My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got back to working on my 8N. I took the fenders off to start the body work and that got me really looking at my wheels. They are both mounted different! One has the bolts mounting the outer rim to the inter rim going out to in and the other is the opposite. This makes one look like a deep dish rim. I assume they should be going inward so the threads are not exposed on the outside? Any reason to run them the other way? Guess I will have to have the tire demounted and flipped on one of the rims.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Your right wheel has the center part mounted on the outer rim allowing the wheel to be farther out than the left one. When you take the center section off the rim you can reverse it like the left wheel, however, the tire thread will be opposite the left wheel if you get my information correct. In doing this you can have all the bolts-nuts facing inside. If you will check you should have the valve stem facing inside on the left wheel whereas the right wheel shows the valve stem facing out.

I think that is what you are trying to tell us here.

·
Registered
680 Posts
There are many tire mounting options for these old fords. You could widen out to match whatever implement you were using. I typicaly have mine setup like the last picture so that the tractor will track with my 5ft cutter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I just looked and there is about a 2 inch difference between them. That is a neat way to change the tracking width. Ford thought of everything!

This had new tires when I purchased it and I'm betting they messed up and mounted one tire back wards but since it was going up for sale did not change it.

I think I will have them both switched like my last picture. As FD611V said my tread would be going the wrong way so I will have to bring the tire to someone to take it off and swap around ( I know better than to try it myself with limited tire tools).

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
You should only have to turn one tire on the rim around and then move them in or out to the spacing you require. Your owners manual will show the many positions. Once you have the tires going in the right direction you can also switch them from one side to the other to optain the position you need.
BTW; since the tire was put on new from the perious owner is shouldn't be that hard to change yourself. I used to wrestle my own tires off with a couple of spoons and a sledge hammer. I have since purchased a manual tire changer from harbor freight for about $50.
It has paid for itself many times over. Hardest thing is picking the tire up to get it on the machine.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,573 Posts
Ok, I just looked and there is about a 2 inch difference between them. That is a neat way to change the tracking width. Ford thought of everything!

This had new tires when I purchased it and I'm betting they messed up and mounted one tire back wards but since it was going up for sale did not change it.

I think I will have them both switched like my last picture. As FD611V said my tread would be going the wrong way so I will have to bring the tire to someone to take it off and swap around ( I know better than to try it myself with limited tire tools).
I had my tires and tubes done at Briscoe Tire in Denton..Have the pros do it..:trink39:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kirk, that looks like a slick way of doing it. I was at Harbor Freight the other day looking at the small tire changer to do a few lawn tractor tires. After I practice on a few smaller ones I may attempt one of these large tractor tires but for now I see a trip to Briscoe Tire in my future.

I will take it down there when I remove it to change out the rear seals/brakes.

·
Registered
194 Posts

As suggested above, you may want the pros do it. They may be full of fluid and what do you do with that? Got a pump to take it out and in???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts