My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Professional Homeowner
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 37" mowing deck for my WheelHorse. The blades (two blade deck) are $65 a whack from WheelHorse dealer (that's my first mistake, right?). I'm wondering if I can find the correct width blade for a push mower or something for $15 at a BB store, bolt it on, and go. How much different can they be?

The Hi-Lift blades from Toro are a part of the bagging kit I have, so I get bent over at the dealer ever few years. I don't see the point of the little angled pieces of steel at the end of the lift blade what are held on with bolts. Seems like at that speed (it has to be about 3,000 RPM, since the drive pulley and the pullies on the deck are pretty close to the same size) those bolts would create a lot of unnecessary drag, and burn across the top of the grass, causing poor cut.

Also, what kind of consequenses (besides power loss) do you figure I would have installing a 2nd lift blade on the non-discharge side of the deck? The chute is always clogging up, and suction has never been very good. I've tried running the deck on all different levels, but it seems to clog up SOOOOOOOOOOO easily.

My dad's ZTR Cub Cadet has 2 hi lift blades (tri blade deck). Given it has a bigger chute (like 10" - 12" diameter - I kid you not), it almost never clogs up on me, even when I intentionally try. My WheelHorse, I have to really putter through the not-very-long grass to keep it from clogging, and even then, it still does. Even when only taking 1/2 deck width pass. The only time it won't clog is when I'm running my mow-n-vac trailer.

Input would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of over paying for blades. Anybody else try this? I mean, it's not like I'm trying to run a mis-matched internal engine part, like 2 different pistons. It's just a blade, after all.

:thanku:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
steddy,

I had that same deck on my '87 312-8 with the right side blade having lift tabs welded on if I recall correctly. I never liked the cut I got with it, but don't recall clogging issue with the bagger. Not sure I ever replaced the blades on it. However, I have gator blades for my 48" deck and all three have wings (for lack of a better description) sticking up on the back of the blades at each end. These might work by giving you the extra air volume as well as cut the grass up more finely (their main purpose) to help with avoiding clogs while bagging. You can take your OEM blade measurements and see if they make a matching blade, or if you have your OEM blade number, you can match it that way. Just a thought..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had a 37" deck with rear bagger for over 20 years and rarely ever plug the thing. Granted there is no way to know if you and I cut in similar conditions, but I wonder if something else might be the culprit here.

Is your belt new and tight, is the PTO clutch adjusted tightly enough, is there a big buildup of schmutz under there, etc? That 37" deck is not the most heavy duty of the WH decks, but they mostly are good cutters. And that extra long, convoluted, 6 surfaced belt might be a fault.

I don't think adding a second blade with the airfoils will help much and it seems - from memory - that there isn't much space b/t the deck and the blades on that side. Since the blades do actually flex up and down when cutting or especially when hitting some kind of obstacle there might be instances where they would hit the bottom of the deck or the baffles underneath.

I've never checked for a non-OEM replacement for the high lift blade but I'd bet you can find one on Sohar's or partstree.

Best of luck,
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts