years. This set I only got in June. The old set was still decent, just the fins/wings were wearing down. I have only had to sharpen the new set twice.:fing32:

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
They should be replaced when the sides of the blade wear thin OR they are bent. If the sides wear thin they will break pieces off and you will effectively throw steel as the pieces exit the deck.

Dan

·
Registered
818 Posts
You need to watch the corners on multiple blade decks. Rounded corner will shorten the blade tip to tip and start leaving strips of uncut grass

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got 162 Hours on my Husqvarna with the original blades. They're still thick with plenty of meat left on them. There was a blade on the Gravely forum that looked like it should have been replaced years ago...it was whittled down to nearly nothing...I'll try to find the pic.

matt

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My gaters have almost 250hr on them.they cut a lot of grass and weeds. Have sharpened them 4 times.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
As long as the sharpened blades still do a quality cut when the mower is turning they're good to go around here.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

So from what I am hearing there is no one tried and true method for knowing when to replace a blades. However, it also sounds like I should get around 200 hours on them. I know xdiver86 has gotten more, but I assume if I sharpen the blades more often, the sooner I will have to replace them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I usually change them out when they look like this compaired to a new blade. But I also do things like drive over sagebrush with them. These had around 3 years of solid abuse and I don't sharpen them, I'm not mowing a lawn, just a field of weeds and sagebrush and wild onions, with the occasional dead rabbit.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks.

So from what I am hearing there is no one tried and true method for knowing when to replace a blades. However, it also sounds like I should get around 200 hours on them. I know xdiver86 has gotten more, but I assume if I sharpen the blades more often, the sooner I will have to replace them.
Not exactly. There is a method and its looking at the trailing edge and fins for wearing thin not the cutting edge. Its when the back edge wears out you risk breaking the blade(s) and sending shrapnel.

A good shop will tell you whether a blade can be sharpened or not. I learned this last summer after buying my machine I took the three blades in and they showed me how thin the back edges were and wouldn't sharpen them. I bought new ones instead and I didn't at the time, nor after being their customer for the last year feel I was being fed a line in order to get me to buy new blades. The comments in this post corroborate that I think.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I live in southern Va. and have been mowing 2 acres for about 5 years and just now really need to sharpen my blades, on the other hand my brother in law has about the same size place and has never gotten a full season from a set of blades because the sand wears them down to where they look more like kitchen knives.....

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Before it looks like this...

Yes... it still cut grass real well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Jimmy, that's the pic I was looking for. I mentioned the thread on here, but I didn't find it on the forum. Yep...I'd definatly change it before then, lol.

Matt

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Many mower manuals will give you a size that they can wear down to before they should be replaced. In the case of a Gravely Rapid XZ, it is when the tip of the blade is 1/2" back from where a new blade tip would be. On a 2.5" blade that means when it is at 2".

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
There still is a lot of life in those!

The bottom one is almost new.. abused tips.. but never sharpened. the top was still cutting grass and slinging bricks out of the Gravely L model.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts