My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was gonna try and clean the snow drifts this afternoon, but i couldn't start my tractor, so i decided to let it sit till monday where the weather will warm up considerably.

Right now, the weather high went to -29 ºC = -20.2 ºF. :crybaby:

So my question is, When is "too Cold" to try and start our tractors. (remember these tractors have Hydraulic fluid to push up the lines as soon as they are turned over) not just cold engine oil.

:dunno: :thanku:

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
I don't think it would matter if the proper oil is used for the temperature that machine is asked to operate in, but allow for proper warm-up before putting tractor into use. If needed I would use a little starting fluid to over come the cold gas which is harder to atomize when cold, or maybe a magnet block heater would help too with your type of cold temperature's.

·
Thedriver
24 Posts
I think if you have a good strong battery & starter, or a solid jump start, and a small click of starting fluid, :praying: and it won't start, it's to cold. as long as the tractor has been well cared for. once you get it to fire once, it's all good.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it would matter if the proper oil is used for the temperature that machine is asked to operate in, but allow for proper warm-up before putting tractor into use. If needed I would use a little starting fluid to over come the cold gas which is harder to atomize when cold, or maybe a magnet block heater would help too with your type of cold temperature's.
:thanku:

I thaught about the magnet block heater but I'm afraid it needs a little more than that.

Last year, or maybe 2 years ago, I forget. I had to drape a heavy military canvas tent over the entire tractor, and I turned on 2 hair dryers to warm everything up. after 2 hours I was able to work the chodke cable and start the tractor.

This far North, it gets damp, and cold snaps overnight, making everything freeze to the point you can't even open your car doors,or the windshield washer fluid freezes right at the dash output nipple.

Today, is one of those days. :crybaby:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Starting was my biggest gripe about Case/Ingersoll. I had a 446 and two 448's before all my dealers left the state. They never had a big enough battery in them to start in cold weather. My neighbor had a 318 John Deere with virtually the same engine but his battery was twice as big as mine and his always started. I kept mine in a shed where I could plug in my kerosene heater and it would go in 15 minutes. Good luck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
(Saw the thread title when I came to the lawn & Garden section )

I have a hydro "yellow" tractor ( 1968 cub cadet 125 ) and use a kerosene fired torpedo to warm it up for about 30 minutes. Then it fires right up. Otherwise the fluid in the trans is too thick for it to turn over fast enough to start.

Just one of the smaller units but it makes my 12' x 20' shed warm in 10 minutes :fing32:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you located that its that cold?
It will be -30 or colder here in a day or so.
Rico, I'm just West of Ottawa. Its crazy cold here this weekend. My brother is in Northern Alberta, he says the same weather as you, -30c. and Here with the wind factor, -28 right now tonight.

Got to love Those January Cold spells.:thSick:

PS: You can keep this cold air when it gets to you, I don't need it back. :thanku:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Rico, I'm just West of Ottawa. Its crazy cold here this weekend. My brother is in Northern Alberta, he says the same weather as you, -30c. and Here with the wind factor, -28 right now tonight.

Got to love Those January Cold spells.:thSick:

PS: You can keep this cold air when it gets to you, I don't need it back. :thanku:
Didn't think it got that cold. But at least machines don't feel wind chill. Ottawa is -21 right now. I believe thats pretty cold for Ottawa!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I know what you mean. This weather is the dumps. I like snow but not the cold

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Didn't think it got that cold. But at least machines don't feel wind chill. Ottawa is -21 right now. I believe thats pretty cold for Ottawa!
It -27c WITHOUT the wind chill right now. It's going your way. Have fun with this Arctic Air. :crybaby:

Looks like I might have to warm the tractor up if I want seat time today. :dunno:

·
Landscaping Nut
1,365 Posts
Correct weight oil in hyd and motor along with a fully charged healthy battery. With Case/Ingersoll small battery a good boost with good battery and large diameter cable and good bite clamps would push it over the hump.

I remember reading elsewhere about limiting factors for operating equipement even farther north in alaska and artic circle/antartica. At some point materials become so brittle due to the cold things starting breaking and it just becomes pointless to try and do work with certain machines. You just have to wait it out till spring.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It -27c WITHOUT the wind chill right now. It's going your way. Have fun with this Arctic Air. :crybaby:

Looks like I might have to warm the tractor up if I want seat time today. :dunno:
Won't be coming against the jet stream but we will be very cold this week at below -30.
Any air cooled motor left outside will be hard to start. I keep my 446 in the garage.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Won't be coming against the jet stream but we will be very cold this week at below -30.
Any air cooled motor left outside will be hard to start. I keep my 446 in the garage.
I wish, Mine is too big to fit inside my shed now. so it stays under a tarp.

I thaught the arctic low's were moving in a counter clockwise direction, returning North West, to come back down your way.

Doesn't matter, It's too cold for seat time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.