My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you have to do to a mower before you can call it restored? Is cleaning, inspecting and repainting enough? Or do you have to replace every seal, gasket, piston, rod and bearing that is on the machine?

If it's not broke why fix it? Of course replace the obvious broken and wear parts.

·
Premium Member
10,163 Posts
I guess "restored" is in the eye-of-the-beholder. I know none of mine are "factory" but I do know what I did to them, much documented on MTF. I like to consider them restored, but a true Ford or Craftsman owner may feel differently. I do get comments from the regular visitors that they are better than new.

·
Super Moderator
38,018 Posts
To me restored is put back in good working order with new paint on it. I'm not talking show quality or even OEM paint schemes here!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Larry, I'd call your stuff resto-mod.
For something I had rebuilt the engine and painted it up, I'd call that thoroughly gone through. My definition of "restored" is more along the lines of concourse style work, correct everything. I prefer something that is built to suit the needs of the user, though, rather than something that is pure as-built stock.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
To me it means to restore it to the way it was when it left the factory. Not always able to use OMC gaskets etc... but as long as they are new, I still see that as viable.

It also depends on how many ciders I drank in the process...:trink40:

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,612 Posts
I think the word "restored" should almost never be used to describe a machine's condition. It just has no real meaning without a detailed explanation. The same with "like new"; it implies "same as new" and that is almost never the case. Seems like it would be better to just give the facts.

Gerald

·
Lawn Boy
1,584 Posts
It must be completely returned to the condition it was just as it was being carried off the production line. You must have an OEM OMC cardboard shipping box wiht no dents, tears, markings, or scuffs on it other than a shipping label. When the box is opened, you must still catch at least a faint whiff of smoke from an unfiltered Chesterfield or Lucky Strike from the workingman's last smoke break. Any ambient dust from the factory must still be present on the shroud and deck as well.

I can be such a ******* sometimes.... :)

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
When the box is opened, you must still catch at least a faint whiff of smoke from an unfiltered Chesterfield or Lucky Strike from the workingman's last smoke break. Any ambient dust from the factory must still be present on the shroud and deck as well. :)
A DNA test is a plus....

To restore means to return to original condition. If that is not what you are doing, you may wish to call it 'refurbished'.

·
Premium Member
10,163 Posts
4X4 I think you are correct.
Indy, G-1, Peoria, and Lilys Dad.

Sometimes.... Well all the time I find the Factory version can always be improved on. Brass bushings instead of plastic, Ball Bearings instead of brass, etc. Seats can always be upgraded, and many times the engine will need bored out requireing new pistons rings etc. I think it would be real difficult to bring one back to "box" condition, although not impossible. I for one feel good with the Resto-Mod.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I can tell you what's NOT "restored" and that's taking a can of green paint (the correct shade though) and spraying everything, including over the dirt and grease, overspray on just about every part, then taking pictures of it and posting it on Ebay as "restored". In the low res. pictures on Ebay it's nearly impossible to see imperfections and overspray... And yes, I was the unfortunate victom (buyer) of such a machine. It's a bricktop and does run well and the price wasn't terrible, so it's on the slate for a real "refurbish" of the paint at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts